Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
New here ain'tcha? Only one answer is fitting...BOTH!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Im kinda new here with respect to posting. I have been lurking on this site for a while actually, I just don't post much. I expected no less that a hearty affirmation for BOTH...Tks!! ;D

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
The advice here is always free...WE love helping other spend their money! ;) I guess another way to say it is: Advice Free...but it'll cost ya ;D ;D ;) Mr fixit

·
Registered
274 Posts
"old models", "new on the shelf" (?)
pics please!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scoop10 said:
"old models", "new on the shelf" (?)
pics please!
Yeah, that does sound weird doesn't it? Let me explain. What I found are 2(aged inventory units still new on the shelf at the gun store) of the previously discontinued Marlin Spikehorns("old model"...with rubber recoil pad...pre Remington buy out) as opposed to the ones that just came out with this year under the designation of 336Y Compact. The ones I found are Marlins not "Remlins" as they seem to be not so affectionately called now :eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just remembered another question I had. Will the release of the "New" 336Y Compact hinder or further enhance the value of the discontinued Spikehorn? Now there's a can of worms to open...LOL

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
Personally, any Marlin built before Remington screwed them up is worth a heck of a lot more than the newer ones especially in Reliability. It's going to take so long for a new Marlin to become a sought after item .....they'll be outlawed! Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Howdy Ericb,

Ive been looking for an older model 336 Spikehorn for a lil while now.. if you buy both.. I'll buy one off of you ;D

Do they have walnut stocks?

I wanted to get one for my grandson and would really prefer a "real" Marlin.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I'm well aware of the problems that have been experienced with Ilion built Marlins, but not all of them have proved to be defective. We bought a 336Y for Marla from Ilion, and it is well built, and the fit, finish and functioning are just fine. The current problems just mean that one has to examine carefully any newly built Marlin before buying it. I do believe that Remington will eventually get it right and produce quality Marlins. It is just unfortunate how Remington management have handled the transition. They should have allowed a great deal more time for training the Ilion employees before moving the facilities to Ilion and focused much more attention on quality control issues at the new plant as well.

The two other Ilion built Marlins we have bought are of similar quality to the 336Y. We are happy with both of them also.

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
Yep, I agree with your comments Brian, hopefully Remington will get it right and it was a bonehead move to try and do what they did, They really needed MORE TIME for TRAINING. I've seen 2 new "Y"s one made by the blind man and the other a fairly good looking piece. I on the other hand was not in the gambling mood. Mr fixit

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
00buck said:
Howdy Ericb,

Ive been looking for an older model 336 Spikehorn for a lil while now.. if you buy both.. I'll buy one off of you ;D

Do they have walnut stocks?

I wanted to get one for my grandson and would really prefer a "real" Marlin.
Yes, they do have walnut stocks and nice looking ones at that. Their is a good chance that I am going to get both of them. If my girls aren't as hyped up about them as I am I will definitely let you know ;)

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Thanks Ericb :) let me know.. but I do hope your girls want them and get into the shooting sport too :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I hope to get the girls out to the range this week with some managed recoil ammo and see how they do 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts