Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
When did the 35 Rem XLR come out and is it still being produced? It does not appear in the 2011 catalouge I just picked up?? Anybody know?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
biggog said:
I think it came out in 2006 and 2009 was the last year.
If you can find the 06 snag it.. my 30-30 was first year and it's awesome

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
Yes it's true the 336XLR-35R were discontinued. Probably not a seller and a few months ago I was able to get one NIB a 2007 vintage on a blowout sale, they went quick. Although it looks and feels no different than my 308XLR I like it more.

TO NY

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were all 35 Rem XLR's made in North Haven prior to the move to the Remington plant?

Another question, what do you guys think of XLR's in general? My 336C has treated me well and I am not sure I "need" to upgrade.

If I couldn't find one in 35 rem I would consider getting one in 45/70 if one presented itself for the right money. They sure look nice...

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
mattusmc said:
Were all 35 Rem XLR's made in North Haven prior to the move to the Remington plant?

Another question, what do you guys think of XLR's in general? My 336C has treated me well and I am not sure I "need" to upgrade.

If I couldn't find one in 35 rem I would consider getting one in 45/70 if one presented itself for the right money. They sure look nice...
I have noting against a 45-70 But logical difference between a 336xlr-35R and other XLR would the 338XLR or MX. Both shoot a 200gr. FTX bullet. A hand loader can do well with a 338 exp. using printed data from 2000fps to 2400fps. to suit the need for target/game without worry of pressure problems and both cost the same.

TO NY

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I have 2 of the XLR's 30-30 and 338. I like the looks of the stainless and Lams, but like the blue and wood as well. Had swapped the Lams on the 30-30 to the 308 MX and put the walnut on the XLR. Both looked good, but switched back a couple of weeks ago, issues with the 308 hitting in a different spot with the weather being 70 degrees cooler, forearm pressure. Rather than alter it, just swapped stocks back again. Now need to resight both in. The longer rifles still handle well with the shorter mag. tube. A good 338 is ALMOST as good as a good woman, just not as warm and cuddley. ;D DP

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
308/338, I understand what you are saying about 45/70 and 35 Rem not really being in the same catagory. I don't really need anything caliber-wise, I just like the 35 Rem and the 45/70, that's all.
I like the old school calibers and have not really considered the 308 and 338...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a XLR 35rem through a local dealer about 2 months ago. Wherever he got it they had about 25 in stock. I love it, I've had a 30-30 and one of the new 308MX and this is by far the best gun. I installed a wild west trigger and with speer 220grn handloads am getting 3/4" 5 shot groups. The 35rem drops off quick around 200 yards but it sure seems to hit hard. Why all the posts above about the 338? The original poster asks about the 35rem.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I think I saw where Buds had 'em listed back last night. Seems liek I heard they are new Remlin built guns with whatever was left. Anybody else heard this?

·
Super Moderator
12,205 Posts
I also bought one which had been heavily discounted around Christmas. Its been at the gunsmith ever since having some work done so I bought a 35 LTD in the meantime. With the weather warming up I'm getting anxious to get the XLR back and try it out.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I use the XLR version as my 'beater'. No blue to wear off, laminate stock does not 'ding' as easy and I don't worry about it getting rained or snowed on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any of your guys XLR's have real loose forearms. Mine is way wobbly, I think it was Marlins idea of a free floated barrel. It shoots real good so I don't want to mess with it but I might glass bed the rear part were it meets the receiver.

·
Registered
174 Posts
MY 35xlr was a little wobbly but I tightend up the forearm cap screw and most was gone. I then shot some break in rounds and accuracy was still very good. Don't know about the free floating thing but I am having my mag tube cut to be flush with the foreend cap. Want the 24" barrel but don't need more than a 3 round mag. Should reduce weight a little also and the smith said that accuracy could be improved with the mod??? We'll see!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts