Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dang it boy, 338 mxlr just sold mins ago for 1580 on gunbroker. time to dust mine off and get er sold at that price while the market is hot, will it get hotter>>>>>...just crazy, plumb crazy...or going to put on here and try to trade for 1500 worth of jms.but for some reason I would feel guilty asking that on this forum, yall are like family that I like....lol this is ridiculous fellows. just thought Id let you no we've got ourselves a goldmine in these mxlrs....still scratching head on this.. just don't let the wives no. we will come home to empty safes, lol. have a good evening.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I'll be holding onto mine. Payed 1000 for mine with 75 rounds of ammo. It's looking like I got a great deal

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
XMAN, you got a very good deal.

I'm still waiting to see your range report posted in the Express forum with a few choice close up shots of your 338mxlr. When are you going to put that together buddy?

Jack

Reactions: Brocky and XMAN

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got mine cheap last year, same price I paid for my 308 mxlr in 07. just got to many to kill so few deer with, lol. Have been contemplating it, just wanted to rattle some cages, some say they never will get rid of theirs, but since I got the 308 yrs ago that goes where I go... which is being modified right now , cut, bead blasted and other goodies, and Ive yet to shot the 338, someone chime in and say its ok dave, we've sold some we wish we had not, lol, its gonna be ok, the money will make u feel better...

Reactions: XMAN

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I wouldn't sell it just for the heck of it.........but if I had something else on my wish list I'd send it down the road. It's just like the stock market, there's no shame in taking a profit while you can.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Think I should put mine up for sale, but its only a 338MX:hmmmm:
Oh well
T:biggrin: NY

Reactions: djj2012 and XMAN

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
XMAN, you got a very good deal.

I'm still waiting to see your range report posted in the Express forum with a few choice close up shots of your 338mxlr. When are you going to put that together buddy?

Jack
Jack I'm waiting on my happy trigger. But I did get to shoot it. Here's my best 100 yard group well sighting in the scope. Don't know why the picture is upside down.
uploadfromtaptalk1406120605233.jpg

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
XMAN, I suspect you took the picture with your iphone? They do upside down pictures.

Is your trigger heavy? Not bad shooting regardless but if you have a heavy trigger then the happy trigger will tighten that up.

Jack

Reactions: XMAN

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Man! For $1580 I would throw down on a Savage Model 12 Bench. Nothing like putting a 308 win sub MOA at 800 yrds. :)..

I sure would like to put a 338 in the safe for sure. I pretty happy with my 308ME for now though.

Hayden.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm not very smart so I suppose luck played a big part in my acquiring the .338 at the outset. It's a shooter but as Jack Said, a Timney would make it better.
I believe the current pricing reflects a bubble that will ease within a few months, we'll see.
Ss

·
Registered
401 Posts
There was an 338 mx that went for $799 today, and he had no bids on it for the last few times it was on there. I don't know anything else about the rifle.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Buddy of mine got $1850 on GB for his JM 4570 MXLR this past spring. Crazyness I tell ya.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I love my xlr's...

Was on a waiting list at my local gun shop for a 1895xlr at the begining of 2006. That April it went home with me, if i recall correct it was about $700 plus tax. After a couple years of shooting it, i got wise to the WWG happy triger.. This gun is one of my most prized hunting rifles.

A couple years ago, i got a deal on a LNIB 338mxlr witha 4-12x40 leupold vx1, $1100 + $35 shipping + $30 transfer fee. With a WWG trigger installed and the Hornady LeverEvolution this rifle is a tact driver. Off the bench, sub 1" groups. Never regretted that purchase.

If you think the xlr's are driving crazy prices, keep an eye out on the stainless marlin 1894 carbines with laminate stocks produced by Marlin for Davisons back in 2005 or 2006. Some one in upstate NY must have cleaned out the gun safe a couple weeks back. Gun Broker sold a half dozen of them and they went for approx $1800 each, and that was cheap. Depending on caliber, over the past couple of years, these guns normally sell for $1900 - $2500 each. Now thats crazy, a gun you could have picked up 8 years ago for $500 - $600, then sell for 3 or 4 times that. Better then playing the stock market.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For $1500, expect to see mine there soon. The gun is great, but I have other stuff to do. Am considering my 1895 Limited V 45-70 also. :-(

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
If you're a young guy think twice before selling your rifles. I talk to too many over 50 up Y/O people and they cries of "I had one of those sold it cheap." But it wasn't cheap at time they sold it.

I guess if you can get $1500. for a 338LXR before Rem. made 338XLR hit the LGS you can buy a Rem. made 338XLR at $800. to $900. plus tax or a MX for $150. to $200. less to fill the void.

T:hmmmm: NY

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
Even though I have my 2008 JM 338MX I'd still like to pick up a 338MXLR but I won't pay the prices the JM's are demanding. If the JM's don't come down in price once the Remlin's hit the LGS, then I may opt on finding a soundly made Remlin and put some nice walnut on it. But I'm in no hurry so we'll see.

Jack

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even though I have my 2008 JM 338MX I'd still like to pick up a 338MXLR but I won't pay the prices the JM's are demanding. If the JM's don't come down in price once the Remlin's hit the LGS, then I may opt on finding a soundly made Remlin and put some nice walnut on it. But I'm in no hurry so we'll see.

Jack
I think you will be surprised when / if they hit the market. When they put them in the catalog in the years ahead, is when i plan on letting mine go. After receiving my replacment 44mag in may (rep), and examining another 2014 model i saw this week when purchasing my Jm stbl, I can say you will be surprise of the 180 turnaround in the product. I will not hesitate to sell mine, and purchase a remington. We no the stories of why they turned out bad guns, but they have the new equipment and they are rolling out guns that to me are as good as the JM's.Just gonna take time for us marlin fanatics to get over the past. But if i can get 1600 for mine, Im gonna get it and move forward. My 44 mag is turning out to be my BEST shooter out of all my Marlins. It is my only redheaded stepchild (rep)but it has stepped up to the plate and hit a grand slam. I bore sited and took out to my range and was floored at the grouping at 50yds. Hopefully this week i can get it and my newly modifed 308mxlr back out there and get them finalized before hunting season starts. as u can see here, I think this was the last three shoots out of 5 shots total. I was just tinkering with it while the barrel cooled on another project. But i have nothing bad to say about it except i just dont like the stain color they use now. so with that said I can the change that....which leaves me zero to complain about. I saw a SBl also while at the store that I examined as well and it was flawless as well. I did write the serial number down to see what year it is/was (DONT NO HOW TO DECIFER REP SERIALS.) Have not had time to see if the SBl's are in the current 14 catalog or if it was old stock..but it was exactly what we expect from them. I had a JM STBL AND TWO REPS ALL ON THE COUNTER AND ACTUALLY THE FIT WAS PERFECT ON THE reps, the stbl was near perfect but could have been better in one area. But I still got it....plan on taking the xlr stock off my 338 and put on the stbl when i get it home, and vice versa, gonna have a 338mxlr with wood furniture from the stbl on it and when I sell it, i just might sell it like it is with the wood furniture as i love the xlr stocks. iF ITS A deal breaker on the 338mxlr, ill tell the perspective buyer, take it or leave it. go find you one somewhere else....And at the this time, I cant find a single one on the internet for sale.but last night I was moving scopes around and noticed more markings on my 338mxlr that went to Europe and back,,,,it has under the barrel stamped 09DEC07, another unique marking on it besides the europe proofstamps. Told wife, not sure i can ever sell this one since it has the unique proofstamps. have a great sunday. 44magt.jpg

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Take 308/338's advice if you are a young person, hang onto rifles that are in demand and that were not made by the millions. Most of us buy lever guns, but the older Remington Model 700 series that Remington was making years ago are a lot better than what they are putting out now. I saw them go for some inflated prices at a gun show last year but they are even more expensive now.

The age factor is a big issue. I saw a Marlin Cowboy 45-70 that was in pristine condition (but it had the lawyer safety) and the dealer wanted $1000 for it. At age 67 that is not a good investment for me .Its already priced too high so that's not something I would buy. For young folks that can snag a decent deal on a JM Marlin and sock it away is better than playing the stock market. Rumor has it that Marlin will not be making any more JM stamped rifles, so it can only go up in value. The only exception would be a Model 336 30-30 with a 20" barrel. There are so many of them it can be difficult to make any money on one. However, I really don't buy them to re-sell them, and I shoot what I like and have some fun. I have a number of 30-30's to take out the range and switch off. When you get on the back 9 of life, your priorities change.

Mike T,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts