Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of a 336 with a Zane Grey barrel project I did. I got the barrel and mag tube from a fellow on the SASS Wire. I understand Numrich was selling some awhile back. I got the new wood from Numrich. A friend had a 336 that was not in a fire, but was "close" to a fire and the original wood was singed. He gave me the rifle for free. I had a gunsmith install the barrel and I did the rest. I have only shot it out to 100 yards so far. I plan to use it for Cowboy Long Range matches. I think it came out real nice.
http://s964.photobucket.com/albums/ae128/andycobbdds/Marlin336/

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try it now, I messed up the first time.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
That is very nice! Was the forearm hard to fit to the octagon barrel? What part numbers did you order from Numrich for the buttstock and forearm? That is really nice looking wood and the fit is perfect. What a great job you did on it!

-Bob George

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fitting the wood was not too hard, just took my time and sanded a little bit. I don't think the wood is still available, when I look on the Numrich site everything is "Sold Out". I just ordered a 336 pistol grip stock with buttplate and a checkered forearm. There are different length forearms, I don't remember which one I ordered. Thanks for the kind remarks. I love doing this kind of stuff.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Doc Fillem that's discusting ;D I tried to build a gun stock when I was in my 20's it was a club so...why don't you post a clunker ;D.
I can't draw a straight line with a strait edge and you done good.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That is really nice. Very nice wood.

Bruiser said:
That is very nice! Was the forearm hard to fit to the octagon barrel? What part numbers did you order from Numrich for the buttstock and forearm? That is really nice looking wood and the fit is perfect. What a great job you did on it!
The CB forarm will not fit. They are too short. I think I will try one from 308Mx it should fit with a little work.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
All I can say if I had any talent, that is the rifle I would build. 8)

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. I wish I could do stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
That is BEAU-TEE-FULL. You do good work. I have a project for this winter, I hope it turns out half as nice as yours.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
Good job. I have a 336 Zane Grey but yours looks much prettier. I was thing of getting another ZG barrel and have it reamed and re-bored to a 356W. You just gave my an idea and if I can find a gunsmith special 336 I might do the same with the 356w reaming and re-bore.

You mention "Cowboy Long Range matches" I always thought of my ZG as a Cowboy rifle. But was told Cowboy rifles don't have pistol grip stocks.

T ;) NY

·
Registered
429 Posts
That rifle is awesome. I have a Zane Grey, that I still have not fired, but your looks so much better. I want to do a cowboy project down the line and a put a laminated pistol grip stock on it, but for now I a very happy with what I have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts