Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nice looking rifle and as long as it functions properly that's all that matters. I will say though that the receiver sight is installed backwards, all the pictures I see have the tall portion facing to the rear.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’ve been wanting a Marlin ever since I saw one in a movie. Found this 336y in gunsmiths shop by chance. SN starts with 16 so... 1984 right? I tried bargaining with the man but he wouldn’t budge on the price... curious as what would you guys pay for this.
View attachment 862076
I’ve been wanting a Marlin ever since I saw one in a movie. Found this 336y in gunsmiths shop by chance. SN starts with 16 so... 1984 right? I tried bargaining with the man but he wouldn’t budge on the price... curious as what would you guys pay for this.
View attachment 862076
I like it, very sharp flat black & wood. I have a remlin 336 & it shoots & functions better than any 336 I ever shot.
I been hunting with 30-30's since the 60's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like it, very sharp flat black & wood. I have a remlin 336 & it shoots & functions better than any 336 I ever shot.
I been hunting with 30-30's since the 60's.
Awesome that you got one, these are the handiest things since shirt pockets! If it cycles well you're all to the good. Enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very nice and a good price. My LGS has a 1971 336 is great condition for $650, may have to go back and bring it home.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I’ve been wanting a Marlin ever since I saw one in a movie.
I'm a huge fan of both guns and movies. Especially guns used in movies. So I'm curious, which film inspired you to get a Marlin?

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!! Nice!!

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Kinda funny that hardly anyone paid attention to the 336Y when they were still produced and available. Many thought they were only good for youngsters I guess. I always recommended snagging one if only for the shorter barrel. Now that supply has dried up everyone wants one. Remington replaced it with the compact model which would be very hard to find as they weren't made long.
I lucked our and found a JM Spikehorn. It's possible that Ruger might eventually bring the short barrel back.

·
Registered
698 Posts
View attachment 862076
Has flat bluing and laminate stock. Looks like the type of Marlin that was carried and sold at Walmart before Remington went out of business. They were priced between 3 and 4 hundred dollars, maybe a tad more, from what I can recall. But that rifle is not an "original" manufactured by Marlin. It is a Marlin manufactured by Remington. You can make out what looks like a S/N on the side of the receiver. Originals did not have the S/N at that location. Depending on how bad I wanted one would dictate what price I would be willing to pay. So really, it just depends on how bad you want it. Remember, they aren't being made anymore. It does look like a nice rifle.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts