Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and was hoping I could draw on your expertise.

I have a 336 Texan that had seen some hard use in the past, with damaged screw heads on nearly all screws, so I decided to order a bunch of new screws, a new extractor, new follower and follower spring, and give the old girl a bit of a refurbish. Well upon re-assembly, I realized that the lever would open about 0.5", and then hit a wall. I believe the locking bolt is not coming down far enough to release the lever, or something similar. I'm very new to the 336, so I wondered if I had re-assembled it incorrectly. The rifle functioned smoothly and flawlessly before I dis-assembled it, so I'm not sure what could be causing this. It seems like if I put lateral pressure on the lever to the left, I can sometimes get the lever to open all the way. Any tips or pointers? I'm not sure if the locking bolt is a custom grind-to-fit in each rifle, but mine has definitely been filed on before. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

The locking bolt is indeed a part that needs to be fit. It is what sets the headspace... There are also 2 screws that look very similar to each other that hold the trigger plate into the receiver... If you mix them up it will cause problems, The shorter one goes in the side and the longer one goes in the bottom...

This link goes to a thread for disassembly and re assembly of an 1895 but works for a 444 and 336 too... Have a look and maybe it will help...

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. So far I've done everything according to the linked threads, with the screws in the proper locations, etc. Can you think of any other reason the locking bolt would bind instead of sliding all the way down? If I remove that locking bolt, the action cycles perfectly. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Is it possible that the screws (even one) on the top of the receiver are turned in too far? They will contact the bolt if over tightened. The two trigger plate screws as mentioned above could do that too, if put back in the wrong holes.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. All the screws are in the correct locations, and I couldn't find any that were screwed in too far. The extractor is new, though. Here's a vid showing the behaviour:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Well if it worked fine before you fixed it, have you tried putting the old parts back in yet? Or, have you tried comparing the old parts to the new ones? It could help narrow down what could be causing the issue.

Reactions: marlin54

·
Read Only
488 Posts
Make sure the follower isn't extending too far into the action area. I'm not sure how that would happen, but if it did, it could cause problems with the lift arm that raises a shell up into the bolt path to be pushed into the chamber.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I did. The only thing I haven't replaced with the old part is the extractor. Not too excited about bending the new extractor out of shape by removing it.
The extractor may need some attention. According to the parts I have, it may require fitting:

Text Line Font Parallel

Text Font Line Parallel Document

·
Registered
19,701 Posts
???? Why would you have to bend the extractor out of shape to remove it? It will fall out once the lever is removed and the bolt is pulled out.
Are you confusing the extractor with the ejector? The extractor is on the bolt.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I did. The only thing I haven't replaced with the old part is the extractor. Not too excited about bending the new extractor out of shape by removing it.
Put a rag over it and push the extractor off with a pair of long nose pliers. Bit fiddly but it works for me. Has it been bent out to relieve pressure on the round coming up? Maybe a bit too much?.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Remove that side screw and see if it clears up. Check the screw for marks on the end of it.

Check the loading gate to see if it's loose.

Worse case you have a bent lever not allowing the hook to engage in the locking lug.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.