1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
It is basically a 336W shortened down......they have birch stocks on the newly made 336Y's......that one you linked to definitely has a shorter barrel and forearm on it......

Someone listed a place that is advertising them in both walnut and birch, but the catalogue only lists it in birch......still isn't on their website.....even after they updated it.

I like my 2003 model with the walnut stocks!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
six_gunz said:
It is basically a 336W shortened down......they have birch stocks on the newly made 336Y's......that one you linked to definitely has a shorter barrel and forearm on it......

Someone listed a place that is advertising them in both walnut and birch, but the catalogue only lists it in birch......still isn't on their website.....even after they updated it.

I like my 2003 model with the walnut stocks!
I didn't realize they changed them over to birch. Figures. ::) I don't mind birch but the price should reflect the difference for sure, I wonder if it does?

·
Super Moderator
15,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what made me question the model, as you can see either the forearm is longer or the barrel is noticeably shorter. Either way......This is going to be my model for the project rifle I have in mind, sure I could buy the Y if I could find it, but then where's the satisfaction in that? ;D Mr fixit
From Marlins 2011 catalog:

Still hunting for my donor rifle, I'll find it sooner or later! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Price seems way too high for birch stocks..... $460 + shipping.

I think $350 + shipping would sound a whole lot better for the hardwood stocks...... Just my .02

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Your right......definitely the wrong forearm in that pic.....I never noticed it until now! They probably just got cheap and posted that W model on the catalogue......

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
I can see why that would confuse you as they are definitely different looking forearms. I do know the Y has a shorter one though so I'm with six_gunz that they probably just slapped something together for the catalog.

six_gunz said:
Price seems way too high for birch stocks..... $460 + shipping.

I think $350 + shipping would sound a whole lot better for the hardwood stocks...... Just my .02
Agreed. W's go about $370 here and if they are going to put birch on the Y I see nothing that justifies the extra expense.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought a 336Y back in 2003 when they first came out. I believe they were a catalog item for only a year. It is my favorite Marlin, and has put a number of hogs and deer into the freezer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
isnt the "y" the youth model ? i was thinking of buying a stock so my son can shoot my 30-30 then when he grows to adult size put tthe origional back on .any opinions?

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
plumbercrackus said:
isnt the "y" the youth model ? i was thinking of buying a stock so my son can shoot my 30-30 then when he grows to adult size put tthe origional back on .any opinions?
It is. 336Y butt stocks don't come cheap though. The originals were walnut and as said it didn't stick around long so demand for "replacements" is pretty low.

If it were me, and function was the primary concern, I'd buy a standard butt stock and cut it down (or have it cut down). Don't know how old your son is but if you cut it to say 12-12.5" he would have room to grow into it and truth be told, a lot of folks like a short LOP. You could get a birch stock fairly cheap or go with walnut and that would leave room for simply adding a nice aftermarket recoil pad later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you look closely in the book you can find a couple of other photo shopped pics. I thought I was the only one that noticed. If you look at the light grain marks in the Y and the W pics you can see they are the same, and the hammer spur and gold trigger on the Y model. Also look at the model 60 page, look at the stock and trigger guard on the 60SB it looks very similar to another one on that page.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts