Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up (from under the shelf) at the lgs today out of curiosity (as I don’t have a 338). Appears to be date coded to 2009. Guy at the counter didn’t even know they had it.
250 grain bullet which is way heavier than the Hornady loads I can find. Haven’t decided whether to pass it on to someone else or add it to my collection. Thought I’d share and see if anyone had any input.
Wood Alcoholic beverage Drink Font Nail
Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

edit: now that my internet loaded the rest of this forum I see someone had the same experience a couple months ago. Sorry for the duplicate thread! I’ll probably just add them to my rare ammo collection.

· Registered
62 Posts
Absolute hard to find ammo. The .338 Marlin Express ammo is no longer manufactured, not by Remington or The 200grain FTX by Hornady…
I, for one, would love to get my hands on the extra rounds but it tends to be too rich for my budget when a box surfaces!!!

· Super Moderator
7,565 Posts
I bought a box of that ammo at my LGS about a year ago. I haven't shot it yet, but I will shoot them through my chronograph to see what their velocity is with my 338MX. I'm curious to see how well they group at 100 yards. I have a few boxes of factory Hornady 200gr FTX ammo to shoot up before I bother reloading them.

Reactions: jeepster360mag

· Registered
156 Posts
Absolute hard to find ammo. The .338 Marlin Express ammo is no longer manufactured, not by Remington or The 200grain FTX by Hornady…
I, for one, would love to get my hands on the extra rounds but it tends to be too rich for my budget when a box surfaces!!!
What price is the ammo going for now? My local pawn shop has 4 boxes.

· Registered
62 Posts
What price is the ammo going for now? My local pawn shop has 4 boxes.
last I saw on line at one of the ammo search sites was over $5 and change per/round…. I’m contemplating getting into reloading. When I bought the rifle, the hype was running very high and I never expected Marlin to turn to crap and stop production. Then ammo and reloading components dry up. At that price, I could just about feed a .338 Lapua and there’d be plenty of places to buy….anyway, enough lamenting that, maybe Ruger will start producing the rifle again. 🙂

· Registered
Loved to experiment and shoot a variety of guns.
6,282 Posts
For some reason, lever action cartridges other than the established 30-30 or 45-70 don't seem to make it. Then certain calibers don't seem to take off. The 338's are popular in very heavy cartridges like the 338 mag or the Lapua but in the more moderate cartridges they don't seem to make it. The 338-06 is considered superior to the 35 Whelen down range.
Winchester had the old 33 in the 86 model that did not survive. The 33's use the same bullet weights as the 35's and a 338 on a 308 case would be superior to the 358 Winchester. The 338 Marlin was close but sales did not support the improvements. Personally, where someone wants a higher performance cartridge, they might want a BLR or Henry Long Ranger in a common cartridge?

DEP

· Registered
3,490 Posts
Picked this up (from under the shelf) at the lgs today out of curiosity (as I don’t have a 338). Appears to be date coded to 2009. Guy at the counter didn’t even know they had it.
250 grain bullet which is way heavier than the Hornady loads I can find. Haven’t decided whether to pass it on to someone else or add it to my collection. Thought I’d share and see if anyone had any input. View attachment 913066 View attachment 913067

edit: now that my internet loaded the rest of this forum I see someone had the same experience a couple months ago. Sorry for the duplicate thread! I’ll probably just add them to my rare ammo collection.
sent you a PM

· Registered
11,738 Posts
There is some brass for sale over on castboolits, if someone is lookin.
If interested, check out the swappin & selling sec.

RP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts