Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's raining in the Yakima Valley today so no shooting for Me so I got board and decided to work on My trigger pull witch is 5 1/2 lbs and it is to stiff for Me. so I went back to the gunsmithing forum and reread the post on trigger pull and gently started to work on it using a medium grit diamond stone, I used a marker on the back angel and just took off the tip till the back was shinny again. When I got it back together it was 3 1/2 lbs just what I wanted. If I can do this anyone can do it, how easy, I love the site for all the information on it so now maybe My groups will tighten a little bit. Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
When can I drop mine off ;) ;D

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I have several Marlins that I should work on to smooth out the trigger. My problem is that I don't want to disassemble the rifle to get to the trigger. I guess I'm lazy.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
If my 338MX trigger was at 5-1/2 lbs, I wouldn't even clean it!
I can't find my scale so this is only a WAG but mine seemed like 15lbs when I started. I think I've cut that in half using the same procedures you followed. Now maybe I'll try to adjust the spring per Swany's directions and hopefully it'll be around 6lbs which is what I'd like in a hunting rifle.

I think my 308MX is around 5lbs and it is a deer kill'n' machine!

-chris

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cris, I Love to shoot all year long if possible and shooting off sand bags or the slide I find that at 5 1/2 lbs I seem to jerk the trigger more. My336 30-30 has a 2 1/2 lb pull and that's the way it came, I didn't touch it and I seem to be more accurate with it. maybe I just need more practice squeezing the trigger. Dennis

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
FWIW one of the issues Paducah Shooters found on my 338MXLR was my trigger was out of spec and measured about 8 lbs. It definitely affected the consistency of my shooting.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If one of my Marlins did not have a gritty, hard, creepy, trigger with lots of flop I would not know what to do. FWIW, the older ones are even worse than the newer ones, now that CT Marlins are collectors items, I might be able to sell them all and buy a proper gun collection in a few years. NOT!!! Love them all, even if the triggers are crap.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I wish all my Marlins had the trigger that my mid eighties 1895 has,...it makes good groups easy to come by...love that gun

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And they can! Hey Calvin after I worked on my trigger, I shot a couple of boxes threw my 308 and instead of the occasional jerk it was sweet. the marlin is easy to adjust thanks to the info from the Pros here on this site! they probably should charge but I'm glad they don't.Oh when I went out to shoot I found out I didn't snug the screw that holds the stock on! It felt funny! I'm a little slow but I figured it out, I felt a little Dumb for that one. Hope Your doing OK! Dennis

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I think it takes more work to tear down the rifle and install a WW trigger than it does to follow the sticky to do a trigger job, but people like to spend the extra bucks.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
FredT said:
I think it takes more work to tear down the rifle and install a WW trigger than it does to follow the sticky to do a trigger job, but people like to spend the extra bucks.
And that's how the guys at WWG get to take those African safaris! ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts