Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have it in my mind that I want a 336 "Trapper" style rifle in .35. I've looked around and talked to a couple members here that have one and they are not for sale/trade. My options include cutting my 336xlr to 16.5", or I have another blued 336 that I could cut the barrel and mag tube. The work would be done by my gunsmith, not me. I also want a big loop on the finished gun. Am I crazy or what? If I cut my xlr, will Marlin Owners ban me for life and sentence me to the Winchester forum? lol.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
If that rifle is everything you want in a .35 except the barrel length....then chop it, I would. But then, my opinion may be a little biased :biggrin:.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Those 336XLR builds above are super, really nice well done jobs, and look totally effective.

However, between the two, the 336 would be the choice over the 336XLR. The parts need for the conversion, to include a new forearm, should be less than $100. You'll need of course to cut a dovetail for the mag tube tennon, which if a smith does it adds to the cost. I'm not seeing to many 336XLRs in 35 around, that is what is guiding my decision here. But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions. I'm leaning towards the xlr to chop. T-Roy, you got an extra SS big loop for a pistol grip? The 336 would take more work (and cost) due to the dovetailing and tube. Hmmmmmm.........

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
I like my 336As just as they are--they are bolt gun accurate and can put bullets between branches--literally.

DSCN0287.jpg

Reactions: JACKTW and Don845

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
Hey--T-Roy! Nice job! Now I'll be lucky to hit a bucket at 60 yards--let alone putting a 32 WSP between branches! Are you SURE you are not really an Army Engineer--we are good at breaking stuff you know! :biggrin:

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Troy, you know he's going to be running to the gunsafe to make sure his babies are safe and sound! ;)

SD there are a few big loops on GB and I think that one of them is in stainless, buy they are GB pricey too!

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
Trouble is--I am half a planet away from the gun safe right now. And you can bet a former Marine and a 'Zarker probably found a way to Virginny to put one over on me! :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
I can out shoot the AR crowd now with what I got. I had a police SWAT firearms instructor looking at my 100 yard target in wonderment last summer. First--he had never heard of a 32 WSP. Second--he couldn't believe my 65 year old rifle shot tighter groups than his AR knock off. Third--he couldn't believe I was doing it with a 1950s Weaver scope. Score one for us lever gun enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Well you could just let me watch them for you. I'll keep them safe from the barrel chopper! ;)

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks CCB

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
The other thing you could do is find a SC model and cut it down. MO member Leverdoug has done that and enlarged his lever as well. Its a great little trapper rifle that he put together basically by himself.

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
I bought a glenfield SC clone which I will be cutting down as a youth rifle for my son. I got the inspiration for it from The Chopper (Troy). ;)
He has taken an intense interest in my 336D so I might even go all the way and make a 336D clone for him in 30-30.

·
Super Moderator
24,957 Posts
Not that I need ANOTHER 30-30--but there is a really nice 1960s Glenny short mag Model 30 on GB. They are getting hard to find these days. If I didn't already have a '52 SC 30-30 model with Ballard rifling--I would be all over that one.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
I'll show you the end results on one .35 RC I cut to 16.25 first with the pistol grip then with the same gun converted to straight grip. Both with full mag tubes. Just another option.

These are the same gun, just a little difference on the photo size.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I cut my .35 XLR to an 18.5 inch barrel..........now, it's perfect. It shoots LE factory ammo to a little over three-quarters of an inch groups now. It wears Skinner sights with a Weaver Scout Scope Base and a Leupold 2.5x Scout Scope....what's not to like.....I'm happy

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I can out shoot the AR crowd now with what I got. I had a police SWAT firearms instructor looking at my 100 yard target in wonderment last summer. First--he had never heard of a 32 WSP. Second--he couldn't believe my 65 year old rifle shot tighter groups than his AR knock off. Third--he couldn't believe I was doing it with a 1950s Weaver scope. Score one for us lever gun enthusiasts!
Yep.......according to that crowd, the pioneers apparently couldn't kill anything to eat.

I've watched the TV show "Cops", and seen some of these "new age" cops trying to figure out how to unload a DA revolver. It's a sad state of affairs these days.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bought a glenfield SC clone which I will be cutting down as a youth rifle for my son. I got the inspiration for it from The Chopper (Troy). ;)
He has taken an intense interest in my 336D so I might even go all the way and make a 336D clone for him in 30-30.
That's my plan; Glenfield Model 30. It's already got a 1/2 magazine, so 1/2 the work is done. I like the 1/2 magazine better than the SC's 2/3 magazine. Plus generally cheaper than an SC, but lesser stocks and sights.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not that I need ANOTHER 30-30--but there is a really nice 1960s Glenny short mag Model 30 on GB. They are getting hard to find these days. If I didn't already have a '52 SC 30-30 model with Ballard rifling--I would be all over that one.
"They are getting hard to find theses days"
People are realizing they are the "plain Jane" Marlin SC.
Or I am after one.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
That's my plan; Glenfield Model 30. It's already got a 1/2 magazine, so 1/2 the work is done. I like the 1/2 magazine better than the SC's 2/3 magazine. Plus generally cheaper than an SC, but lesser stocks and sights.
Well, since I'm going to be shortening the stock for a youth model it's less of a loss for me. I'm going to get a really nice set of full sized wood that he will grow into and I can use until he gets old enough for the youth model. ;) cough cough

1 - 20 of 35 Posts