Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I have a line on a 336RC in .35 Rem that has a serial number starting with Z22xxx which leads me to believe it's a 1964 model. My question is about it having a square lever. After reading Ranch Dogs post on Texans, I didn't thing the levers were square until 1970? Does that have to mean that someone has swapped levers on it and it's not original?

Thanks for your time,
Steve

photo 2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Very Nice looking rifle. Congratulations on it !

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good question Levergunx1. The tag said 20", but I'll go back tomorrow and compare it to all the others there. I don't think it was that short, I probably would have noticed that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a couple more pics. I don't have one of the entire gun all at once. I'm still hoping that the square lever could be original. Any chance of that?
photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Could be. My wife's '62 has a round lever. That era should have a 20" bbl too.

Sent from my MB886 using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
As far as I know, it should have a Round Lever. My best guess is that someone changed it.

Now if I'm wrong, it won't be the first time, lol.

Bill

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's hard to tell with guns that old, but I have seen enough variations that I have a hard time believing they didn't occasionally use parts on hand. Perhaps to finish up a production run when they were a couple parts short due to a machine in repair ... or whatever. Maybe it was a special request. Or even an error...

One way or the other, I wouldn't let it keeping me from buying it.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have old catalogs from the 50's-60's and don't see anything with a squared lever, Marauders had rounded levers. Probably been swapped out but I don't think it hurts the value of a gun from the sixty's. IMHO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 67 Texan and it has the round lever, IIRC 69 or 70 was about the time they changed to the squared lever.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Well my guess is that someone put on the square lever.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a "Y" prefix RC in 35 (not a Marauder, darn it!) that has round lever. Guessing it was changed for some reason (probably previous owner's taste) but should not hurt a thing...fine looking rifle.
PS: Might be a price bargaining point though if you go back to get it! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have a "Y" prefix RC in 35 (not a Marauder, darn it!) that has round lever. Guessing it was changed for some reason (probably previous owner's taste) but should not hurt a thing...fine looking rifle.
PS: Might be a price bargaining point though if you go back to get it! :biggrin:
"Y" = 1964 so you rifle would be correct with round lever.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
It would take me less than an hour to take a curved round lever and make that gun correct. If the price is right buy it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
"Y" = 1964 so you rifle would be correct with round lever.
Sorry for my confusing post...I meant OP's rifle may have had lever changed at some point. Pretty sure mine is correct, as it has been in family since new.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
A neighbor came over one time while I was doing the annual BAR gun cleaning. I had five (belonging to various family members) stripped down and on a long table in the garage, neatly arranged in groups where each got the original parts back. The neighbor wanted to know if I knew what went where. I answered that I did know, so don't mess with things.

Could be that someone just was cleaning a couple of guns and got the levers mixed up. Or as earlier suggested, changed for whatever reason.

I'm neutral on the lever. Far anything other than a collector grade firearm, I do not see a problem. I have seen levers bent. Rather than repair, some folks would replace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts