Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the 336Y for the 16.25" barrel and the shorter stock (tried it out in a store and the short LOP was fine for me, even at 6'2".) One thing that I've read about was 336Y owners who switched to the Cadet synthetic stock had to cut down the forearm to fit the 336Y. Looking at Ram-Line's site, it is listed as "for banded models" (which the 336C and 336Y are), but "not for 336Y." This all suggests that the forearm on the 336Y is shorter than the traditional banded forearm. However, when I first searched for 336Y, a few pictures came up that (when scaled appropriately) had the same forearm length as the 336C:

MAR336Y_1.jpg
The rest of the pictures showed shorter forearms:

336y.jpg

I believe that the 336Y was released, discontinued, and then re-released. So, my first question is: did the original have the longer forearm?

Regardless of that, though, I like the look and functionality of a longer forearm on a 16.25" barrel. So, my more important question would be: if I were to purchase a 336C forearm off of Ebay, would any modification to the 336Y be needed to mount it with the front band closer to the end of the barrel? I'm just not familiar enough with the way the band mount works to know if it actually has screw holes or the like that would need to be reproduced at the new band location (not to mention any holes that would be left at the original spot.)

If modification is needed, then I may have to go with the 336C cut to 16.25" method, but then I'd have to find a 336Y stock. The wider grip on the 336Y felt good in my large hand, so I don't believe that I'd like the Cadet's narrower grip.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The potential problem is with the hole in the forearm lining up with the groove in the underside of the barrel for the retaining screw to pass thru. A new groove can always be cut. My recommendation is to go with the forearm look you like and deal with the groove problem. That modification will be hidden from view.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The potential problem is with the hole in the forearm lining up with the groove in the underside of the barrel for the retaining screw to pass thru. A new groove can always be cut. My recommendation is to go with the forearm look you like and deal with the groove problem. That modification will be hidden from view.
Thanks! So, not nothing (excuse the double-negative), but not as hard as needing to drill/tap new screw holes. Good point about the old groove being inside of the long grip.

it is not hard to file the grooves needed for that long fore arm .
I know that the barrel walls are pretty thick, but I still worry about doing anything to them. You think that it's an easy and relatively risk-free (in terms of affecting barrel integrity) modification? Just a half-round file? I also worry a little about getting it to pass straight through and not angle up or down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts