Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Andy I emailed you last week after receiving my order, and haven't heard back. I ordered a winged front and rear sight. First question/problem I have is when I put the winged front sight on and tighten it down there is a sight rattle/vibration like it was not fitting tight to the barrel. Is this normal? I understand barrels variations may exist. I was able to take some rattle/vibration out by using the cellophane packing and shimming it between the winged front sight and the barrel. But is their any more permanent fix or fitting I should do? I am putting them on a 1970 35 Rem if that helps with your advise at all.

Second question is I ordered receiver plug screws for both my 35 and 30-30. I haven't tried the screws on my 30-30 yet but I put em in my 35 wile mounting the rear winged sights. The front one fits great the second from the front goes through and binds up the bolt and does not fit flush with the top of the receiver it is depressed below flus of the reciever. I tried a few different screw, just to make sure its wasn't just one bad one. What should I do about that? I thought about putting tape under the hole and blue lock tighting the plug screw flush than removing the tape after its dry.

Thanks

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
I can't and won't pretend to answer for Andy on the first issue but the second one is true of all Marlins. Try a dab of nail polish on the threads of the plug screw. While the polish is wet, screw it in until flush or just a smidge past and then let it dry. The forward most hole (barrel end) goes down into the barrel area so it has a hard stop but them middle ones are tapped all the way through.

The nail polish will likely hold them in place well enough but not be a bear to break them loose should you ever want to.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
My apologies, looks like I missed an email. I am not sure how but thank you for posting here. Generally email is the best way to get a hold of me but occasionally one slips through the cracks.

Sounds like the front sight screws are a smidgen too long for the holes in your barrel. If you feel comfortable filing a thread off the bottom, please do and try again. It works best to hold the screw on the end of an Allen wrench while working with It. Those holes are pretty shallow so go slow. Or, I can shorten some as short as possible for you.

It important to leave as many threads as possible since there are not many in those holes to begin with.

Also check to make sure the sight post is flush with the bottom of the sight.

Thanks Erik for the explanation about the plug screws. Appreciate the help!

Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks ill try filing them a bit, I really appreciate the help and ill let ya know if I have any problems or if i mess em up. yea i checked the sight post and actually raised it up just to make sure it wasn't bottoming out and keeping the sight off the barrel.

Also thanks Erik for the nail polish tip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Andy. I was able to file them front sight screws down and it snugged it right up. I cant thank ya enough. I am very please with the sights and the way they look. I just gotta find time to get out and shoot em.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Sounds perfect! Please let us know if we can be more help.

Andy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey Andy. I was able to file them front sight screws down and it snugged it right up. I cant thank ya enough. I am very please with the sights and the way they look. I just gotta find time to get out and shoot em.
Hey Red will you post a photo of your rifle? I'd really like to see the winged sights.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Tom i dont really know how to post pics to here but if ya Pm me your email or your number ill text ya some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts