Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Would you consider modifying a 336XLR by shortening the barrel to 18" or 20"?

• Yes

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • No way!

Votes: 19 61.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I was fortunate to come across a reasonably priced JM 336XLR in .30-30. Certainly it's a favorite inside 200yds when the weather is foul like yesterday morning here in SC. With a fixed power Weaver 4.75x40, it's perfect for whitetail. But, I was thinking... :cool:... wouldn't it be nice if it had an 18" or 20" barrel for portability? I know that 336LTD or 336SS guns are impossible to find and cost a small fortune.

So my question: who here would even contemplate maligning a piece of JM history by shortening the barrel of a 336XLR? Why, why not, and what barrel length?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will say, I've debated the same thing with a first year model 444. I picked up a 444P to go with it, because one came along at a reasonable price, but yeah... If it's a rifle I'd never sell anyway, then I'd modify it however I saw fit. Just look at it like this: You are increasing the rarity of everyone else's XLRs and increasing their investment value. Doing them a favor, as it were :)

·
Super Moderator
25,677 Posts
I will say, I've debated the same thing with a first year model 444. I picked up a 444P to go with it, because one came along at a reasonable price, but yeah... If it's a rifle I'd never sell anyway, then I'd modify it however I saw fit. Just look at it like this: You are increasing the rarity of everyone else's XLRs and increasing their investment value. Doing them a favor, as it were :)
You are correct on that. My two uncut XLRs (444 Marlin/35 Rem) are now selling in the 2000 buck range on GB. I don't plan on selling either one and they will go to my son.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A few years ago, I was fortunate to come across a reasonably priced JM 336XLR in .30-30. Certainly it's a favorite inside 200yds when the weather is foul like yesterday morning here in SC. With a fixed power Weaver 4.75x40, it's perfect for whitetail. But, I was thinking... :cool:... wouldn't it be nice if it had an 18" or 20" barrel for portability? I know that 336LTD or 336SS guns are impossible to find and cost a small fortune.

So my question: who here would even contemplate maligning a piece of JM history by shortening the barrel of a 336XLR? Why, why not, and what barrel length?
In a second. If you’re going to use it and making it shorter would make it better for the job than absolutely!

I’m a short barrel guy! I don’t own a non magnum with a barrel longer than 18”. I’ve recently bought 2 guns in the 1500$ range, one a like new w/box Remington 760 pump in 35rem that now sports a 16” barrel. The other a browning bar mk3 in 308 that now sports a 16.5” barrel. They’ll never be for sale and I couldn’t give less of a crap what they sell for after I’m cooked to ash.

A barrel chopping and proper crown job is only 55$ from my local smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you considered just changing your rifle carry method? What I mean is, "Don't fight the woods, you move with it."

I personally would never cut the barrel down of my 336 Cowboy 30-30 (24")...just carry it differently to maneuver through and move slower. But if you're encountering targets @ 200yards it sounds very open. Not like you're encountering heavy timber/ brush that you can't see 15 yards in front of you. If that was the case I'd look for a 336Texan or get a Trapper length Bbl 16-18" and have a gunsmith install it for you keeping the original barrel as is. Just my opinion.

Your rifle, your choice...

Old Creek

·
Registered
638 Posts

I'm not necessarily a fan of really long barrels, but in my opinion, a short barrel lever gun just looks ridiculous. The balance ends up all wrong not better.

Cut the barrel and complain about low velocity, then hand load to breach busting pressures. I can't say what I'd like to because I would be banned.

I just don't get it. Nor do I want it explained to me... At least they're making the rest of them worth more...

·
Registered
517 Posts
XLR models are about as rare and expensive as it gets right now. You would definitely be decreasing the value of yours if you modify it.
I won’t tell you what to do, but if I were pondering this for myself, I would be looking for an older 336 SC. A lot of what’s on the market have been used and abused, but still have plenty of life left to give and can be purchased for a fraction of what an XLR goes for.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good comments from all although I expected more inputs along the lines of @Waffletop. :DHonestly I had no idea XLRs were in the $2K range so this one won’t be going under the saw. Still I admire @kingstrider ‘s handiwork but I don’t have enough donor specimens for that kind of fun. As far as other SST 336’s, might as well be hen’s teeth.

One comment on cutting and crowning: I don‘t think it’s complicated or expensive. With A good cutter with bore bearing from Pacific Tool, you can hand cut crowns fairly accurately and consistently. A lathe is nice but not necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I would not Because I own lever rifle with barrel length from 16 1/4" to 24" and see no difference in handing these rifle/carbine in wooded or opened fields. I find that the XLR models are well balanced and practice with any rifle/carbine handling becomes muscle memory.

But the rifle is yours.

My brother Nicholas had a 7.7 Japanese rifle barrel cut down and it lost its accuracy.

I have two XLR one 308exp. and 35 Rem. also a 338MX and a 444s 22" barrels and handle them well.

One time I wanted a 16" barrel 336 30-30 my thoughts was buy a youth model and put an adult butt stock on it.

Reactions: bryan alder

·
Registered
492 Posts
When I purchased my 336XLR in 35 Rem the same seller had a 336LTD for the same price. I opted for the XLR thinking that I may have it trimmed to 20" some day. To me thats the perfect length. Once I had it in hand I just love the balance and the way the 24" barrel points. I actually have it set up with RRP peep sights and not a scope. Its my foul weather gun and that means I will carry it when its too nasty for a scope. I could see myself sending it off to someone like Grizzly customs some day and have it shortened. As far as value I could care less. I am never going to part with it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would not do it. Retain it in its original configuration because even if you don't sell it, someone will. Most likley an heir of yours after you are gone. Find another used rifle and modify it the way you want. It's obvious that you know the cutting of the barrel is just not a great idea by your question in the first place. Yes it is your gun and you can do as you please. But,,, just because it's your gun and you cut it won't make it the best, or right decision. If money to modify the length is an issue then sell it, buy a used one and have it cut and modified and you might be money ahead. Also I really dont think cutting "X" amonunt off the barrel is going to make it that much easier to carry through the woods. I have carried many a gun through the woods the longest is a 30 inch double barrel 16 gauge of my grand fathers and the shortest a 4.5 inch barrel Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver. Just my 2 cents worth and my opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts