Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at a new Marlin Model 336W today, and noticed that the left side of the receiver was not drilled and tapped for the Williams or Lyman receiver peep sight. Is the rest of the 336 family the same? In particular, is the 336Y Spikehorn drilled and tapped? I thought Marlin had been doing this for many years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Williams makes the WGRS sights that screws in the top of the receiver.Useing the holes for the scope mount.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For some reason, Marlin quit drilling and tapping for reciever sights several years ago. Very poor decision IMHO, but what do I know, I only buy and use their guns, but I haven't bought a new one for some time,partly for that reason, I've got reciever sights on almost every one I own.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read in a recent post about the WGRS sight system. It sounds like a good deal, although, it was mentioned that the front sight needed to be raised quite a bit, also. My Brownells catalog lists the WGRS sight, but nothing about having to modify the front sight.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I considered both Williams peeps when I bought mine. I went with the side mount as all my current guns are D&T'd for them. If I ever end up with one that isn't D&T'd on the side I'd get the top mount no sweat.

My first experience with a peep on a levergun was on a AE win. 94. It was a top mount also on that set up I was able to use the factory front sight quite well. I would expect to do so with the Marlin. Keep in mind that the new style 336 mount is IIRC different from the WGRS that will fit in the same place.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
If it were my spikehorn, I would get it drilled and tapped on the side. It is not that expensive to have done. You can use the top mount but is FUGLY!! :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts