Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I generally feel I'm pretty up on Marlins but I have to admit, the one general area I have little interest in are the various stainless, laminated wood, big loops etc.

Well, my nephew contacted me asking about the 336XLR stainless, laminated guns. I started to tell him I only buy JM Marlins and then I was not even sure if the XLR's were made by Marlin or Remington. Started looking and it seems they are a Remington creation far as I can tell. I thought it was just the opposite and Marlin made them and Remington dropped them. Oh well.

Anyway, I need to verify the following... ARE there any JM XLR's? Also, what calibers are available? Is the XLR and the MXLR The same thing? Calibers were only 308 & 338 right?

I'd like to be able to get the info back to him as soon as possible. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Ok guys. I generally feel I'm pretty up on Marlins but I have to admit, the one general area I have little interest in are the various stainless, laminated wood, big loops etc.

Well, my nephew contacted me asking about the 336XLR stainless, laminated guns. I started to tell him I only buy JM Marlins and then I was not even sure if the XLR's were made by Marlin or Remington. Started looking and it seems they are a Remington creation far as I can tell. I thought it was just the opposite and Marlin made them and Remington dropped them. Oh well.

Anyway, I need to verify the following... ARE there any JM XLR's? Also, what calibers are available? Is the XLR and the MXLR The same thing? Calibers were only 308 & 338 right?

I'd like to be able to get the info back to him as soon as possible. Thanks
The 444XLR/45-70XLR/450MXLR/35 Rem XLR were made from around 2006-2009 and are JMs. The 30-30 XLR was made during that same time but I have seen Remlin 30-30 XLRs. I have NOT seen any of the other calibers made by Remlin---so far. The 308MXLR/338MXLR were made during that same 2006-2009 time frame but I have seen Remlin 308MXLRs. As with anything made by Marlin--there might be exceptions out there so treat this info as a guideline. BTW--I really love my 444XLR and 35 Rem XLR and will not be selling them anytime soon. The differences between the MXLRs and XLRs seem to be mostly in caliber but Tomray can give you further info on this--he has a lot of working knowledge concerning these models due to his years as a CT Marlin employee.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
What Ret Eng said...............Except fer me havin' knowledge about them..............I think I'm forgetting a lot of it, 'cuz I don't use it anymore .

The XLR's were a North Haven release, and I think I released all of them......I did NOT design them......

The XLR's were all 416R stainless with laminate stocks, and there were Blued versions of each caliber.............I recall those were marked MX.........

All XLR's/MX's were Ballard cut rifling, except the very early 35 Rems which were Micro Groove................At some point after I released them, some other Engineer changed the rifling to use the 357 broaches, and then they became Ballard cut, too..........I think that was just a process tool change probably directed by R&D that another Engineer did, and he never mentioned it to me.........I had no control of the build specs at that point, anyway............and I was doing other (Remington inspired) things at that time, too...........

I think Remington tried to build the XLR rifles, but they had so much trouble, they stopped, and only built basic blue 336's in basic calibers............Maybe later they resumed building XLR's ?.....I don't recall................

The 308XLR and the 338XLR were Vee threaded, while the 30-30 and 35 were square threaded................

I think the XLR series are fine rifles with extended reach, and probably a benefit to hunters that need that extended range.................I never felt I needed more range in VT, so I never acquired any of the newer offerings that could provide that.....I continue to put my money on a healthy loaded 35 Rem and the 356 Win 336ER............

Dave Bulla, If you, or your nephew have questions on the XLR's, just PM me, and I'll try to help out............

Tom

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
What Ret Eng said...............Except fer me havin' knowledge about them..............I think I'm forgetting a lot of it, 'cuz I don't use it anymore .

The XLR's were a North Haven release, and I think I released all of them......I did NOT design them......

The XLR's were all 416R stainless with laminate stocks, and there were Blued versions of each caliber.............I recall those were marked MXLR.........

All XLR's/MXLR's were Ballard cut rifling, except the very early 35 Rems which were Micro Groove................At some point after I released them, some other Engineer changed the rifling to use the 357 broaches, and then they became Ballard cut, too..........I think that was just a process tool change probably directed by R&D that another Engineer did, and he never mentioned it to me.........I had no control of the build specs at that point, anyway............and I was doing other (Remington inspired) things at that time, too...........

I think Remington tried to build the XLR rifles, but they had so much trouble, they stopped, and only built basic blue 336's in basic calibers............Maybe later they resumed building XLR's ?.....I don't recall................

The 308XLR and the 338XLR were Vee threaded, while the 30-30 and 35 were square threaded................

I think the XLR series are fine rifles with extended reach, and probably a benefit to hunters at need that extended range.................I never felt I needed more range in VT, so I acquired any of the newer offerings that could provide that.

Dave Bulla, If you, or your nephew have questions on the XLR's, just PM me and I'll try to help out............

Tom
You are correct about the MG in the 35 Rem XLR, Tom. My 35 Rem XLR has the MG rifling in it and its a 2007 model if I remember right----sure sucks to have CRS....

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My .35 XLR is microgroove. Without looking, I wanna' say it, too, was made in 2007. I shortified mine to 18"s from the receiver making it a hair over 19" barrel length. Mine really loves the Leverevolution ammo, giving sub one inch groups at 100 yds, with the short barrel. I love it, and it ain't going anywhere.

·
Registered
941 Posts
MODEL 336XLR
- .30-30 Win. or .35 Rem. cal., features stainless steel construction with 24 in. barrel, ballard rifling, fluted bolt, 5 shot mag., black/grey laminate stock with deluxe recoil pad, adj. folding semi-buckhorn rear sight, hammer block safety, 7 1/2 lbs. New 2006.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Turns out it was all for nothing. He's decided to get a Ruger no 1 in 35 Whelan.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Remington did make the 336 stainless XLR in 30-30, not sure if they made the blued version. Seen a number of them in person and piles of them on GunBroker.
The MXLR designation was used on the 1895 big bore offerings, not sure about the 444.
So the answer to your original question is, YES, there are both JM and Remington made 30-30 XLR's out there, in fact there are probably more Remington's than JM's.

I'm also not a huge fan of stainless lever's but I do have a few. I swapped mine over to brown laminate instead of the green. Mainly just personal taste, no other reason except the 450 had a damaged green buttstock which I couldn't find at that time, but I did find a brown set and liked it so much I eventually changed the 30-30 over as well. The only downside to the 30-30 swap was I used a Remlin stock set, but I do still have the original green if I ever get bored with the brown.
2007 JM 450MXLR on top, 2006 JM 30-30 XLR bottom.

Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Trigger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.