Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Would you consider modifying a 336XLR by shortening the barrel to 18" or 20"?

• Yes

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • No way!

Votes: 19 61.3%
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ramblin,
What I'd recommend is buying a 20" barrel off Ebay. Cut, polish and satin chrome it, should be able to get one for <$100.
Swapping barrels on Marlins is usually very straightforward, the broaching used to
cut the threads is very consistent, most can be plugged into different receivers with no alteration.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Would be very tempted to Dura Coat a beater 336 and refinish the stock to insure inletted areas and under the butt plate are waterproofed. Or as mentioned above satin chrome. Send the beater to a shop and have all the parts satin chromed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's your rifle. Fix it anyway you like. Life is short. Don't compromise. Don't let others influence what you like..........Fix it like you want to and enjoy it.
Many on here say don't cuz you'll lose value. Hell, value is only good if you sell. Enjoyment is worth more. I use and modify mine to suit me. NO outside opinions matter cuz I don't sell. I enjoy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's your rifle. Fix it anyway you like. Life is short. Don't compromise. Don't let others influence what you like..........Fix it like you want to and enjoy it.
Many on here say don't cuz you'll lose value. Hell, value is only good if you sell. Enjoyment is worth more. I use and modify mine to suit me. NO outside opinions matter cuz I don't sell. I enjoy.
Exactly, don’t matter if it’s a truck, boat, atv, motorcycle or a gun. Within days of having it I have to make it my own. I don’t give a crap about the value because by the time I sell anything it’s usually pretty beat up anyways and I don’t sell guns.

If whomever ends up with crap when I’m gone is upset that I ruined the value of something they want to sell then I didn’t do a very good job on my will…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you chopped it, it would take a dive in value should you ever sell it. I have a 308ME XLR and a 1951 Waffletop 35 Remington . Both are very nice to hunt with. I have no problem with barrel length.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts