Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing to replace my stock on my 336 30-30 so that I can cut it down and add a butt plate to fit my wife properly. Before doing this does anyone sell a youth stock to fit a 336 or must I do as stated? I want to keep the original walnut stock, what are my options? and does anyone have a hardwood stock they could part with? HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
C'mon Rick - show us pictures of your upgrade ;D

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There was a 336 youth stock listed for sale on Gun Broker a couple of days ago with a starting bid of $25; that would be a great option for a wife.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You might get one from Marlin.......tell them you need a butt stock for a 336Y "Spikehorn". I don't recall the LOP but those stocks are much shorter than the standard 336 butt stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey There,
Not sure of your wife's size (height being the best indicator), but most people women or men can handle the standard 13 1/4" length of pull quite well. I "dabble" with shotgun fitting, which I understand is a little different animal than a rifle, but the standard pull may work very well for her. Has she fired it with a proper stance, etc?
Hoping to help some, and good luck!
Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife fell a few years back and fractured her shoulder. She is very small framed and has narrow shoulders. When she shoots level she has no problem but from her towerstand she is allways shooting over or under the mark. I noticed that she can only get her eye between 3.5 to 4 inches from the scope which will not give her a true window in the scope. It appears the stock is too long for her to hold the gun properly. I have tried to get her to move fwd but her shoulder and neck don't fit the stock properly. A shorter stock would correct this problem from what I am able to conclude about this senerio.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A scope with more eye relief may also solve the problem. They are often labeled as shotgun or slug gun scopes and are compact in size (perfect for 336). Here are a few reasonably priced ones:

Weaver 4x32 Classic Shotgun, 3.5" eye relief (discontinued model, great glass hard to beat for the price) http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE849421&prodTitle=Weaver%204x32%20Shotgun%20Scope%20Duplex%20Reticle%20Matte

Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=NK&prodID=NK6308&prodTitle=Nikon%20ProStaff%202-7X32%20Shotgun%20Hunter%20Riflescope%20NikoPlex%20Reticle%20Matte

Simmons 2-7-32 Prohunter http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=SN&prodID=SN517700&prodTitle=Simmons%202-7x32%20ProHunter%20Riflescope%20Truplex%20Reticle%20Matte

Not available from Natchez if you live in Tennessee, Georgia or Alabama. :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bronco,
If the stock fit is good when she is shooting on the horizontal, it is good when she's shooting below her feet as well. The difference? She's not bending at the waist to make the shot. In any long-gun shooting discipline one must bend at the waist to make a shot below their feet accurately. You can try this at home with a chair with no arms. Ask her to give it a try...I'll bet it will correct the problem.
Good Luck,
Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the great advise, I bought the youth stock off of gun brokers and I believe this will fix the problem, if not back to square 1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts