Marlin Firearms Forum banner

336Y - Hornady LE

850 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MissLyds98 
#1 ·
Hi,
I bought a new 336Y with the 16.5 inch barrel a couple of years ago with the intention of shooting the Hornady LE cartridges from it. I couldn't get better than 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards. I switched to 170 grain Remington Core Lokts and the bullet holes touch each other at 50 yards. I was just curious if anyone had experienced this and if it had to do with the shorter barrel or if my rifle is unique and just happens to prefer the core lokts?
Thanks

#3 ·
Maybe. I have several carbines with 20' barrels. Some shoot the LEs well or at least on a par with standard loads, but some hate the stuff, too. On the other hand, my scoped 24" 336A will shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with the LEs. I suspect, but cannot prove, the longer barrel helps with those LE bullets. Neither here nor there, because the only thing that counts is what your individual gun likes. For darn sure, I'd stick with those Core-Lokts in yours. That's great performance with that short barrel.

#4 ·
It's the worst target pattern in my new 336y also....best is 150 grain rem, ppu or herter

Hi,
I bought a new 336Y with the 16.5 inch barrel a couple of years ago with the intention of shooting the Hornady LE cartridges from it. I couldn't get better than 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards. I switched to 170 grain Remington Core Lokts and the bullet holes touch each other at 50 yards. I was just curious if anyone had experienced this and if it had to do with the shorter barrel or if my rifle is unique and just happens to prefer the core lokts?
Thanks

#5 ·
My (soon to be MissLyds98) 336w with 20 inch barrel shoots amazing with the 150 grain remington core Lokts. Shot much better than any other and I was able to get more consistent groups to properly sight in my rifle.

I'd say keep shooting them. I hear a lot of the same things on the forum - Marlins like the core Lokts.

#6 ·
Can I add my new 336 to my signature yet? ;)

Cannot wait to go shooting!

Reactions: Ocduff
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.