Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ladies and gentleman my first post is not a happy one. Touchy feely perhaps. A touch ticked off and feeling pretty sick. My tenth anniversary last year and I dumped a big wad of cash on a ring for the woman of my dreams. That's not sarcasm, she is worth every cent and more. I had been itching for a new lever gun and had to choose between a Browning, Winchester, or Marlin. I own Winchesters and Marlins and am still a little put off by Browning prices so I decided to go with Marlin because of the new .338 offering. My wife couldn't find one in time so she waited until now. My local gun shop owner helped her find one and she ordered it for me. Of course not knowing anything about guns she never opened the box. Heck who would Marlin is a trusted name right? Wrong!!!! This thing is junk. Floppy trigger, Bad bluing on top of barrel, Bad stock and forearm fit at receiver, The slot through the bolt where the lever is engaged looks like it was chiseled by hand, rough finish inside the barrel - grabs the patch when oiling, and last but by no means least drum roll here yup you guessed it, Barrel droop. Of course its a 91 serial number. But on the bright side other than feeling like gravel it feeds and ejects shells just great. But what the hay, it should for a $562 paper weight. It's going back A.S.A.P. Anyone have any good results getting one of these repaired or replaced? Do they come back like they should have been to start with? My wife is heart broke, makes me want to find a new gun shop but its not really his fault either. I'm taking it all out on Marlin. Its open season on poor quality and I demand satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Sorry to hear that troutfly. This plant move hasen't been good for marlin. Look around in the rant forum some people have gotten some satisfaction writing a letter to a big cheese for cerebrus I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to cover it up but she knows me too well. She really is the best. Thanks for the rant board tip - headed there now.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Tell her she made a good choice, because she did; unfortunately she just got a bad egg. Send the gun back for replacement; it's under warranty and will be fixed. Maybe I got luck, but yours truly; and most other 338MX owners here got a great rifle. My 338MX is my favorite rifle and I'd sell all my other Marlin rifles before I'd sell my 338MX. There's plenty of time between now and hunting season; so send it back and have Marlin make it right.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
You wanted to know if anyone sent their rifle back and got it fixed. I did. I had hard extraction problems, rough chamber, shot about 1 1/2 boxes of rounds and it kept getting worse. Remington replaced the barrel, test fired it and sent it back to me. No charge for anything. This was last year before hunting season. All problems fixed. 2 rounds touching with the 3rd less than an inch away at 100 yards. Easily minute of deer out to 300 yards which is the limit of my rifle range.

I know you are frustrated but let your wife know that this is really a good rifle in a fine caliber, it's just that some problems slipped thru quality control. Give Remington a chance to fix them. I think you and your wife will ultimately be happy with the purchase, Lonnie.

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Maybe you should trade it for some fly rods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My real passion is Whitetail hunting the laurel clogged hardwoods of the Virginia Blue Ridge mountains with the occasional hay or cut corn field thrown in just to keep me practicing for that long range shot. Fly fishing for mountain trout is something to keep me occupied during the off season. I hand load all my own ammo, tie my own flies, fletch my own arrows, and with minimal help manage to show up for work on time everyday. When I put an animal with fur, hair, feather, or fin in the freezer I get a deep feeling of satisfaction knowing I have done my homework and put in the effort to be a good outdoor sportsman. I own a couple Orvis and Phillipsons hand made fly rods so I don't need to trade. These are already great quality which is what I expect from Marlin. I do like my other Marlins and want to add this one to my collection of heirlooms to pass on. I believe they will make it right. I called them today and they are sending the shipping label. Estimated 4-6 weeks unless they have to replace the receiver. I expect they will so I'm planning on early summer. Still plenty of time to play with before hunting season.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Don't mind Hal, He gets that way sometimes ;D A lot of Us bought defective 338's and had to send them back for repairs and were told 6 to 8 weeks turn around. that was 4 or 5 months ago and we are still waiting! We all feel Your pain, Welcome to Marlin Owners! a place where You can vent and find good information on Gunsmithing and other great topics!. Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
stykbow57 said:
Don't mind Hal, He gets that way sometimes ;D
Hey, it was just a suggestion! ;D

·
Registered
846 Posts
My Wife bought My 338 for Cristmas and sought Me he was bumed we I had to send it back but I reasured Her that it wasn't Her fault! She bought just what I wanted and Love Her for it! Now I just have to wait! Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts