Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I put a Marlin 336W on layaway at the local WM.
It has a walnut stock and a muted finish.
Fit n finish are good, no defects that I noted.

What do I need to know about this rifle before I get it out of layaway?

Also, I reload and what is a decent bullet and load for this rifle.
I have some 150 gr. fp jacketed bullets to load up for it.

Thanks
336W.JPG

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Congrats. Your first thing to do would be to take a good look around this sight for possible issues that are common in current production marlins/remlins and do a very thorough inspection of the rifle before you take possession of it.
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Be sure to get all the info from experienced guy's on her before you take possession of the rifle. I think since you're dealing with Walmart you could back out of the deal if it turns out the rifle you've chosen is one that proves to be faulty. Some of the reports on these have bad fitting wood to metal and sights that are crooked. Maybe some other things that will be pointed out and help you make the right choice.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Find out WM's return policy.

Mike T.

Reactions: Leverforever

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If it's just on lay a way you can change your mind,no paper work is done till it's paid for so you don't own the gun and it isn't in your name,they'll just sell it to the next guy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could be mistaken on the Walnut, it was real wood and not laminate.

Fit was excellant on the stock, no glaring issues.

Sights looked ok, they lined up when I shouldered the rifle.

Is the finish a kind of parkerizing?

Looks ok for the price so far

·
Registered
692 Posts
I dont believe the 336W's have a walnut stock, i could be mistaken.
I believe you are correct. The stock pic the OP posted is a laminated stocked rifle. It is a Remiln. The laminated stock and matte finish turn me off. The black bolt does not say "Marlin" to me.

It may make the OP the happiest gunner around tho.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I will tell you what to look for. Both sights are on straight, look along the barrels to see if parallel to each other, wood to metal fit with forearm and rear stock and check under the lever, cycle the action it might be a little ruff that will take care of its self or do a search on tune up, you can watch the carrier go up and down through the loading port, Check the crown I run my finger around it. You might have found one in the Birch stock its most likely made by Remington. Check the serial # if starts with MR it was made by Remington What I have found that with the 336W you just have to give it the once over. I just bought a 1894 in 44mag and it was made by Remington. I gave it the once over twice. The rifle has worked just fine. Just be careful when you buy. If something is questionable just don't buy it. Check the rant forum and see what some of the issues they are having or found. Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  • Manufacturer: Marlin
  • Model: 336W (70520)
  • Action: Lever Action
  • Caliber: .30-30 WIN
  • Barrel: 20" with Micro-Groove® rifling (12 grooves).
  • Receiver: Side ejection, Solid top receiver, Deeply blued metal surfaces, Gold-plated steel trigger, Hammer block safety.
  • Stock: Walnut finished cut-checkered hardwood with pistol grip; tough Mar-Shield finish; blued steel barrel band with integral swivel; padded nylon sling; hard rubber butt plate.
  • Sights: Adjustable semi-buckhorn folding rear; ramp front sight with brass bead and Wide-Scan hood. Solid top receiver tapped for scope mount; offset hammer spur (right or left hand) for scope use.
  • Capacity: 6+1 RD
  • Overall Length: 38.25"
  • Weight: 7 lbs
  • MSRP: $515.00 (reserve much lower!)
Wonder if that means a finish and not true walnut?

Answered my own question, its a hardwood....

·
Super Moderator
17,276 Posts
The 336W Comes With A Birch Stock That Is Stained With A Dark Walnut Stain... I've Got A 2000 Model And I Love it.

·
Super Moderator
16,052 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
The 336W Comes With A Birch Stock That Is Stained With A Dark Walnut Stain... I've Got A 2000 Model And I Love it.
Your 2000 W and my 2005 W (JMs) came with birch stock. Every Remlin I've seen at Walmart lately has had a laminated stock which in my opinion is not as pleasing to look at as birch let alone walnut.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To answer one of your questions, I have a Remlin barrel and receiver and it's some kind of parkerized like finish and not the bluing you find on the older models.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Well I bought the 336w from walmart on march of 2013. It had a laminated stock and it fitted pretty dang good, sights are striaght but the action was a little rough. I disassemble it all the way and clean and remoil it. The cycle after that that was smooth. My eyesight aint what it use to be so I scope it with a nikon inline 3x9x40 with a 5 inch eye relief and here is a 100 yard target with winchester super x 150 grain store bought ammo.

30-30.jpg
I did this a few months after my stroke and I used a 12 inch bullbag from a fold out table. I figuired if I didnt have the shakes from my stroke I probably could had done better. And this is from a walmart remlin:biggrin:.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I think the 336W has a Birchwood stock.Anyway,if you stick around this sight long enough you will have a change of heart about the Remlin and get a used Marlin 336.There are plenty out there in excellent condition that can be had for the same price or less than a new Remlin

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
First, 336Ws do not have real walnut stocks (336Cs have real walnut), they are birch that have been stained to look like walnut, sorta. Ok, it is a lower grade, that is why the cost is lower. Fear not, they are still quite serviceable. Marlin has a long history with such stocks, they have proven themselves in the field. I have what I think is an early Remlin (Might be a Remlin, might not. Don't care at this point.) 336A (like a W, but with an end cap instead of a band on the fore stock, and it had a China-special cheap-o scope instead of the sling) that also has the stained birch stocks. The metal to wood fit isn't all that great, but other than that it has been a really good rifle. Action is smooth, accuracy is surprisingly good, finish is decent. The package scope was a POS and shook itself apart in less than 50 rounds, but I replaced it with a more appropriate name brand scope and now I am happy with it.

Second, I note that you are a reloader (as am I), and have some flat nose 150 gr bullets (I assume jacketed), and are fishing for some loads. Ok, what else do you have on hand, specifically powder? Any specifics on those bullets? .30-30 does work very well with 150 gr flat nose and round nose bullets that are designed to be used with .30-30*, as almost all .308 flat nose and round nose bullets in that weight range are. What powder(s) do you intend to use? Are you willing to buy a new powder to use with your new project? If so, I'd advise picking up a pound of Hodgdon LEVERevolution (LVR), as it appears to be able to deliver significantly higher velocities than other, conventional powders. It is the powder used by Hornady in their 160 gr LEVERevolution factory loads. I just recently obtained my first pound of that powder and haven't had the opportunity to work up loads with it, so I can't give you any specifics; I've been using 3031, H335 and TAC with good results in various bullet weights.

You might want to go peruse the reloading section, BTW. Lots of good info down there. Also note that what works well in one rifle just might not work well in your own rifle.

Another thing to keep in mind is that .30-30 brass is kinda thin, and prone to the evils that come along with thin brass.

Oh, yeah -- don't forget to try out cast loads! Full strength and light plinkers/tree rat loads!

* the main thing to keep in mind is that there are 2 varieties of jacketed flat/round nosed .308 bullets. Those that are intended to be used with .30-30, and those that are intended to be used with much stouter rounds against tough game. The difference is that the .30-30 bullets are going to have thinner jackets and are going to be somewhat lighter than the heavier ones intended to be used in big magnums. Then again, there's the heavier ones with lighter jackets like those intended to be used with .30-40 Krag...

Reactions: mjadams61

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. If all is in order, I say go out and have fun with it. Just for info, my 30-30 seems to prefer 170gr bullets, but you'll soon know what yours likes best.

Reactions: mjadams61
1 - 19 of 19 Posts