Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found a 2008 .338MX. The first 3 characters of the s/n are 920 and I'm told it has the JM and says New Haven, CT. Does anyone know if the misaligned barrel problem affected the 2008 rifles as well or if there are other problems to be concerned about? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
It shouldn't have. I have a very early 2009 gun...91 followed by 4 0's, and it's JM marked and North Haven, and it's perfect.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for reminding me ihunter338, I had forgotten about the fixing post. Man, isn't this a great forum, I haven't bought my rifle yet, and I already have the answer to a possible problem. Where else can you see that? :) ;) :D ;D

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
2shotal said:
Thank you for reminding me ihunter338, I had forgotten about the fixing post. Man, isn't this a great forum, I haven't bought my rifle yet, and I already have the answer to a possible problem. Where else can you see that? :) ;) :D ;D
Al, looks like a go ahead for that buy. ;D One more Marlin added to the rack............

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
This is funny I just got off another thread discussing The droop barrel issue. I checked my 338MX and looked for this problem.

But before I say more this rifle was sent back to HN. CT. service shop for cycling problems. This 338MX never had a problem before and after the warranty work with mounting a scope and accuracy.

I bought this rifle in 2009 July and the first 3 characters of the s/n are 920 too. It just has the J marked and North Haven on the barrel.

I am eyeballing it and can't see this barrel droop.

I really like this rifle and caliber and will be using the hell out of it in the coming nice days.

I would like to know if this barrel/receiver misalignment goes back to 2008 Too.

TO NY
Edit. the screwdriver fix didn't work for me it was a bigger issue.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1895Gunner said:
Al, looks like a go ahead for that buy. ;D One more Marlin added to the rack............
Yep ..... just waiting for a response to an email I sent, unless I hear something really negative from the seller, and if they get back to me before eod, it will be a done deal today!

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
2shotal said:
Yep ..... just waiting for a response to an email I sent, unless I hear something really negative from the seller, and if they get back to me before eod, it will be a done deal today!
You better get it Al. You can't have me testing loads for a gun you don't have, and vice versa! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Halwg said:
You better get it Al. You can't have me testing loads for a gun you don't have, and vice versa! ;D
Speaking of which ...... whose dies are u using? As you know, I have a Lee turret, and I haven't check Lee's catalog/website yet, do you know if they have them? I'll probably shoot the Hornady LEs for a while (remember I'm now a gainfully employed retiree ;D ) I don't have as much time as b4 for reloading. I don't know if Ramshot is usable for this caliber either and I have a 7 lbs unopened container. Still waiting for a response to my email, so it looks like the deal will not be done today.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
2shotal said:
Speaking of which ...... whose dies are u using? As you know, I have a Lee turret, and I haven't check Lee's catalog/website yet, do you know if they have them? I'll probably shoot the Hornady LEs for a while (remember I'm now a gainfully employed retiree ;D ) I don't have as much time as b4 for reloading. I don't know if Ramshot is usable for this caliber either and I have a 7 lbs unopened container. Still waiting for a response to my email, so it looks like the deal will not be done today.
I have the Hornady dies. Last time I checked Lee didn't have the dies yet.

You are a working retiree? Isn't that an oxymoron? ;D

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Halwg said:
You are a working retiree? Isn't that an oxymoron? ;D
Yes, but remember, I was unemployed at the tender age of 64 (a couple of months b4 I turned 65) and was out of work for 20 months, so I started to collect early retirement (65 vs 66). Anyway, at almost 67, we are allowed to have as many oxymorons as we want. ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts