Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent acquisition. Very smooth action with nice overall fit and finish. Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20mm in Leupold Rifleman rings on supplied picatinny rail installed.

At the range today to check 225gr TTSX Barnes VOR-TX factory ammo muzzle speed. Sighted in with this ammo. And to see if the rifle functions reliably in cold temperature as well as to compare 225gr Federal Trophy Copper ammo performance.

Functions reliably. Groups could be better - if it weren't for the wind chill and my frozen numb trigger finger. ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
My .338 Win mod 70 patterns Hornady Superformance .225 gr pretty good. You may want to give them a try.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less adverse conditions groups ~1" at 100 yards off bench with 225gr Barnes VOR-TX ammo. Translates to acceptable off hand accuracy which is the more practical measure under field conditions. Meets expectations for factory load accuracy.

Mono bullets such as TTSX and Trophy Copper preferred but available weights are a bit light for intended purpose. Might eventually run handloads with 275gr Swift A-Frame.

·
Premium Member
10,944 Posts
Don't care for the newer BAR's, got my eye on a buddy's approx 30 year old 338 win mag. I was with him when he bought it, and the only time he shot it. My super grade mod 70 is fine, but after all these years, acting a bit more cantankerous ..............especially on the bench. :flute:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Slamfire, While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the A-Frames, the mono’s will penetrate as good or better, while offering much better long range performance. If you can get the rifle to group well enough, that longer ranges are feasible, they may be a good option. It appears that your getting pretty good velocities with those mono’s, only 100 fps less than what I’m getting with my wife’s .338 bolt gun! memtb

Reactions: slamfire

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ballistics compared. 225gr TTSX at 2800fps vs hypothetical 275gr Swift A-Frame at say 2500 fps. On paper difference isn't much -

·
Registered
309 Posts
Slamfire, Holdover, with range known is quite easy to accomplish....either with hold-over, or a scope with dials for range compensation. Now throw a 10 mph, 90 degree crosswind, this is where velocity and BC make shots easier for the shooter. I haven’t run the numbers, but I suspect if the wind is misjudged badly.....a “wounding” miss is certainly a strong possibility! However, @ 500 yards and under, it’s not as critical as when “stretched” farther! As the vast majority of us will likely never shoot beyond 500 yards......my comments may be a non-issue! memtb

Reactions: slamfire

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Generally a close range hunting in the timber rifle. But if in open areas longer range shots, say out to 300 yards, could happen.

Excellent results with TSX in medium and heavy calibers - good expansion, high weight retention and decent penetration. Not so good results with jacketed. Except Swift A-Frame.

TSX example ~2500 fps impact speed 416 caliber 300gr TSX recovered from Bull Moose.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ballistics compared revised. Bob Hagel article lists 225gr at 2897 fps and 275gr at 2660 fps. Definite maybe to handload 275gr Swift A-Frame -

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heavier factory load available - Buffalo Bore 250gr TSX. Going with these instead for hunting. Need to check muzzle speed and sight in. Next.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to test fire this week sometime. I handload my .338 Win Mag Ruger Hawkeye but reluctant to void the Benelli 10 year warranty just yet by firing handloads through it. Premium quality 250gr TSX Buffalo Bore factory loads should meet performance expectations. And doesn't void the warranty.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=312

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Nice walnut stock! Impressed with the quality of these rifles. Action design utilizes their A.R.G.O system which was developed for the M4 tactical shotgun for the USMC. Reliable.

https://www.benelliusa.com/resources/argo
I have done some reading on them and one reason I bought mine without having ever shot one was the Benelli name and reputation and the history of the system they use. I wanted a 308 Win on semi auto and Benelli was my choice. Very light but does have some recoil.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts