Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that published data has 2 different case trim lengths? 1.88"(Hornady and Lee) and 1.91"(Hodgdon). My rifle will cycle both. What do y'all think? I'm going to shot some of both tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that published data has 2 different case trim lengths? 1.88"(Hornady and Lee) and 1.91"(Hodgdon). My rifle will cycle both. What do y'all think? I'm going to shot some of both tomorrow.
What name manual published 1.91"?The Hornady #8 manual 338 Marlin express section has max case length:....1.890" case trim length:...1.880" If Hornady don't know :hmmmm:their own ammo than who does?:flute:
T:dontknow: NY

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What name manual published 1.91"?The Hornady #8 manual 338 Marlin express section has max case length:....1.890" case trim length:...1.880" If Hornady don't know :hmmmm:their own ammo than who does?:flute:
T:dontknow: NY
1.91" on the Hodgdon reloading web site. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Both lengths functioned well in my MXLR. Same load, same POI. I haven't measured my brass since I have shot today, but I have noticed that after shooting factory brass it tends to be around 1.895 and 1.90 after resizing. It will be interesting to see.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
1.91" on the Hodgdon reloading web site. Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

Both lengths functioned well in my MXLR. Same load, same POI. I haven't measured my brass since I have shot today, but I have noticed that after shooting factory brass it tends to be around 1.895 and 1.90 after resizing. It will be interesting to see.
So Hodgdog does have a trim length of 1.910" and HDY. has max. length at 1.890" It seem to be a 0.020" different :hmmmm: And you are measuring 1.90" after full sizing:hmmmm:.. Thanx for bring this to my attention. I believe I did my 338 M. exp. off the Hodgdon website.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Curiosity made me open a new box 338 M.exp brass and one measure 1.880" other was 1.85" and 1.879 and 1.883" and 1.886"

I also measured some already full sized and trimmed cases 1.880" must be using the HDY's trim length.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ya, I had to trim some sized cases due to them being longer than 1.890". I remembered seeing 1.91" trim length on the Hodgdon site so I measured a few and they were around 1.90" so I set the calipers at 1.91" and the ones that slipped through I loaded. Like I said I didn't have any problems shooting them. I'll be interested to see what length they are after resizing when I start to reload the cases that were originally 1.91".

Kind of like the COL 2.585" and 2.590". I'm pushing the 2.590". I sometimes wonder if the gummy tips are the same length.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
This will make me email Hodgdon and Hornady and explain about the .020" difference and who they came to their publish trim length for the 338 M. exp.

I haven't loaded Hornady's 338 M. exp. NIB brass yet but when I size them I will see if any of them will size out to 1.910"

·
Registered
723 Posts
I use 1.910 as my absolute max, and trim back to 1.880. I have noticed I have had some of my brass stretch to 1.93 and 1.94 after a couple of reloads with high end loads. I trim every piece of brass back to 1.880 that reaches 1.190. If you look at various reloading manuals for other common rounds such as the 30-06 and .243, you will find trim to lengths vary quite a bit between manuals. The one thing that is usually the same in all of the manuals is the absolute Max length. I just try to keep all of my loads at the same length in a given lot. I believe that we are good with lengths of 1.190 or less.

Gary

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Are there different factory loadings in terms of bullets? I read in the 450 section that the factory brass loaded with the gummy tips was shorter than the solid flat nose 350 grainers in order to get the correct OAL. In other words the gummy tips of the same weight are longer (due to the plastic tip) than solid bullets so the brass would need to be shortened accordingly for the extra length of the bullet.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Are there different factory loadings in terms of bullets? I read in the 450 section that the factory brass loaded with the gummy tips was shorter than the solid flat nose 350 grainers in order to get the correct OAL. In other words the gummy tips of the same weight are longer (due to the plastic tip) than solid bullets so the brass would need to be shortened accordingly for the extra length of the bullet.
The shorter case length is to accommodate the longer Ogive of the FTX bullet which also makes the projectile itself longer too.
But on cartridges and rifles like the 308 M. exp. and the 338 M. exp. were design for each other so no need to shorten the cases to use the FTX. "gummy bullet".. With the 30 30 (.308") 160 gr. FTX bullet {#3095} was design for the 30 30 cartridge to work with its case. The 308 M. exp. (.308") 160 gr. FTX. {#3096} projectile to work in the 308 exp. The 35 Rem. .358" 200 gr. FTX. is design for its case and the Win. 32 spl. too. But for all other lever rifle caliber like 444, 45-70, M450, 357 mag. 44 mag. cases must be trimmed to the suggested length.
That's about my understanding but maybe someone else knows more.

If I had to guess I would say Hodgdon mistakenly print the MAX. 1.910" case length as trim length and not the 1.880" as the trim length.
But as I said my guess.

Reactions: toad67

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
I have Hornady's NIB M. 338 exp. Brass and none of them measures more than 1.887" tomorrow I'll size 10 and take the highest measurement Then post it.
Now if some as the Remington made 338 express ammo and can measure a 1 X fired case or 2 it would be nice it they would post it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emailed Hodgdon for answers, this was the response. Sounds good to me and thanks to those that work at Hodgdon for a fast response. Thanks!

The 1.910” trim length is the SAAMI specification and as a member of SAAMI we develop all of our data to their specs.

Dave Campbell
Customer Service Representative
Hodgdon Powder Company
6430 Vista Drive
Shawnee, KS 66218
913-362-9455 Ext. 117
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Well then I guess the question must be put to Hornady why they recommend to trim length of 1.880" and max. length in their view is 1.890"?
Is it a miss print if not, than what's the answer.
Could it be Hornady used a Marlin 338 express rifle for testing and Hodgdon use a testing barrel?
PS thanx I printed off the link http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/338 Marlin Express.pdf

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Well email sent to Hornady.
T:biggrin: NY

·
Registered
723 Posts
It is not uncommon for the trim to length in some manuals to be .020" shorter than the max length. The bottom line is that there is no problem with the shorter length. If you are a bench rest accuracy obsessed type, then trim every round to the exact same length, the length is not as important as uniformity of length as long as you are under the max. If you look at they Hornady 45-70 FTX loads, they are much shorter than any other brand, but they reload and shoot just fine. The bottom line: stay under 1.910" and you are OK
Gary

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Anthony
Jul 17 (1 day ago)

to tech

Why in the Hornady manual #8 the 338 express info. has a max case length of 1.890" and trim length of 1.880"

The S.A.A.M.I. has the case length at 1.890" to 1.910"

Hodgdon info. has a trim length of 1.910"
Their answer is because they go by S.A.A.I. standard

Can you please tell why in Hornady manual #8 info. has a Trim case length of 1. 880" and a max. length of 1.890". Thank in advance Tony.

PS. Sorry if I asked the question wrong the first time and I hope I asked it correct this time.

Okay My answer.
tech
4:21 PM (3 hours ago)

to me

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/338 Marlin Express.pdf

Anthony,

Listed above is the SAAMI print. It lists the case length of 1.890” -.020.
This would make the max length at 1.890” and trim at 1.870”.

Thank you

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:41 PM
To: tech
Subject: Re: "Technical Inquiries" Contact from Anthony

So what do you make of this?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh! so now we are all confused. Now somebody that knows how to read a schematic of the S.A.A.M.I. is needed.

I know the 1.91" works fine in my .338 MX. I haven't had time to size the 1.91" cases I shot last week. I will let y'all know what I find when I do.

Been busy taking the heads off my hunting truck, trying to get it right before the last minute. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts