Marlin Firearms Forum banner

336A deluxe or not?

Tags
336 336a 336adl
6K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  detams181 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I have what I believe to be a 1948 336-A. S/N E 91XX. My question is the barrel says 336-----A------ but the stock and forearm are checkered.Is this original or how would I tell if not?I wasn't sure if all 336A deluxe models were marked?
Thanks in advance,

#2 ·
IIRC, mine is marked same as yours. Mine is a bit doggy, but underneath the scrapes, bumps, and dings, is nicer wood, checkering, and the tell tale super grade .swivil hangers.

#3 ·
that is a sign of being a deluxe as the standard models did not come checkered.The way to tell if the stocks are original to the gun ,is to pull them off.The stocks will be numbered to match the serial number of the gun.On the buttstock it is stamped where the wrist meets the reciever and same goes for the forestock.Not all the deluxes were barrel stamped as so.Good luck.

Reactions: jwise
#9 ·
Not looking to get rid of, I traded a chinese sks for this.I had a 30-30 when younger and don't have that gun anymore so I traded a buddy of mine for the 336A I should have photo above.I just love the lever actions and had to have one again. Sounds like I got a good deal :biggrin:.

#10 ·
Mike, good buy, but three years ago is "history" as Marlin prices go. Still there are deals to be had, where the sellers have not been made aware that Marlins, as we knew them, are also history. Jack

Reactions: rob42049
#11 · (Edited)
The way to positively ID an 336ADL is to pull the butt-stock and look for an "XX" stamp on the side of the top tang. Lots of Marlins were aftermarket checkered, and barrel stamps are unreliable; but having that "XX" factory stamp on the side of the top tang is positive proof that the gun is an actual ADL.

The gun you've pictured does not appear to be an original 336ADL; the checkering patterns are not original and are certainly not the standard ADL patterns, and the 1948 ADL did not have a pistol grip cap (that feature was not added until 1957-58). The shape of the pistol grip on this gun is not quite right; and the stock has either been reshaped in this area, or is a replacement that would accomodate a pistol grip cap. Also, Marlin never installed the front swivel stud thru the forend wood. There could be other differences; but without seeing the gun, a determination can't be make. Again, check for the "XX" stamp; who knows, the gun could be a reworked ADL?

#12 ·
I will say however,that I have never seen that design of checkering o the forestock of any deluxe marlin ive seen.Generally its always been an oblong triangle such as the pic posted by the other member here after your pic.Its possible it was not done at the factory.Also there is something not quite right about the pistol grip cap.Dont let this discourage you,you definitely got the better end of that trade,and I could absolutely be wrong.Maybe someone else can agree or disagree.

#14 ·
How involved is pulling the buttstock? I now have to figure out what I have:hmmmm:. And is there anything else I need to look for? it looks like the stock and forearm are matched, but could they have been switched out?I doubt they were the story I got was it was my buddy's Grandpa's.But he also told me the gun was 30yrs old too.

#15 ·
very simple.Take out the tang screw on the top and pull the stock straight off.Be careful not to tourqe the stock to much or you could chip the wood near the wrist.After many years of being on the gun,sometimes it takes some effort to pull it off.Or you could just leave it and not let it concern you.

#17 ·
thats what I thought .The forestock checkering just didnt add up.No problem ,you have a beautiful rifle there.Be careful putting that stock back on .Go easy so you dont chip it around the top tang.usually at the end,you have to give it a little thump to match up again.

Reactions: jwise
#19 ·
My opinion on what I have seen so far leads me to believe that your rifle is deluxe model with a swapped out forestock.The butt stock #'s match the gun and the checkering looks correct.Im going to go back and look at the buttstock pics again.

#24 ·
Well I certainly thank you deerhog:beerglass:. Now all I have to do is find some 30-30 ammo, and I plan on using this gun as it was intended, but plan on keeping it regardless of what it is :hmmmm:.Ohio as well as every other state I'm sure has noticed the ammo is scarce to find anymore for anything

#25 ·
Nice Vintage Marlin:congrats:
She's a Keeper for Sure.
Let us know how She Shoots.
UncleSarge58

#26 ·
Guys, you can wish in one hand and spit in the other; but unless your rifle has that factory "XX" tang stamp that indicates an ADL model, you still won't be able to make that rifle into a 336-ADL. What you do have is a vintage Marlin with some nice after-market mods from which you can derive great pride of ownership for longer than the aging process will allow you to ramble the woods. I don't don't have time to remove the stock from my ADL and make/post a photo of the "XX" ADL stamp (will do so when I can); but in the interim, pictures of that stamp have been posted to previous threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.