Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. I finally picked up from my dad my late grandfather's hunting rifle - a 336A - and here it is. If I'm not mistaken, my grandfather purchased it new when he was 14, which would've been between 1948 and 1949 - just before he lied about his age to fight in Korea. This rifle has taken hundreds of deer - one supposedly from about 300 yards. It's my new pride and joy, as I'm sure members of this forum will understand.

At any rate, enough yappin' from me. Can anyone verify the year on this thing and let me know what the "JM" stamp means? 01 Rifle Profile.jpg 02 Action Profile.JPG 03 JM.JPG 04 Williams.JPG 05 Front Sight.jpg Also, a sense of its monetary worth would be nice. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I sell it... I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look under the lever....if the prefex is E, then it's 1948, F, 1949, G 1950....and so on...Hopes this helps...And Welcome from Colorado..
Thank you very much. It has a G under the receiver, so it's a 1950. I'll have to rethink its history now, but I really appreciate that tidbit.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Very nice rifle... I'd never sell it either. Enjoy... :biggrin:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice rifle, and the fact that it's a family heirloom makes it even better. The JM stamp is the proof mark used by Marlin until production was moved to the Remington plant.
JM stands for John Marlin, the founder of the company. Welcome to the forum, hope you like it here.

Regards

Reactions: rehenrick

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Herrick, thank you for your service for our Country.

Really nice rifle. I assume a 30-30? And I agree this is one you should never sell. This is what we call a waffle top, the receiver top is textured to reduce glare when sighting with irons. You have optics which tells me your grandfather, or someone, had it drilled and tapped to accommodate a scope. Makes it more functional by today's standards but compromises the value somewhat. Marlin began drilling and tapping in 1955.

I have one just like it, a 35, same year, drilled and tapped. It is truly one of my favorites.

How's the trigger? Are you going to keep the scope? You are going to hunt with it?

Ss

·
Super Moderator
23,908 Posts
I have never seen any 24 inch barreled 336As for sale locally. They are going for $450-$1000 depending on condition and caliber on the online gun sales sites. I have a '49 336A in 32 WSP and it is bolt action rifle accurate. I do not doubt the tale of your rifle taking a deer from 300 yards out. Very nice rifle!

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
First, welcome to Marlin Owners.

I consider your Grand Dad a learned man. I see he cut the scope base and mounted the Williams Receiver sight on it also. That is a good combo for back up sights.

If you are a man with good eyesight I would remove the scope and see how well you shoot it with the peep sight.

Though it does devalue them to drill and tap for a scope, this was a common thing for a man with a good deer rifle when his eyesight started going bad. My opine it does nothing to improve a tool you have to make it work better.

That being said, your 336A with it setup like you have will run in the $450 - $650 range all over this country.

If you decide to remove the iron sighter and put on low ring mounts, change out the scope to a shotgun scope with a small eye piece.

That way you can leave the peep where it's at, mount the scope far enough forward to eliminate interference with the hammer.

Which your hammer is a 45 degree hammer made prior to drilling and tapping so it was not necessary to have a hammer spur to clear a low mounted scope. The iron sighter takes care of that.

I bent the hammer on my 1949 336A to clear a low mount scope. They just don't make a good hammer spur for these older ones.

I don't like the spurs anyway that's why I recommend the long eye relief shot gun scopes that have other attributes as well.

Now for some other things about your 1950 336A, you have a one piece trigger this is good. You may have an extra notch under the butt stock to place the mainspring retainer in for lighter action cycling.

Your rifle does not have a cross bolt safety, neither does it have the trigger block safety. Making the half cock notch and you the only safeties with the gun.

Your grand father replace the original butt plate with the cushioned pad. Your stock appears to be birch, though I've seen walnut that light in color, but also appears to not have been refinished, evident of the still prominent wood around the receiver.

Congrats on a fine old rifle and make many more memories with it.

·
Super Moderator
26,339 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners rehenrick.

+1 to Swany's observations of your Grand Dad being a learned man.

It appears your questions have been answered. Just want to say I can relate on your sentiments. I have my grandfathers 1894 Winchester built in 1898 and cannot fathom the notion of selling it. It was handed down to my father and then to me. I plan on handing it down to my youngest daughter (31) who can't seem to keep her mitts off it.

Fine looking 336A you have there.

Jack

·
Registered
690 Posts
Welcome

There is something about inherited guns that makes my tummy tickle. I have two. Both are model 12 Winchesters. The 12 gauge was my fathers. I don't know if he intended for me to have it as my mother gave it to me after his passing. The 16 gauge was given to me by my Uncle while he was still living, an act of unconditional love IMO. That was 40 years ago and he is long since passed. I know he loved that shotgun. I hunted with the 16 for many years carrying it perhaps 100s of miles upland game hunting. At 74 years old I can't walk that much anymore so. After removing the plug I retired the 16 gauge to ground hog/porch duty. It is still in very good condition with never a speck of rust. As I gaze upon it leaning against a post on the porch I think of him remembering the times he and I spent hunting together. I miss him, his sense of humor and the hard hunter he was. I have his shotgun to remind me of those things.

Treasure your grandfathers rifle.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
That is a beautiful rifle!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
rehenrick...........thank you for your service and welcome to the forum. That is a nice old Marlin. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
10,700 Posts
Nice old Marlin. I believe the wood must have been replaced sometime in the 70's it appears to have the color used by marlin then. My 52 has a very dark oil finished walnut stock and the 55 I had was the same. But your wood looks like my 78 .35 in color and finish. It looks good on it though. Go forth and shoot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Nice old Marlin. I believe the wood must have been replaced sometime in the 70's it appears to have the color used by marlin then. My 52 has a very dark oil finished walnut stock and the 55 I had was the same. But your wood looks like my 78 .35 in color and finish. It looks good on it though. Go forth and shoot it and enjoy.
Dinna think so; no grip cap, and profile is that of an early gun. Appears to be the original wood refinished. Nice old rifle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I tend to agree with Galaxieman; the wood may be original but the wood finish is not (too shinney; definately has an aftermarket finish, as the standard stock finish on guns from this era is dull with no shine). Perhaps the wood was refinished when the recoil pad was added? At any rate the stock swivel stud and forend cap with swivel stud is certainly after-market, as swivel studs from this era were not standard on the 1950 vintage 336-A; only the ADL version.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice Rifle.

450 would be a nice find. 650 wouldn't surprise me, but I would let the next guy have it.

·
Premium Member
10,828 Posts
Very nice rifle and a great history. I love the peep sight also. The wood looks really nice for a 64 year old rifle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts