Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 336er in 356 a few months back.
The rifle is in ok shape but has some wear on the blueing the stock is pretty good shape. I know this gun is a pretty good collector, but I usually don't get rid of any of the lever guns i get. Should i have it reblued or what?

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Mornin, JF -

Tough call - And a question like that will draw all sorts of answers.....You will have some folks who absolutely don't like to refinish, and just enjoy the present condition of the gun as it adds to it's history, and others who wouldn't think twice about fixin' her up. Here's my two cents - and that's about all it's worth............

Generally speaking, I don't hesitate too long before deciding to refinish - I like 'em lookin like they did in their prime, so I would tend to refinish. With a rifle such as the 336ER, that are pretty heavily sought after, you have to cross a few extra hurdles - will refinishing kill collector value, will it hurt market value?. Basically, I look at it this way - Collectors rarely go for a refinished, or even restored gun as hard as they would one in original condition, so yes, it would probably kill collector value. However, this rifle is also used quite a bit as a fine hunting gun, and will always be sought after to be used, not necessarily collected.

Bottom line - If you think you can refinish it and it still be worth what you paid for it, by all means, do it. I'd much rather hunt with a gun that looks nice than an ugly one. Personally, I'd rather get a refinished one, provided it had been done right, than a beater....

Shum8

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you do decide to refinish (a major sin) try lifting the old blue by soaking it in vinigar, this will keep the lettering from disapearing from taking it down to white. I have not yet tried it but was told you can watch the blueing coming out as it lays in the vinegar. (I heard about this either on this site or Beartooth bullets, can't remember which.)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have yet to see a reblue that looks as good to me as the original. I have seen some firearms reblued so well it could barely be noticed, but blue jobs like that are expensive.

I did a cold blue on a Marlin .22 mag that looked pretty good, but it hasn't been very durable. However the owner of the gun constantly brags on it.

It's your gun, do with it what you will and enjoy it to the fullest!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
One option most folks don't seem to know about, is that you can send it back to Marlin. They do a bang up job for what I have heard is a very reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
JFrank,
Listen to Dr. A.......If you want it refinished and done right, then send it back to us at Marlin and get it done RIGHT!
When its returned to you, it will look just like new. I think the cost is less than $150.00
Marlin will also go thru the action replacing worn parts assemble it with new screws and re-breech it during assembly. You can't get all that at "Joes Rebluing"

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tomray is right about sending it back to Marlin. I inherited my father's 1962 Browning Sweet 16 shotgun and decided to restore it. I sent it to Midwest Gun Works, who does restoration work for Browning, Winchester, and a few others. It looks like new and you cannot tell that it has been restored.

Bottom line, if you are going to restore it, do it right.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have a 336SC that I want to get sent back to Marlin to get reblued. I caled and they said no problem. I believe it was around 120.00 but Marlin would be the way to go.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tomray, I have a flattop that has about 60% of the blue left, some pitting, and the name, address, and driver's license number of the previous owner engraved on the left side of the receiver, courtesy of one of those hand-held electric pencils. Would Marlin tackle that from a restoration standpoint?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
12 gaugeman,

Re: your "signed/engraved" rifle. Call Marlin and explain your problem ,and I feel sure they will restore it to original condition.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
49 Posts
336 ER?

Take a look at the muzzel of your Marlin 336 ER .356 and tell me if is a "microove-barrel" or does it have only 7 grooves and 6 lands?
thanks,
spurgon

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Spurgonmalinois (heck of a name),

I know what you are referring to. It appears to be land and groove, not microgroove. Don't know what to make of it.

SS

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Sidespin,

Theres a thread on Leverguns right now with an er without microgroove rifling. Does yours say microgroove on it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts