Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Howdy Mate,

Welcome to the Marlin family. Great friends and info here.
Sounds like your problem will be resolved with different ammo. Be safe!
Love the 336ss, they sure are purty.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Prospector,

Try the magic marker trick, but just open the action and insert a cartridge by hand.
Have you checked the length of your cases? If you're crimping in the cannelure you may
have to shorten the case, Hornady actually does this for some calibers, I believe the 450M is
one of them with their 325FTX ammo.

If you're fully resizing fired cases, they can lengthen. Load a dummy round but do NOT crimp the
bullet. If the case is too long, closing the lever should push the bullet back in to the case without too much effort. Case length consistency I believe is likely to be your problem. The lee case trimmer
is a relatively cheap and easy way to make all your cases uniform length. There are other case trimmer options like Forster, RCBS, and Lyman, essentially mini hand powered lathes. For accuracy, think consistent case volume, the benchrest guys trim all their brass. It doesn't take much variation in length to give the kind of problem you have.

My $.02

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Try the magic marker trick, (cover the bullet completely with a dark sharpie marker) but just open the action and insert a cartridge by hand.
Load a dummy round but
do NOT crimp the
bullet.
If the case is too long, closing the lever should push the bullet back in to the case without too much effort. You'll see scratches on the bullet.
Now measure the total length. That gives you the length exactly to the lands.
Case length consistency I believe is likely to be your problem.
I added some to your good quote

I do that with all my new bullets I want to try. Gives me a good starting point.
Each rifle may be a hair off from one to another and if you reload you are perfecting that load for YOUR rifle.

·
Premium Member
6,507 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I must have missed the part where the OP indicated these were reloads. I thought he said they were Hornady LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
I must have missed the part where the OP indicated these were reloads. I thought he said they were Hornady LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This...
Breaking in a 2020 Marlin 336S in 30-30, perhaps different to US model, includes a safety button depressed by cycling lever that sporadically does/does not depress. This safety is to protect against firing accidentally while cycling but mine, even cycled and loaded properly (well so it seems) will not depress sometimes and I cannot fire? I'm using Hornandy Lever Evolution rounds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Once you have done the tear down, cleaning and inspection of your rifle, cycle the action several hundred times.
This will smooth up the action.
When I first got my 1894 44 Mag I did just that. I almost couldn't help myself. New toy and had to play with it.
With it clean and dry a thin coat of tooth paste with grit in it on all the contact surfaces, then cycle the action 25 or so times. Thenclean and lube. Check smoothness. Repeat this polishing till it feels better.
The gritty toothpaste won't remove much metal bu will polish the rough spots.
If all you have tried in the gun is the Harnady ammo definitely try other ammo. It may be just that ammo.
Easy fiox if it is.
Leo

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well if he is reloading and just using the LVR rubber tip bullets in other reloaded brass his brass needs to be shortened.
The Hornady brass is .010 shorter er some such. OP need's to make them the same length as Hornady LVR brass.
All other brass is going to be a touch to long to fit chamber, about like what you show in the action not closing..
If they are factory loaded LVR rds rom Hornady could be Hornady let some out without trimming up.
The 160gr bullets are to long with untrimmed brass, the 135gr LVR bullets I've got work with regular uncut brass.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It also depends on which iteration of the 30 cal FTX he has. There are two versions, one for the 30-30,
the other for the 308ME. The cannelure is in a different place, and the shape a bit different. The 308ME has a boattail, and is a significant improvement in BC, the nose is longer as well. Unless you have them side by side, it's difficult to see the differences.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Rubber tipped bulets have a shoter shank and longer ogive. This shape has a higher BC. To load these in a 30-30 case of correct length the mouth of the case sets out past where the ogive starts. This makes it tufgh to crimp the bullet as needed to ensure positive feeding and not set back in themagazine.
Hornady uses a shoter case so it can be crimped. That's the only reason the LE cases are shoter on some cartridges.
If you load the same bullet in a correct length case, then cartridge may be too long to feed as well as possibly not chamber. Seeing as how most 30-30's are throated to fire the 170 gr RN bullet I dion't think that will be an issue.
Anyway He is not tring reloads, he's using Factory loads. No where in this thread did he say he was using reloads. He even stressred it when asked.
Leo

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well OP what did you find out? Factory cartridges or Hornady tipped bullets in a standard case?
Curious to find out. I have a 336 ss it functions with both factory and my own in several weights, haven't tried the 140's yet though. The 135 gr are a soft bullet but would work on ribcage shots. But they shoot nice.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts