Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I just couldn't get used to a 4x scope on my 35 Rem. I surfed EBay until I found a deal on a nice 2-7 scope. Found a nice one for $140 delivered. Here she is mounted up. It's a Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution. Optics are nice and clear. I much prefer the ability to us 2x. I can't wait to sight it in.

This last pic is the 4x scope I used last year. Nice and compact but I just could get used to 4x

·
Registered
970 Posts
Great looking Texan with a beautiful scope! And I need to compliment you on your photography. Too many pictures show up here with all kinds of clutter that distracts from subject. Think about it..... Who would take a picture of Catherine Zeta Jones in front of a garbage truck? Yeah, some guys will do just about anything.....:shot:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Question, why did you not like the 4x? I'm finding with my crappy eyesight (and it is crappy) I'm finding myself wanting the 4x12x40mm type optics over the lower or fixed powers.

Just curious,
M

Reactions: mattusmc

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I have a 1960s Leupold M8 4X scope on my 1964 Sears Model 45 in 35 Rem--great set-up for me in the woods. For when I need to reach out and touch something--I have the same Redfield Revolution 2-7X on my 308MX. Both scopes work well for me in different hunting situations.

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun
Gun Air gun

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question, why did you not like the 4x? I'm finding with my crappy eyesight (and it is crappy) I'm finding myself wanting the 4x12x40mm type optics over the lower or fixed powers.

Just curious,
M
I like the idea of a fixed power small compact scope. That's why I decided to try the one in that last picture. My problem was that because of the ground I hunt, mostly in Northern NY and VT, I felt like I couldn't get game in the scope as quickly as I could with the Nikon 2-7x32 on my 35XLR. I would hunt with that gun set on 2x mostly, and rarely turn it up to 3x, but NEVER put it on 4x. Because of this I rarely grabbed the 336D, the 4x scope just always seemed like too much magnification for me. Almost all my shots are under 75 yards and the 2x works so much better for me for the brush hunting I mostly do. I thought I would like the small scope, but I prefer the lower power more than the compact size.
Sorry that's a little long winded but hope you get what I'm saying.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great looking Texan with a beautiful scope! And I need to compliment you on your photography. Too many pictures show up here with all kinds of clutter that distracts from subject. Think about it..... Who would take a picture of Catherine Zeta Jones in front of a garbage truck? Yeah, some guys will do just about anything.....:shot:
Thanks for the compliment on my photography:)

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
The Redfield Revolution line is made by Leupold in the US. Basically it is the same scope as the Leupold VX-1 series--just in matte. Same Leupold guarantee too--what's not to like?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Redfield Revolution line is made by Leupold in the US. Basically it is the same scope as the Leupold VX-1 series--just in matte. Same Leupold guarantee too--what's not to like?
I like it a lot. Better than the Nikons and I like the Nikons a lot too.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I like it a lot. Better than the Nikons and I like the Nikons a lot too.
I have the 3-9X40mm Revolution Model on my Rem 700 30-06 and Rem 750 308 Win--can't beat the price and quality. I wish Redfield would come out with a 1.5-4.5X Model in the Revolution line.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
was the 4x a nikon ? if not what brand is it ?
The Nikon 2-7x32 on my XLR is pictured below. I just realized the Redfield is advertised as a 2-7x33 too. Anyway Sorry for the dark pic. The 4x scope I took off was a scope I found at Dicks sporting goods. The brand was "field and stream" I believe. It was only about a $55-60 scope, but I liked how compact it was compared to the others I'd seen. The Nikon and Redfield are much better quality.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
That 35 is my dream gun. No Texans at all in my part of the world. When I find mine it will wear a ghost ring set up just like my pistol grip 35. I am a big fan of the 2 x 7 also. I just put one by Nikon on a Whelen I traded for.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Sweet rifle!! I call first dibs if you get a hankerin' to trade or sell! Ha!

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
I call dibs on the 336XLR in 35 Rem! LOL! Been looking for one of those for quite awhile. Always find one right AFTER I just bought a Marlin and am tapped out! Don't worry--I won't cut it--I like those long barreled beauties! That XLR is the descendant of my '73 336A in 35 Rem.

Gun Rifle Air gun Shooting sport Benchrest shooting

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
After hearing so many great remarks on the Redfield Revolution 2-7X33mm I thought I'd try one. I couldn't be happier with this scope I mounted on my 2007 JM 308MX. In every aspect it is a great scope for the money.

Jack

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
The Nikon 2-7x32 on my XLR is pictured below. I just realized the Redfield is advertised as a 2-7x33 too. Anyway Sorry for the dark pic. The 4x scope I took off was a scope I found at Dicks sporting goods. The brand was "field and stream" I believe. It was only about a $55-60 scope, but I liked how compact it was compared to the others I'd seen. The Nikon and Redfield are much better quality.

I have had good luck with the Bushnell Banner scopes that I bought from Dick's years ago (3-9X and 2-7X). I have never tried the Field & Stream line that I have seen there. Sounds like they are a step or two under the Bushnell Banner series.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have had good luck with the Bushnell Banner scopes that I bought from Dick's years ago (3-9X and 2-7X). I have never tried the Field & Stream line that I have seen there. Sounds like they are a step or two under the Bushnell Banner series.
I wouldn't buy another of those Field and Stream scopes. I knew I was taking a chance when it was cheaper but I thought I'd like the size. It now resides on my Marlin 39AS. Seems like a good fit on that gun, as most of the game I hunt with that are just squierrels.
I've heard good things about the Bushnell Banner scopes too. I was watching a few of them on Ebay while doing my search. My hunting pal swayed me to focus on the Revolution scopes and I am glad he did so far.
I like the shorty 336D, but I also like the 336XLR. The XLR has been my go to gun for the past 2 hunting seasons mostly. I doubt I'd ever cut it either. Especially since I have the other two 35's with the shorter barrell options.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.