Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breaking in a 2020 Marlin 336S in 30-30, perhaps different to US model, includes a safety button depressed by cycling lever that sporadically does/does not depress. This safety is to protect against firing accidentally while cycling but mine, even cycled and loaded properly (well so it seems) will not depress sometimes and I cannot fire? I'm using Hornandy Lever Evolution rounds.

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
G'day and welcome from Alabama...

Does it do it without a round chambered? Or something other than a Hornady round?

Headspace issue maybe? Headspaces on the rim so the max thickness of the rim should be 1.60mm...

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
Also could you show a pic of the entire ejection slot in this state?

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
Oh... And ALL of them have that trigger safety block...

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
from the picture, it looks like a head space problem to me

jd

·
Registered
543 Posts
looks like headspace.
My latest batches of Hornady brass all had thin rims
Had a lady at our range last week with same issue on a 218bee, reloads had been brass from a different gun neck sized only and shoulder was too long preventing chambering.
Try some brand different rounds

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ok - I have a stupid question. If it's head spacing does this mean the overall length of the ammo is too long? Could they be seated a little deeper to allow it to work?

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
Ok - I have a stupid question. If it's head spacing does this mean the overall length of the ammo is too long? Could they be seated a little deeper to allow it to work?
Yes... If the shoulder isn't the correct length it could happen... Not what you expect from factory ammo though as the 30-30 headspaces on the rim...

Chamber dimensions...

Case dimensions...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G'day and welcome from Alabama...

Does it do it without a round chambered? Or something other than a Hornady round?

Headspace issue maybe? Headspaces on the rim so the max thickness of the rim should be 1.60mm...
Thanks for your reply! It does not do it when empty, so head space does make sense. I have no other rounds to try so will pick some up and compare thicknesses.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yes... If the shoulder isn't the correct length it could happen... Not what you expect from factory ammo though as the 30-30 headspaces on the rim...

Chamber dimensions...

View attachment 845624

Case dimensions...

View attachment 845625
Thanks for the explanation! So could it be the bullet is making contact with the lands? I've had that happen in my Henry 45/70 with a speed 400 grain soft point. Like you said that would be very unusual with factory ammo though. How would a guy fix the headspacing? Ream the chamber I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
Thanks for your reply! It does not do it when empty, so head space does make sense. I have no other rounds to try so will pick some up and compare thicknesses.
Well, it could be headspace, however it could have the correct rim thickness and the shoulder could be set to far forward...

The thing to do first is measure the rim thickness...

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! So could it be the bullet is making contact with the lands? I've had that happen in my Henry 45/70 with a speed 400 grain soft point. Like you said that would be very unusual with factory ammo though. How would a guy fix the headspacing? Ream the chamber I suppose.
I believe the headspace is set by the thickness of the locking bolt...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
try this. take a black marker. color the bullet. chamber the rd eject it. if you can see rifiling marks on the bullet thats it.
That's a good idea, I may try that. I was looking at the shell casings for damage marks and to be fair they're all a bit scratched up but no obvious press marks or indentations.

·
Super Moderator
16,881 Posts
Also, the reason I asked for a pic of the barrel end of the ejection port with a round loaded is the extractor may not be going into it's notch in the barrel properly... Not a likely problem but it should be eliminated...

Couldn't see it in the video...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Breaking in a 2020 Marlin 336S in 30-30, perhaps different to US model, includes a safety button depressed by cycling lever that sporadically does/does not depress. This safety is to protect against firing accidentally while cycling but mine, even cycled and loaded properly (well so it seems) will not depress sometimes and I cannot fire? I'm using Hornandy Lever Evolution rounds. View attachment 845621
My neighbor has the same problem with leverlution rounds. They are slightly longer than the reloads I make for him and with the long taper on the ogive I believe he is up against the lands. This can cause a pressure spike. Neither regular factory ammo, nor my reloads have this problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Marlin Owners from a fellow Australian. Nice looking rifle you have there. Other members have suggested headspace or ammo size issues with your rifle; follow up on these to eliminate them from the equation. You mentioned scratched brass in your last post, this can be caused by burrs in the action left over from the manufacturer's machining process. Have a look at the chamber entrance for any burrs or debris in this area that could stop the bolt from closing on a round. Field strip the rifle (see owners manual) and clean all the internal workings and reassemble, but first get a set of good quality "hollow ground'" screwdrivers. If you use ordinary hardware store screwdrivers you will almost certainly slip and scratch/gouge the action (don't ask how I know this). While you have the action apart you may as well perform an action "slickup". This procedure is described in posts on this forum, (can someone please chime in with links) and also on you tube etc. All you need is 600 and 800 grit "wet and dry" sand paper, a paddle pop stick and a round pencil or a piece of dowell and you will transform your rifle's action from "chaff cutter to Swiss Watch".
Good luck,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts