Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an older 336rc made in 1957. It has a "perch belly" fat forearm,
and the buttstock does have the pistol grip butt "NO pistol grip Cap"
Is the correct for this model?
There is a hole where the bullseye goes.
Thanks
Fiddlestick
I posted this over on Graybeard and one response was "the same model and close to same year has the pistolgrip CAP"

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Fiddlestick -

The '57 Marlin catalog stated that the 336 did indead have a grip cap, but all that really means is that yours was probably a late "non grip cap" model - who knows exactly when they made the transition. I'd venture a guess that there was a good deal of overlap between those with 'em and those without. Unless it looks like it was obviously restocked, I wouldn't sweat it.

Shum8

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you call Marlin you can pick up a new bullseye. What seems to happen a lot is people think that is where the sling swivel should be.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I have a 55 & it didnt have a grip cap or white spacer under the but plate.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Interesting.

Not sure about the grip cap but what about the forearm? You said it has a beefy forarm?? Wonder if its original forarm has been replaced?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I have never seen the RC model with a "fat" forearm. I own two and have seen many. They all have a slender forearm, without exception.

One of mine is also of 57 vintage RC, (slim forearm, straight grip so the grip cap discussion does not apply), I also have a 1950 SC model. It does have a very thick, substanital forearm, so I wonder the forearm has been replaced with that of the SC model?

Does this rifle have barrel bands or a cap at the front end of the forearm?

Is this a rifle you have purchsased or are planning to purchase?

SS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a P ser number that makes it a 57' I think.
I saw one just like it on one of the auctions sites looked just like this one.
It has a barrel band. Micro barrel "no warning". Dovetail front sight.
White spacer on butt.
Thanks to everyone for you help.
I went ahead and gave the 160.00 for it so I guess its mine right or wrong.
Fiddlestick

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Sidespin.

Mine had a fat foreend. I'm pretty sure it was original as the butstock is numbered & the wood matches. Looked old too. I replaced it with wood from a newer gun, early 60's if I remember right & that foreend is much slimmer.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Many times things that Marlinlsted in their catalogs did not make it into production right away. Sometimes it took until the next year to be fully initiated.
The bullseye is a good example. Almost all guns from the era that the Bullseye was initiated were fitted with it. It seemed to be a big promotion, and they didn't miss any guns. Later in the 1930's, Marlin seemed to be hit or miss on the bullseye. I've got a model 39 from 1938 with no bullseye, and a 1939 39a without. Then my 1940 39a has it, as does my 1941 39a, and my 1957 39a. I've also got a model '94 from the 1920's without it, and my model 1936 didn't have it. From what I could deduct, it seemed like Marlin didn't use the Bullseye through much of the 1930's. Maybe a depression era savings? Or maybe they just thought about dropping it, but changed their minds in the early 1940's?
The forearm thing is usually pretty standard, but a lot of people hated the fat forearm, so I've seen a number of nicely reshaped forearms on guns that should have been fatter forearms. One 1940 vintage 39a that a friend owns has such a change, and it's so good, it's tough to tell it's not original. I looked it over pretty close, before I found enough things to make me believe it was reshaped.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
OK, I stand to be corrected. Yet something else about vintage Marlins I did not know and glad to learn.

By the way fiddlestick, what's the general condition of your rifle, especially the bore? Most likely you did really well at $160.

SS

·
Registered
736 Posts
sidespin,

I found a gun you might like. It's a Marlin 36-A-DL in 30-30 caliber. I seem to remember you saying that you would some day like to get an 'A'. I don't mean to tempt you. ;)

Live well

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sidespin
My 1954 Rc has a straight stock and no frills . But it has a ballard cut bore that will shoot lot better than the newer 336 /35 .
Besides the good groups , this rifle is as smooth as butter.
On the negative side comparing it to the newer Marlins , I find myself some what disappointed with the new , so I would be quick to grab a older Marlin.
Happy

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 1948 vintage SC. It has no grip cap at all, a fat forearm and Ballard style rifling. Its very accurate and the action is buttery smooth. With just a Williams peep sight on it I have hit targets at just past 300 yards. Last week while hunting in the desert with my son I shot a coyote with is at 75+ yards: a one shot kill with the bullet going right where I aimed - the base of the throat, going through the spine. I haven't seen a newer model 336 that I would prefer over an SC or RC in good shape.

MadDog

·
Registered
394 Posts
My 1952 336RC had a fat forearm, no grip cap, and a white spacer. Grampa bought it new and did not change anything. Both of my 1950 SC models had fat forearms, white spacers and no grip caps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
MadDog said:
I have a 1948 vintage SC. It has no grip cap at all, a fat forearm and Ballard style rifling. Its very accurate and the action is buttery smooth. With just a Williams peep sight on it I have hit targets at just past 300 yards. Last week while hunting in the desert with my son I shot a coyote with is at 75+ yards: a one shot kill with the bullet going right where I aimed - the base of the throat, going through the spine. I haven't seen a newer model 336 that I would prefer over an SC or RC in good shape.

MadDog
Would it be grand if you could buy a rifle NEW like the ones we have . :D
I have looked at the new rifles and they do not compare . I do not think too much of the generios bores and the speed bumps one now incounters in the new levers. After buying the RC used a few years ago , I use the rifle for the standard I will accept for a new rifle . So far ,I am disappointed with them all. If I ever run accross another Marlin of this vintage I will grab it quick , like I did with the RC.I paid a good dollar for this rifle, the price of a new one, and it is worth every cent.
If Marlin would do something with the barrels, more true to bore size , Iwould be willing to pay the bucks they want for them here in Canada. Right now. :( I will pass.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Happy,
I completely agree. Although I picked up a Guide Gun awhile back, it still doesn't compare to my Sport Carbine or the Regular Carbines I've seen. I guess I'll take a wad of cash with me to the next gun show. I'll be on the lookout for a Marlin Texan or an RC in the late 40'd to mid-fifties vinatge.

BTW, some time back I read a post from an Indian living way up in your Territories, saying he and his father and grandfather have been using Marlin 30-30's for decades on even the largest game up there. He was saying he couldn't understand the American fascination with more and more velocity on rifles.

A gunsmith I just met here in Arizona just told me a story about how when he was a teenager he hunted deer in Kansas with a Marlin Marauder that belonged to his uncle. He said one year while hunting with his dad he made a one-shot kill of a 5 point buck at a distanve his father paced off at 280 long paces.

Sorry to ramble on. How are the gun laws where you live in Canada?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts