Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I came across a case of Remington 338MX ammo (long story), so I am gonna pick up a 338MX in the next week or two, and wanted some advice about the serial numbers. Which ones should I avoid? Also, if anyone knows of any around Pittsburgh PA for a fair price please let me know as well. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There is no hard and fast rule; but generally the earlier the serial number prefix the safer you hedge your bet; i.e. a "91" serial number prefix gun is a safer bet than a "92" prefix, a low number early "92" prefix gun is a safer bet than a later higher numbered "92" prefix, etc. But the best way to hedge your bet is to examine your prospect gun personally; carefully checking for any signs of barrel misalignment (barrel drooping downwards or to one side), sights not in alignment and/or not positioned vertically, forend wood gaps at the frame (wood should be flush against the frame at all contact points on the sides and bottom). Be patient until you find the right example, as the 338MX/XLR is one heck of a levergun/cartridge combination and you will be very glad you took your time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
92XXXX's are the earlier Marlin built New Haven Connecticut guns. 91's are the later Remlins. Don't know if all the 91's are Remlins though. One of the ealier post here made sense of the prod date for ser no's. Try for the 92's to be safer, but I found a good 91XXXX MX 22" barrel at Cabelas in Post Falls Idaho last week. The MXLR 24" barrel they had was junk! But that's not to say all 91XXXX MXLR are junk.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Leadnut is correct, I got the 92 and 91 serial number prefix indicators backwards as to production period; I'll blame it on old-timers disease.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Welcome aboard! Let us know how your rifle shoots :)

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
I would just look the rifle over real good or have a gunsmith check out the receiver barrel fit.
I went through 4 rifles before I found one I thought was OK. It is a 91XXXXX serial # with a REP proof barrel. I guess that makes it a "mixed breed" but I don't care as it shoots good ;D
You might also find some serial numbers that start with MRXXXXX and they would be new production rifles.

And we are going to need pictures when you get one ;)

-chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts