Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, I picked up a 1963 model 336RC in 30-30 win. that I intend to have chambered to the 30-30 Ackley Improved. I'm looking for a recommendation of someone to do the re-chambering. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is an easy conversion. If you have the reamer, all it takes is to remove the all the internal receiver parts and the buttstock, put a reamer extension with a "T" handle on the reamer, lube it well with sulphur based cutting oil and hand ream the chamber cutting about a 1/16" at a time and cleaning the chips from the chamber and reamer each time, relubing the reamer and repeat. The chamber mouth has to be coated with some kind of layout coloring (blue) and at the first sign of scratching that layout blue, STOP. Take a 1/4" wood dowell about 12" long, cut a one inch slot lengthwise from one end with a hacksaw, put about a two inch by one inch piece of 200 grit abrasive cloth lubed with cutting oil and carefully polish the chamber using a drill motor. Clean the barrel and chamber out, reassemble and shoot a regular .303-30 in it. Out comes a .30-30 AI. I have done this conversion three times with complete success. I have the reamer and would lend it to you if you wish to do so. I live in Florida and would do the job for you if you could get the rifle to me legally, I have no FFL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts