Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since its late and I am on a phone, this is abbreviated. Here goes!
New 336y and after one or two initial SNAFUs the gun is in a work: cherry. Half a box of Core-looks and a half box of Win ST, both 170gr and the shorty ate em all and spit em at the target sweetly. Old eyes, fading light and factory irons made for a 100yd 4-5 MOA....I'm sure with better light, more time, and maybe some of Parsons peeps, this little "Pine Goat" killer can poke a good 3 MOA consistently. The short barrel is an absolute surprise to handle. Marlin trimmed the once bulky stock to a now manageable grip, and the laminate is astetically pleasing. They could trim a bit more but this one works I guess. The low luster reciever will not be as attractive to the 336 purist but it is functional to the hearty hunter. The action is stiff from the factory and will fool a novice or seasoned lever owner if they expect it to race like their old 68' C model, cause it won't; at least not at first. Work the lever until you think your fingers will fall off and then run 40-50 rounds through it.....it will loosen up. Am I happy with my little "Pine Goat" carbine that my wife bought me? For $399.....Well, lets just say that I think Marlin may be turning the boat. Gun Firearm Trigger Gun barrel Air gun

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just today saw the same 336 30-30 at Wal-Mart. The fit to finish was very good. I wanted to find a problem........ But I too, think Marlin has started on the right path now.
Been looking for a 30-30 and might just buy it tomorrow. The price was good and have two more spots in my gun safe. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm payin about $17-$18 for Win PP here in Georgia. Academy had it for $15.99 the other day and Fed blue box for $14.97.....I'm getting PMC Bronze 223 for $8.49 box 20

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm glad you like yours. I too liked the ergonomics of the one I handled. However the finish just irritated me. It is plain to understand that the coats of ploy, over the wood are minimal in total coats. No thicker than it is, maybe only one coat total.. The fact, it wasn't sanded smooth after drying kinda reinforces that assumption. No good to sand it if it only has one coat as you'll just sand it off. I didn't like the action. I understand an action that is stiff due to newness. When it catches and feels and sounds like your rubbing course metal on course metal, it isn't a sign of newness, only bad quality control.

I assume since your happy yours isn't this way, since the new 1895's I've handled were stiff but, not nearly as bad as the 336Y. And I assume you dig the fittings of wood versus metal. As all I handled were acceptable. However, that finish needs work for my tastes.

But, if your happy, that is all that matters here. And it is easy on the eyes, handling, and bank account too. Good luck hunting with it and God Bless

·
Registered
569 Posts
Glad to hear your happy with it. I'm truly hoping Remington gets it together enough to keep Marlins U.S. made, regardless of how they handled things. I'd hate to see yet another U.S. company ship everything over to china.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Glad ya got a good one! :congrats:

Reactions: McBuck

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad you like yours. I too liked the ergonomics of the one I handled. However the finish just irritated me. It is plain to understand that the coats of ploy, over the wood are minimal in total coats. No thicker than it is, maybe only one coat total.. The fact, it wasn't sanded smooth after drying kinda reinforces that assumption. No good to sand it if it only has one coat as you'll just sand it off. I didn't like the action. I understand an action that is stiff due to newness. When it catches and feels and sounds like your rubbing course metal on course metal, it isn't a sign of newness, only bad quality control.

I assume since your happy yours isn't this way, since the new 1895's I've handled were stiff but, not nearly as bad as the 336Y. And I assume you dig the fittings of wood versus metal. As all I handled were acceptable. However, that finish needs work for my tastes.

But, if your happy, that is all that matters here. And it is easy on the eyes, handling, and bank account too. Good luck hunting with it and God Bless
TO BE HONEST.......as soon as I got the gun home...well, on the way home with it, I worked the spit out of the action on the drive, and when I got home I worked it for about 30 minutes or so. because as you said, ity was beyond stiff...I was actually having second thoughts.... I then broke the gun down and cleaned EVERYTHING to the point of OCD.....after that I used a very, very soft/smooth finishing stone ever so gently...very gently...to smooth out some edges that I thought were a bit on the rought side...I am not a gunsmith, and probably any experience smith would SCREAM at me for what I did, but I worked every area that was a metal on metal contact.....carrier assembly and lever mostly...some on the bolt block, but NOT the bolt....after I smoothed all of the metal to metal contact points, I got out some 000 steel wool and worked the same areas and paid close attention to the bolt....the bolt on these buns has a black finish from the factory, but after I finished with the steel wool, my bolt was almost grey, buty it was a slick as a pool cue...after that I just slapped the Outers gun oil to it....I did break the loading gate screw when reassembling the gun and after that I could not really test it too well...but after replacing the screw I was off to the range. after about a half box of Winchesters down it's throat, it seemed like the gun started to really settle in.
make not mistake about it...the gun is not as slick as my 68' 336c; the difference is 45 years of use...but I do think the little "Y" will get that wasy in a relatively shor time.
As far as wood goes, well, it's wood...the fit on the one I bought is what should be expected of a new gun. There are no issues with the fit and finish at all. It is designed to be a low luster wood finish. One might even think that Marlin intended this model to be a true "truck gun" and not an youth model. It is a no frills finish; that is why this is one of the few practical use firearms on the market for under $400.00 ( at most retailers) the nice thing about wood is this....iof you do not like it, you can refinish it, or replace it with the Ramline synthetic for a fraction. Bottoime line on this gun....I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone wanting a cost effective carbine for light deer hunting at short to moderate range...hunting in the Appalachians, brushy areas in north Florida, south Alabama, etc...this is a great truck gun that can be scout scoped with ease..the short light weight makes it an easy in/out of the truck or ATV. If you're thinking about it, go ahead and buy one, clean, clean, and then shoot the dickens out of it...in the long run I don't hink you would be disappointed.

Reactions: Marlin 30-30

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree with everything you say. I am glad you like it. I like it. However, dull finishes can be slick too, not rough. Poly dries rough if thinned. The ones I've handled needed sanding to smooth out the roughness. The ones I handled had no sanding after drying, and most definitely between the coats. If they even had more than one coat. Super fine steel wool does it up right. Just me being picky. Your gun is beautiful bud. So I'm sure it was just the ones I handled.

I really do like them and will likely buy the first one that I come across that hits me with a nice grain in the wood. All the things I pointed out was faults of mine, not your gun. I am sure it is a gooder one. If they'd make one in 35 remington, I'd be racing you to it. :^) God Bless

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will prolly go over my wood with some steel wool as you suggested and then handbuff with some good wood oils or furniture polishes....I did that to my 68' and it looks like a fine sheen low luster...but steel wool was the trick, just like you said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.