Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
12,267 Posts
My opinion is that any of the 4350's (IMR, H, or AA) are too slow for the 338. I think you need a powder in the mid burning range like AA2520, one of the 4064's, Varget, H4895, or even 3031 on the faster side.

I'm sure 4350 would work and make the gun go bang, but the 338 ME is such a stubby cartridge I don't think that 4350 would give you very good velocity. Again, that is just my opinion and I certainly haven't tried any.

· Premium Member
12,267 Posts
AK_Taxidermist said:
Many thanks for the myriad suggestions... it gives me things to ponder. I have some of the 15. I think I'll use that as my starting point until some 2520 or the Leverevolution can be had. After I first blow the purchased ammo and brass is available to do so. ;D
You may find you really like the factory LE ammo. The stuff shoots really well in my gun, and that is what I'm working to duplicate. Right now a load of 45.7 gr of AA2520 seems like the one. It's under the max load of 46.5, but seems to shoot identically to the factory stuff. More testing is planned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.