Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 336A DL in 30-30 that is in real nice shape and hasn't been altered from the way it came out of the factory. I want to keep it that way. I want to shoot it with the factory open sights.

With only one range session under my belt I am a little dissappointed. Using a standard handload (170 gr FN ahead of 30 gr. of IMR3031) it shoots a good 6" high at 100 yds.

A friend here says all the old(er) leverguns shoot high even with sights set on lowest notch. He says most come down to zero out around 250 - 300 yds. His advice was, "Just live with it."

I could work up a "reduced" handload that would come down to 100 yd. zero but figure I would also lose lots of energy, too. That's not good news since I would like to hunt deer with it.

Other ideas? I really don't want to install different sights on this fine old classic. :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
WyoStillhunter said:
I recently bought a 336A DL in 30-30 that is in real nice shape and hasn't been altered from the way it came out of the factory. I want to keep it that way. I want to shoot it with the factory open sights.

With only one range session under my belt I am a little dissappointed. Using a standard handload (170 gr FN ahead of 30 gr. of IMR3031) it shoots a good 6" high at 100 yds.

A friend here says all the old(er) leverguns shoot high even with sights set on lowest notch. He says most come down to zero out around 250 - 300 yds. His advice was, "Just live with it."

I could work up a "reduced" handload that would come down to 100 yd. zero but figure I would also lose lots of energy, too. That's not good news since I would like to hunt deer with it.

Other ideas? I really don't want to install different sights on this fine old classic. :(
Wy,

Ayup! Got one a coupla' weeks ago,,,,,,,lol, you should see what it does with my C113 Lee boolit, at 2300fps.

Answer; $13 weaver base and ring set from Wally World, and a Simmons
4x scope on sale at one of the local gunshops for $18+tax,,,,,
Interestingly a handload with a C180grainer over 20gr of Rx7 at about 1750fps is about right. Play with the loads, you'll get it!
Somethin' to do with long barrel and harmonics I reckin.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think I remember from the old Marlin Talk that folks were changing out the front blade to get the POI true to the rear sight. Seems that you would have to get a taller (higher) front sight blade. I am sure someone else will chime in on this one as it was discussed at length at times.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thoughts, men.

The simple solution is to put a higher front sight on it.

I was just hopin' not to tinker with it at all. It's just a nostalgia toy anyway so I really don't have to do anything.

But I'd love to take a deer or antelope with it just for grins.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree with 35 hunter. Lighter bullets usually shoot lower for me as well. Another idea is a little hotter load. The theory is that higher velocity decreases barrel dwell time and the bullet's reaction to recoil prior to exiting the barrel. Hey, it's a theory. It is proven true in my handguns. Of course, you could always use a higher front sight. ;) If you tell me the sight radius (distance between front and rear sights), I can tell you how much taller sight you need. Let us know how you make out, please.

Live well

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update from the range

Went to the range with my Dad (80 yrs. old), who is visiting from Missouri, to pass some time with informal shooting today.

I shot the 336A off sandbags at 200 yds. 3-shot group ran around 6" (didn't actually measure it) and was about 4" high and 4" left. Before we left I took three pokes at the 300 yd. steel plate which is about the size of a legal pad. With spot on elevation and holding on the right edge I hit it two out of three shots using sandbags and a bench. Load was 170 gr. Speer FN and 30 gr. of IMR 30-30.

Wow, I was impressed! Not by my own shooting but by the "lowly" Marlin 30-30. That old 1951 rifle is sighted dead on for 300 yards at the lowest setting of the factory open (rear) sight. A neighbor (State District judge and gun nut) had told me the older 30-30s were set up like this. Guess he is right.

Now if I can just get an antelope to stand exactly 300 yds. from a bench rest... :D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Check the reference material at the bottom of the forum lists and there are instructions to help determine the height of sight you need.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip, Sure-Shot. However, from the beginning I have hoped to leave this rifle in factory configurations...no tinkering, just shoot as is.

We'll see how that comes out. Time will tell. For now this is purely a "fun gun."

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
try slowing the velocity, that will bring the group lower. The nice thing about loading your own isyou can make adjustments!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts