Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 338 mxlr that I purchased brand new I don’t remember when at this point. I recently installed a scope on it and found that I could not get it sighted in due to running out of adjustment, so I did what everyone does and turned to the internet and I found that I have the dreaded barrel droop. I don’t have a Jm stamp barrel that I can tell, I have never sent the gun anywhere for repairs. Is this something that everyone is just living with or are you guys having this fixed? It has been probably 8 years since I have shot this gun on iron sights but I don’t remember it having accuracy issues.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,771 Posts
The only fix is a new receiver
the ones with the droop were threaded crooked.
it will have to be returned to be fixed.

the question is since these are no longer in production
will Remington repair it?
i am sure you can call them and ask.

·
Super Moderator
15,728 Posts
Yes, what Navajo said... You can shoot it straight with iron sights because both sights are on the barrel and in line with the barrel... It is when you try with a scope or a peep sight that is mounted on the receiver that you run into problems...

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Very interesting, yours is a 2009 which should be a JM but the barrel is stamped REP which is REMLIN.

My understanding is that Remington will not repair it.
1. It is out of warrenty
2. They have no receivers left to repair it.

Somebody on here already tried to go through Marlin to get it fixed.
Your only hope might be if they go back in production again but that is a long shot.
Call Marlin and see what they say but explain the issue thoroughly and ask if they have receivers before you send it in.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Living with it - mine has droop. I knew it early on but was afraid to send it in for fear of all the send-back horror stories I kept reading. I shimmed the crap out of it, used Burris Z rings, and tried a few different scopes. I eventually found one that allowed me to get on target. I've killed a fair number of moose and caribou with it (including one yesterday). I plan to take it to Africa on a trip I have scheduled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not noticed off center strikes but I also never looked so I will do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone I will give them a call and see what they say. If they will not fix it i might just get rid of it and move on.

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
Saw your pic--REP is Remington Peters stamp. How bad is the droop ? You can tell if you mount a scope and then pull out the bolt so you can bore sight it. Line up the bore on a bench rest with the target bulls eye at 50 yrds and then look into the scope and see how high the crosshairs are. If you have to crank it down all the way to line it up on the bulls eye you can tell how bad the droop is. You would want to be on target with the scope elevation in the middle of it's adjustment. You can shim the rear scope mount to raise it and compensate for the droop. It will shoot fine if you can shim to adjust the scope to be parallel with the barrel angle. It's a good hunting caliber worth saving. Hopefully it is only a downward droop and not off to left or right too.

PS--Remington cannot fix it at this point in time.

Reactions: Kevin.M

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
Cowboy, view the OP's first pic using a straight edge butted to the receiver and note the barrel at the end relative to the straight edge, his rifle has significant BD.

With that much BD you need to be concerned with improper head spacing. Enough that I personally wouldn't fire it.

Unfortunately, Remington ran out of NH JM receivers to replace receivers with BD.

My contact in Marlin tech claims Remington intends on reintroducing the 308ME rifles. Of course, I've heard this since 2012 and they haven't yet done so. Should they actually do so they'll need to run the ME receivers that have v-threads rather than the square threads.

You should contact Marlin's tech department and explain your 338MXLR has significant BD and inquire when they will have receivers available to fix yours. They may or may not warranty it but if they indeed run the ME receivers, you can at least appropriately fix the BD with a new receiver. Your head space should then be good to go and you'll be able to properly use a scope.

Do keep us informed what Marlin tells you.

Good luck.

Jack

·
Registered
583 Posts
Buy some 20moa scope mounts or at least one so up can use it as an adjustable shim!

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
Folks, when giving advice, please error on the side of safety.

Proper headspace isn't just for accuracy, it's for safety. A lot of factors are at play in proper head spacing, one is proper alignment of the bolt face relative to the cartridge. Especially in a lever rifle with a cartridge that produces a lot of bolt thrust. The 338ME is a high pressure fat cartridge that happens to have significant bolt thrust. This increases the need to have proper alignment of the bolt face relative to the cartridge.

The barrel droop in the OP's rifle is the worst I've seen, consequently producing serious bolt face to cartridge misalignment. Proper alignment plays a significant role in handling the 338ME's high pressure and bolt thrust.

That said, I would not recommend firing it. Period!

To further understand the significance of proper headspace and alignment of the bolt face relative to the cartridge, view this video and pay close attention starting at the 1:55 time mark to 3:05. Note: this is with a bolt action which has a much stronger lockup action than a lever rifle.

Jack

Headspace, what it is, and why it matters

·
Super Moderator
23,915 Posts
Do not shoot that rifle! You do NOT have a straight line between the receiver/barrel/bolt. Bad things will happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same issue with a 2009 308ME last year. I contacted Remington/Marlin and explained the issue. They ask me to box it, they sent fedex to pick it up, repaired it and returned it to me at no cost. Now I have a JM barrel with a MR serial number on the receiver which takes a little getting used to, but at least I feel it is safe to shoot now. It may have been a stroke of luck that it worked out that way, but you never know unless you ask. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
23,915 Posts
I believe REMLIN did produce 308ME rifles and receivers but I don't think they ever produced 338ME rifles or receivers.
It's doubtful they have any 338 receivers.
Remlin produced 308ME rifles between 2012-2014 but used JM receivers. All the old CT receivers were used up so no new 308 ME rifles have been made since then.

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
I believe REMLIN did produce 308ME rifles and receivers but I don't think they ever produced 338ME rifles or receivers.
It's doubtful they have any 338 receivers.

I asked my contact in Marlin tech whether Remington ever produced any of the ME receivers and he told me flat out, no.

The 308ME production run they ran were all built on NH JM left over receivers. The ran the ME barrels to make that production run is all. They have since ran out of ME receivers so in order to fix additional ME BD rifles, they'll need to make a run of ME receivers.

That is corroborated but the recent gent whose 308ME had BD, my contact told him they plan on reintroducing the 308ME and when they do, they'll then be able to replace his receiver. Until then, his ME is an expensive paper weight.

That said, the more folks who contact Remington with BD, the more inclined Remington will feel a need to produce their receivers.

Jack

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Remlin produced 308ME rifles between 2012-2014 but used JM receivers. All the old CT receivers were used up so no new 308 ME rifles have been made since then.
Which prob means they never blueprinted and made new templates/software to produce these on their new CNC equipment.

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
Which prob means they never blueprinted and made new templates/software to produce these on their new CNC equipment.

I seem to recall Tomray mentioning something regarding the blueprints, I don't recall whether it was them being tossed or what.

FWIW, all of Marlin 336 receivers are the same and then machined to the calibers specs. Of course, ME's require the v-threads to handle the ME high pressure. But the 336 receivers all begin the same.

IOW, there is no difference between the 308 and 338 ME receiver. Although, Tomray conveyed the 338ME should have had it's own receiver to allow extra room between the bbl and mag tube.

Jack

1 - 20 of 36 Posts