Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my 308 w/ the barrel cant issue returned, fought with ups all day to get them to believe that the shipping sticker from Marlin was all i needed. Even got transferred to their Hazmat div. once. Still haven't got my refund from Marlin, but I assume its on its way. In the meantime, I had bought a new unfired 336w on gunbroker, before I had recvd the bad 308mx. With dread I awaited it, and I was not let down. The front sights are pointing off at 10 o clock and the dovetail on the rear is cocked at a rakish angle the other way. There is no way to adjust anything to even line the 2 up. At first I thought the barrel must be crooked, but I think its fine, and the letter stampings are the same distance on either side from the forearm wood. So, I called Marlin, high-rate-of-calls answer. So I tried the general info line and got through, to a smart ass. I explained the problem, he said by all means send it in. I said would there be a chance I could just get front dummy screws and I would leave the sights off, he says dont you want the problem fixed, I said yes I did but I didnt want to wait 6 months for my rifle back, he pretty much said that was ridiculous-it'd be 6-8 weeks max, I said well Ive heard of long awaited returns and problems remaining after returns, and he says that only happened during the middle of the move. So pretty much I can send it in on my dime and hope for the best, or live with it. My question is, what will they do to it, replace the barrel or try to cobble the crooked line up straight with new holes, bored out holes-dovetail grooves etc. Or leave one crooked and just get the other to line up? I know-the dont buy guns online answer- but Ive been buying guns that way for years, never had the slightest bit of unexpected trouble until I bought Marlins there. Even one new serbian zastava was better than described. In you guys' opinion, should I send it in, or just pass it on at the next gunshow? The other issue is it was a new unfired rifle, but it was preowned, bought from private owner not a retailer, is that going to give Marlin a reason to make me pay for their services? The operator wouldn't tell me much, it was pretty much send it in and then we'll decide what we are going to do. I dont trust this company, at this point I wouldnt use a keychain that said Marlin on it. But I have to get the gun right to get my money out of it without just screwing someone on the facts like the guy did me online, which I wont do, even if I have to lose a 100. The action is glass smooth and the chambering seems to be better than any I ve felt on these new models, but I guarantee you IF someone looked down these sights before it left a factory, they wanted them to be screwed up. Is there anywhere I can get front dummy screws that are already short enough to be flush without cutting 6-48s down? Brownells didnt have any that were shorter than the peep sight dummy screws, which are too long. Thanks guys

·
Registered
162 Posts
OK, you asked for advice... where to start?

Yes, don't buy guns online when you know there are quality control issues with the brand at this time. I know that isn't helpful to you, but other people might heed the warning.

You ask what Marlin might do to fix the sight issue? That would be up to the tech who does the repairs. No way to second guess them right now.

Send it in or pass it on at the next gun show? I think you answered both those questions yourself. As far as sending it in... there is no guarantee that Marlin will honor the warranty on a gun that is second hand - even though it was unfired. They could claim the damage was done in shipping or by the previous owner. You yourself say you don't trust the company...so I don't think it would be logical for you to place the gun in their hands and put yourself at their mercy. As far as passing it on at the next gun show... wouldn't that be the equivalent of "just screwing someone on the facts" as was done to you. You say you wouldn't do that.

You are also hinting at a third option that sounds viable. You are talking about dummy screws for the front sight which suggests to me that you would be happy with a scope on the gun. I am sure that you will be able to find the dummy screws somewhere and until you do there is nothing wrong with using the gun with the front screw holes left open. You say the action is glass smooth and the chambering is good. I would slap a scope on the sucker, see if it groups satisfactorily and then enjoy the gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I said I would pass it on, I didnt say I wouldn't point out the problem with it, which would be impossible to hide to a blind man who actually puts their hands on it anyway. And, there is no way damage can cause factory holes to be drilled 10 degrees off from center or a dovetail to be cut cockeyed. And, when I bought the first Marlin online, I didnt realize there were qc problems at this time, I just had blind faith in what was as far as I knew still a reliable, predictable product-my fault i realize. I actually talked to a smith-tech at Brownells and he was at a loss to find the right actual dummy screws without making some(shortening), I'm sure its a dumb question, but is there somewhere I could order some? I apologize for this portion of my topic not being in the appropriate thread.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Tony123,
Your problem with the correct short screws is why Dremel makes cut off wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I KNOW, BUT I STILL HAVE TO ORDER THE SCREWS TO CUT DOWN, MIGHT AS WELL ORDER THE RIGHT ONES IN THE FIRST PLACE IF IM GOING THROUGH THE SAME MOTIONS, BUT YES YOU ARE RIGHT, I CAN SHORTEN THEM WITH A DREMEL. IN FACT I THINK MARLIN SHOULD SEND ALL THEIR NEW RIFLES OUT WITH A DO-IT-YOURSELF GUNSMITH TOOL KIT, AND A NOTE SAYING "BEST OF LUCK".

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
any gun shop should have them or Lowe's , Home Depot ect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts