Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've had my 336BL for about 3 months now and I'm becomming less and less of a fan of the stock sights. I was wondering what replacement sights are out there and how difficult is it to replace them? I've tried to do the research on my own, but reviews for every sight I come upon have mixed reviews, mostly from the sights not fitting properly. It would probably be easier to just mount a scope, but I like iron sights on my lever guns for some reason or another.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Welcome to the MO Family from here in west central Mo. As to your question, a little more information would help. What do you want to use your Marlin for, plinking, hunting or both? Also will you be shooting at short range, less tahn 100 yards or will longer shots be the norm. How is your eyesight, if glasses are needed peep sights or scope will work, if you have catracts then a scope will be better for you. Should you want peeps, then Skinners are about as good as it gets. Please give us some more details to help you choose what sights to go for. Take care, John.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the MO Family from here in west central Mo. As to your question, a little more information would help. What do you want to use your Marlin for, plinking, hunting or both? Also will you be shooting at short range, less tahn 100 yards or will longer shots be the norm. How is your eyesight, if glasses are needed peep sights or scope will work, if you have catracts then a scope will be better for you. Should you want peeps, then Skinners are about as good as it gets. Please give us some more details to help you choose what sights to go for. Take care, John.
I will be using it for plinking most of the time, as you can only hunt with pistol-cartridge rifles in this state. I would have to say that the max yardage available for me to shoot is about 200 yards, and my eyesight is just fine. The Skinners do look amazing, but again the price matches the quality.

Right now I'm just looking for any and all sights available, given they actually fit properly (most significant problem in reviews for 336 sights online that I've seen.)

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Those all look amazing, but are outside of my budget at the moment. Is that all that's available and fits correctly?
Sorry you have such a small budget. You need to save up and buy a good set of these sights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry you have such a small budget. You need to save up and buy a good set of these sights.
Thanks for that helpful post. I know there are cheaper alternatives considering the Skinner sights are ~$90+S&H for the cheapest front and rear, and I've seen other sights but they don't have enough reviews to form an opinion. I could get nice night sights for about that for other firearms.
What is your budget if the Skinner's are out of it on the high side? Knowing how much you want to spend may help.
I don't really have a budget, but I do like to know all of my options before forking out for something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK, then; how about a Skinner Lo-pro for $37 and a new front sight just in case at $14= $51 + shipping and you're in to a good peep sight setup for $60........not sure where the $90 for the cheapest came from. I hope you find what you're looking for.

I have one of their barrel mounts on an older Winchester 94 and it works well and is a very nice improvement over the factory "V" style sight. You might look at those from Skinner, too. Might not even need a new front sight and you may spend even less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, then; how about a Skinner Lo-pro for $37 and a new front sight just in case at $14= $51 + shipping and you're in to a good peep sight setup for $60........not sure where the $90 for the cheapest came from. I hope you find what you're looking for.

I have one of their barrel mounts on an older Winchester 94 and it works well and is a very nice improvement over the factory "V" style sight. You might look at those from Skinner, too. Might not even need a new front sight and you may spend even less.
I was looking at the "Marlin 1895 & 336 Sight" category because I figured that's where the 336 sights would be. Thanks for pointing out the Lo-Pro sights, I can now add that to my list of possible choices!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts