Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Marlin 336SC with G prefix (1950), one a 30-30 and one a 35 Rem. Both are 95%+, original wood, original finish, untapped and no sling swivels drilled. Question is one has a white butt stock spacer and the other does not. The serial numbers are within 100 of each other!! I've scene pictures on the inter-net with and without the white butt spacer, and vintage adds that appear to show a late 40's or early 50's 336sc with or without a spacer? Now I think it should have a white spacer, but does anyone know for sure? Adding a spacer is a minor thing, but is it the right thing to do?

Both these rifles also came with same model vintage lyman peep sights installed, one rifle was purchased in NC and the other NJ, the close serial numbers and same sight is kinda freaky.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The guy that originally owned the one without the spacer was like me. I dislike the white line and the first thing I do is remove them. Some of you may also be old enough to recall that one of the more popular gun writers of the 40s and 50s, possibly Jack O'Connor but I can't recall for certain, ranted about how he couldn't stand the spacers on any guns. I think a lot were taken off due to his opinion. They had started showing up on custom bolt guns and he single handed reversed that trend.

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
I believe that the spacers started showing up in Marlin rifles produced in late 1950. MO member Schtoolee can give you a better idea when that exactly changed.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Daly hit it dead on. White spacers, are typically a post war gimmick, Pachmayer for example, always offered recoil pads with or with out them. Traditionalist generally do not like them. That fact that they rarely fit for sour owl manure on a Marlin, a lot of guys took them out.

Not one collector in 10, will know the difference.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, part not at numrich, now thanks to your wisdom, I'll not worry about it

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My 336 30-30 and 35 cal both have the white spacer, I removed them and cleaned them up and put them back on, I like the white spacer, just me. :flute:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I got to thinking, I bought a 39A around 1990 or so, took the white spacer out ASAP.

For sure most any white plastic, can make a good replacement, with a bit of judicious care. On top of that, one will "save the planet" and make a tree hugger happier.:biggrin:

Reactions: graymustang
1 - 8 of 8 Posts