Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is important to spend time with our children.And to pass on to them what our fathers pass on to us.And I can not think of a better way to spend time with them than to carry them hunting and fishing..And I think we should teach them how to enjoy and respect the great outdoors.My oldest son will turn 12 this sping and I want to get him a new marlin for his birthday.I was thinking about the 336Y or the 1894C.
I let him hunt with me some last year with my 1894 44 mag. but it is a little heavy for him and out of balance for him to shoot.
So my question is if you were going to buy your son one of these.which one would it be and why?
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Unless he is a large boy the spikehorn will fit better, unless you plan to cut down the stock. 30-30 won't cause flinch and resulting bad habbits. It is enough gun to use for deer and black bear. Relatively light and easy to carry.
If he has longer arms, or you do intend to cut down the stock then the 1894C with the ability to shoot 38's will allow a lot of practice without as much exspense. Again good for deer and black bear with good 357 Magnum loads.
Are you teaching him to reload as well? If you do a hand reloader for 30-30 is easy to use and if you have a particular powder you use you can have the dipper for a good load so as to simplify the reloading. Just think he can learn to load and reduce the cost of shooting at the same time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure-Shot
Yes I reload And I plan on teaching both of my boys to reload.But I want to teach them to be patience and not try to rush things.I want to teach him the patience of hunting and shooting before I start them on reloading.Like thinking about what is or maybe beyond your target.And like taking his time when shooting.I keep telling him you can shoot all day and not hit anything.Or you can take your time and make the first shot count.
And no I was not planning to cut the stock down. he is not a small boy, at a rested position he shoots my 45/70 and loves it.I think a shorter barrel that was more balanced and lighter in weight would be ok.then if I had to I would cut the stock down..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sure-Shot is right. It really depends on his length of pull. I have both a 336A and an 1894C and CP. I personally would go with the 1894C. The recoil is less and it is very versital. I take Squirrels to Deer with mine and if you reload you can load the .357's as cheap as the cost of .22's which translates into lots of practice. My daughter can hit baseball sized groups at 75yds with open sights and the recoil doesn't bother her. She is 11 yrs old but is tall for her age (5' 7" :shock: ), so standard length pull is fine for her. She isn't sure she wants to deer hunt yet but she loves to shoot targets and plink. If I were you I would go down to the local gun store and let him handle both and see which he likes best and go from there. You can load the 30/30 down for plinking as well but it's a bit louder is all. Let us know how it turns out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts