Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you know from from my thread http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/151004-bullet-tumble-35rem.html My muzzle is a lost cause. I am attempting to shorten this down and breathe new life back in to her. the plan is just a plan, and subject to change. I'm open to ideas of course, and I've seen some awesome work by other members here. Please don't hesitate to guide, correct, or just plain tell me I'm screwing up.

The idea is to take the 20" barrel to 17"
Shorten the mag tube to a 3/4 style, and delete front band (need correct measure if anyone has it)
Change the band style forend to cap style.
Have not decided on sight, keep the ramp, or dovetail a post.

On the forend, The groove cut under the barrel for the rear band screw is 8 1/2" from inside edge of receiver. is this also the correct measure to place the dovetail for the cap tenon? I know it seems small, and would be hidden by the wood, but If the dovetail does not fall at that spot, I would know the extra groove is there. Call me OCD, but I can't have that. That may be the one thing that keeps me with the rear band style wood.

I have access to the facing and crowning tools, so that won't be a problem. I'll have to buy a dovetail jig. Suggestions on a good, reasonable priced one?

When this is finally done, I plan to hot blue myself using a caustic recipe off the internet, and a tank setup I made a few years ago. I had plans to do some .22's, but was afraid to try when it came right down to it. Not much to loose this time, if it don't work, I'll have to send her off to get done.

photo (8).JPG measure 1.JPG measure.JPG tank.JPG

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Post us some Pics when your done with your Shorty project! Good Luck!!!

Reactions: Klewless

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Only time and your expertise will tell the tail on this projected project. If it turns out badly, your to blame. if it`s a "winner" You can take all the credit. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're doing this to fix the tumbling issue I think you're going to be disappointed.
Yes, and no. I am hoping it will correct the tumbling, I expect it will, but......always a but huh? If it does GREAT! If not, well, it will still be a shooter with the Hornady, and I have no problem feeding her that, so it won't be a loss by any means. I absolutely love the looks of the short lever guns, and the prospect of resloving the tumbling was just the primer needed to set off the project.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally would leave the forearm banded as I think the conversion is more trouble than it is worth and I'm not sure you can hide the screw slot.
I think you are right Eli, I shortened the wood in front of the band some, has a better look than I expected. I am still doing away with the front band, and cutting the dovetail for the tube mount.

Wood shortened
3" off the barrel
6 1/2" off the tube and spring

It's a start.

cut.JPG barrel face.JPG

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Klewless,
Looks Great so far.
I think You're Going to Be Real Happy w/ the Shorter Rifle.
She Should Shoot Better Too. Shorter Barrel Is Stiffer. Stiffer Barrel = More Accurate.
Just Be Prepared for a Little More Muzzle Blast w/ Heavy Loads.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had the same problem, it was the bolt spring. don't cut the barrel yet, that will make it worse. and if you do cut the barrel, don't use a chop saw, the heat de-sulpherizes the barrel steel, weakening it, so the muzzle will be soft. the rifling will wear away quickly at the end. you have to use a lathe or a hacksaw.

haha just kidding. I saw what you did.

shoot it now, without the fore end or mag tube, and see if your tumbling isn't history. I'm not seeing much rifling, but the picture may not be ideal for that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BOLT SPRING ??? Now you tell me. :flute:

Once the barrel is faced, and crown cut and lapped, I will test her out some before I go any farther. At this point, she is what she is. If the tumbling is still present, then it's Hornady or cast from here on, and all will be fine.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Don't look back, I'm ready to chop a couple more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BOLT SPRING ??? Now you tell me. :flute:

Once the barrel is faced, and crown cut and lapped, I will test her out some before I go any farther. At this point, she is what she is. If the tumbling is still present, then it's Hornady or cast from here on, and all will be fine.
Was going to ask if you would do the crown yourself. I see you are :flute: so..never mind.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the crown cut this afternoon. The cutters are made from used ( I believe he siad "Counterbores") from a tool and die shop. 90 degree face cutter, 11 degree recessed crown, reversable pilot (machined to fit my bore). I don't know much about this, but it looks good. I'll shoot a few rounds to see if it clears any burrs, before I do any lapping. If the bore passes the Q-tip test, I'll skip the lap.

Barrel Tools.JPG barrel face.JPG Crown.JPG

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lookin good!
I did the exact same thing to a .35 with a terribly pitted muzzle. It turned out pretty good. I can't answer the question of where the fore end dove tail will end up though. When I cut the dovetail I let the dimensions speak to me. Custom fitted if you will. I think I cut it through the screw slot, but I also reused the original RC fore end and made a custom end cap.
Looks like you're doing fine so far. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lookin good!
I did the exact same thing to a .35 with a terribly pitted muzzle. It turned out pretty good. I can't answer the question of where the fore end dove tail will end up though. When I cut the dovetail I let the dimensions speak to me. Custom fitted if you will. I think I cut it through the screw slot, but I also reused the original RC fore end and made a custom end cap.
Looks like you're doing fine so far. Keep up the good work.

Saw your work ****. Excellent job. I don't have access to a mill, so dovetail will be cut by hand. One of our Members here, (hound-1) has been gracious enough to lend me a jig, should be here in the mail soon. Another great testimony to the willingness of members to help others here on MO. I love that endcap you did. Alum or steel?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts