Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone other than Sidespin was lucky enough to get their hands on one? I went to my dealer when I first heard of them. He told me he would put one on order for me. Come to find out I would have a better chance of hitting the lotto. I think Sidespin must have friends in high places! :wink:

I went to my dealer yesterday looking for a new 336 30-30. He didn't have one in stock. He said he has an order coming and it should be here today. I am about to go to town. I'll stop in a check it out.

I really need to get back to work....I have too much time on my hands and I am spending to much money!

Sidespin,

Please tell us about your 336SS. Last I read you were sending it off to Marlin. Did you get it back? Please forgive the yelling, but......HOW ABOUT SOME PICTURES!!!!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
LeverPuller,

I know where you can get one for $482.99 and he'll even let you put it on layaway for 6 months. I'm sending him my final payment in a couple of weeks. When I reserved mine a few months ago he had 34 of them. Let me know if your interested and I'll get you his contact info.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Leverpuller, I have one as well. There are several for sale at any given time on gunbroker and auctionarms. I would say in several years people will be kicking themselves for not buying these. I love mine. It shoot the new Hornady ammo great. I can't say that I am crazy about the looks of a stainless leveraction, but pretty is as pretty does. I have a Leupold 2-7X compact scope mounted on mine. It could well be the first rifle I pick up when I head to the woods this Fall.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here's mine:

If you can find one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It a really handy rifle.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duckbill,

I am very interested. I would love some contact information. Is he a FFL dealer? Please send me an email or private message when you get a chance. I can't believe the price. Not much more than the 336SS 30-30 I just purchased.

Sidespin!
I didn't realize you had a 336D, too! I have never seen one. :shock: Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

As I just mentioned, I just purchased 336SS 30-30. I had Max (my dealer) send it back to Marlin. We opened the box and pulled it out, and right off the bat, I saw a small ding in the wood on the right side of the stock. Also there was what seemed like epoxy or something oozing out where the recoil pad meets the wood. Then I begin to nitpick it a little and really didn't like where the forearm met the reciever. This is the second Marlin I have gotten in as many months, and I must say I am not to happy with their QC department.

However, I will say, the lever's action was very smooth. I took some fired casing so I could dry fire it a couple of times, and the trigger was very good. It seems the "important" stuff is right up to Marlin standards.

Now you would be hard pressed to find a more loyal Marlin shooter/fan than I. In my not-so-humble opinion, Marlin still gives you the most bang for the buck. I know I am not talking about a 2000 dollar Kimber here, but they really need to focus on wood to metal fitting a little more. And having one go out the door with a visible dent in the wood as this one had is really unacceptable to me. This is the first one I have ever sent back. I really should send my M917m2 back to them but I won't. I am pretty hard on my firearms when I am in the woods. It's just if there is a ding on my gun, I want to have been the one that put it there. Sounds silly, I know.

Now the real stress begins..... I had good reason to buy a 30-30. In fact it was my wife who told me to go and get another one to replace the one I just gave away. (Sorry fellas she is mine, and happily married, thank you 8) !) But I am gonna have to really put my thinking cap on and come up with a soild and HONEST reason to purchase this LTD. I think I am going to go with the limited production "sale's pitch". Only 1000 made, I believe, is a pretty good start.

In anycase, you can bet there will be a candle light dinner for two, cooked by myself of course, as the younguns are gone tonight. If I play my cards right I will even be able to watch a little Speed Channel tonight to catch up on the Darlington race weekend. You don't think I'm pushing my limits do you? :wink:

·
Registered
860 Posts
336 LTD Stainless .35

I got mine new-in-the-box from Sure-Shot. He had an extra one, felt sorry for me (even held it for me until the 1st of the year) and gave me a great price. You gotta get one if you can. Mine groups superbly with both "Leverevolution" and Rem 200 gr factory loads. I added a Williams FP receiver sight, Clyde Ludwig's cross-bolt safety replacement (had it hard-chromed to match), nickle-plated swivels and a WWG aluminum follower. The trigger is 4.6 lbs from the box, no creep. Stock is nice, dark, straight-grained walnut that fits perfectly. This has become my favorite Marlin (out of eight). It is a handy, rugged, hard-hitting rifle that will hit and kill most anything in North America out to 200 yds. OK, I'm off the soapbox-just get one-you'll like it! Bob (OIF2)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Leverpuller said:
Duckbill,

I am very interested. I would love some contact information. Is he a FFL dealer? Please send me an email or private message when you get a chance. I can't believe the price. Not much more than the 336SS 30-30 I just purchased.

Sent you a PM :wink: .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, Mr. Duckbill.

...........................TO BE CONTINUED................ :wink:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have been eying one at a dealer's neart me. I could get it for $500.00. I want it but it also has a poor wood to metal fit. Leverpuller, did Marlin give you any hassle at all to replace the wood? Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
wiktor said:
I have been eying one at a dealer's neart me. I could get it for $500.00. I want it but it also has a poor wood to metal fit. Leverpuller, did Marlin give you any hassle at all to replace the wood? Thanks!
I'm trying 2 understand: a Ltd run of 500 (or fewer), in stainless, in a good caliber and the wood to metal finish is less than perfect...... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: r u kidding!

B-U-Y a Black synthetic stock on put in on in replace of the laminate it'll look nicer anyway....

Next year the rifle will be worth twice what you paid for it...IMPERFECT WOOD OR........................................................ N-O-T

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gunpowder,

My dealer sent back the 336ss 30-30 to Marlin for me. He is going to handle the entire process for me. However, I doubt there will be any troubles in getting the wood replaced. I have heard that Marlin is very good about fixing problems.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Leverpuller said:
Gunpowder,

My dealer sent back the 336ss 30-30 to Marlin for me. He is going to handle the entire process for me. However, I doubt there will be any troubles in getting the wood replaced. I have heard that Marlin is very good about fixing problems.
They are ***excellent***....and you could have sent the rifle back to Marlin on your own.

I had a nice, rare Marlin with a lot of the screw heads burred by the previous -idiot- owner. I took off the butt stock, sent in the barreled action, with a note about the screws; I requested that all screws be replaced. They sent the rifle back with a stock on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way FYI, when the 1st editions XTR Winchesters in Big Bore 375 came out you could stick a playing card between the wood and metal in the butt-stock (Tang area)... looking from the top down gap was not noticable but from the side it was obvious. The gap made no, difference the rifle was incredibably accurate with open sights.

·
Registered
555 Posts
336 stainless .35 limited still available

Saw four .35 336 stainless limited at Gander Mountain Midletown NY store.
Price is $569.00 :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts