Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting this out there to all who own a 338MX rifle. I have a few boxes of Hornady ammo and I have been buying brass when I see it on sale. So far I have only seen Hornady brass. I'm wondering if I should continue to stock up on brass in case manufacturers decide to stop making components for this cartridge. I have dies and some stock of Hornady bullets but it does not look like Marlin is making these rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a 338 MX, but like the other members here with a 308 ME, I have also stocked up on components.
Yeah--I guess it is better to be safe than sorry but I feel like I'm hoarding. I did buy dies for both 308ME and 338ME calibers----I guess we have to be self sufficient on some of these non mainstream calibers.

·
Super Moderator
23,682 Posts
i highly doubt if the rifles will ever be produced again.
same with the 444 375 and 308mx...
but there will always be a few around here and there.
hard to say but i believe hornady will continue to make the
ammo even if its just a run here and there.
at one time i owned one of each but they sat so i finally
decided to let someone else enjoy them.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Same situation with the 307 and 356 Winchester. I have bought many boxes of loaded ammo in 356 and have a lifetime supply of new 307 brass. Another consideration is just the politically caused component shortages. I have dies and components squirreled away for everything I shoot.

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Same situation with the 307 and 356 Winchester. I have bought many boxes of loaded ammo in 356 and have a lifetime supply of new 307 brass. Another consideration is just the politically caused component shortages. I have dies and components squirreled away for everything I shoot.
:dito:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another consideration is just the politically caused component shortages. I have dies and components squirreled away for everything I shoot.
+1, Always buy the dies and brass for whatever I shoot. Never know when those items might become expensive to nonexistent.

Thomas

·
Super Moderator
23,682 Posts

Yep. I had one of each on them as well.
I guess the allure of owning something different just didn't last.
I don't get why these great cartriges are not being produced and offered up
in new rifles...but I hold out hope with Henry.
If anybody does it they might.
They did finally do a 35.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I stock up on components for my .338MXs and brass for my .308MXs. It is actually cheaper to buy factory ammo and save the brass, from what I have found. I have enough now to likely last many years. Bullets are my short fall, might need a few more. Worse come to worse, can use cast which I would rather not in this caliber or have a two shot rifle with other production bullets. don't forget about Hawk Bullets.

·
Premium Member
10,621 Posts
I don't think those rifles will ever be made by Remington, 'cuz they don't know how to build them to pass function tests............

That said, .............I think the components will always be available in the market, but you'll need to search them out...........NOT at Walmart or Cabela's, either!

As I, and others have done with the 356, 444, and others...........stock up on Brass and Bullets and don't worry about the future..............I know more than a few guys running smoothly with 300/303 Savages, 250-3000 Savages, 7-30 Waters and others.............

None of these calibers are for NON Re-loaders, but the shooter should know that when acquiring the rifle................

Tom

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Is the only brass to use to form 338 ME the 376 Steyr?

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
The next obama will try to eliminate (as much as possible) all Civilian ammunition and components. I'd rather feel like a hoarder than a guy with no ammo.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I seem to only shoot obsolete and odd-ball cartridges so I think of 338ME as main-stream. Even 35 Remington ammo and brass will occasionally be hard to find.
If I can find components to load and shoot my 50-70 Gov't Sharps carbine, then a 338ME won't be a problem.
200 pieces of brass will last a long time. Just don't get crazy and buy 400 pieces like I did with the 50-70. That stuff lasts forever.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The next obama will try to eliminate (as much as possible) all Civilian ammunition and components. I'd rather feel like a hoarder than a guy with no ammo.
Yeah--The way things have been going the Obamalites will choke gun owners with a combo of fees and registration renewals to hurt us in the pocketbook. Then choke off reloading components or put unreasonable restrictions on shipping powder and primers. We cannot allow another Obama to reign.

Reactions: rob42049
1 - 20 of 20 Posts