Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked with a gentleman that runs the Cast Bullet Association Matches at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club earlier today.
Seems they are going to have a light production class , with only 6x scopes. I might have to try some cast loads in the XLR and shoot it in the match. If it doesn't do well I can always drop back to my 336CB in 30-30.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
you get a bullet and powder to match up can't see as you would have problem..

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
The twist and the riflineg are the same. One reason I haven't gotten a XLR in 30-30 yet. The CB shoots them better than anything I've ever seen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On Marlin's site, specs for the 336 - 30-30 says twist is 1:10 and for the 336 XLR it's 1:12. I have a new XLR and have been fooling around with cast but so far it won't hold a candle to Dr. A's 30-30 CB. Not even close!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Frank, I was referring to my 336CB, which does have the 1 to 12 twist. Its special. 8) Maybe its time to firelap. I'm really impressed with that little 32mag and 120gr. cast bullets. Its not a fast load, but I did get 3 bullets on top of each other last PM. Maybe the octagonal barrel is what helps. Ya know Big Med's 38-55 is in that same league! Isn't your CB? Any of your guns firelapped? Now to just center the darned sights!

Got a 1955 32 special last year with a long barrel. Thought it was in the same league, but it is slightly, (ever so slightly) inferior. Got to think the octagonal business must be to blame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr. A,

I wasn't aware that the CB model had the 12" twist. Deep into old age & still learnin'. And as for the open sight match, I have someting different to try this year but I ain't talking, at least not yet. To answer your fire lapping question . . none of my rifles are lapped. Still in the "thinking about it" stage. Now, lets get out & fire a few groups for RD.

Best regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts