Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a new (yeah I know the new ones are not cool and have no "mystery of history"...) 336. I've always been a Winchester fan but wanted the option of a top mount scope. I'm hoping to learn from you all two main things.

#1- How to gain a real appreciation for this Marlin rifle.

#2- How to set it up correctly to be the 'perfect' all-around hunting rifle for a guy in his fifties who does not see as well as he used to! :eek:

I'm looking forward to getting to know you'all and to transforming my sort of clubby and heavy 336 into a real all-purpose hunting rifle.

Oh, yeah, it's a 30-30. Not an impressive round, but I will also be asking in another post if anyone has found ways to improve performance through bullet choice and maybe pet handloads. I'd even consider paper patching, but finding a factory load that is always available and getting to know my rifle and how it shoots with that load under all circumstances is my goal.

todd

·
Banned
68 Posts
Todd-

For a factory load, the Hornady LeverEvolution works great and is readily available if you don't load.

To see better, personally I like either the Skinner or XS sights. I like to not scope them but that is also a possibility for you if you don't want a regular sight system.

I think you would love the Skinner or XS..... ( and they are right in line with your "Ghostring" name!)

Congrats on the new purchase...

have a feeling it won't be the last!!

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
The perfect all around hunting 30-30. (My version anyway)

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
ghostring said:
Hey all,

I have a new (yeah I know the new ones are not cool and have no "mystery of history"...) 336. I've always been a Winchester fan but wanted the option of a top mount scope. I'm hoping to learn from you all two main things.

#1- How to gain a real appreciation for this Marlin rifle.

#2- How to set it up correctly to be the 'perfect' all-around hunting rifle for a guy in his fifties who does not see as well as he used to! :eek:

I'm looking forward to getting to know you'all and to transforming my sort of clubby and heavy 336 into a real all-purpose hunting rifle.

Oh, yeah, it's a 30-30. Not an impressive round, but I will also be asking in another post if anyone has found ways to improve performance through bullet choice and maybe pet handloads. I'd even consider paper patching, but finding a factory load that is always available and getting to know my rifle and how it shoots with that load under all circumstances is my goal.

todd
30-30 not impressive ??? There's nothing, maybe except a a grizzly, in this country that a 30-30 can't take down real quick.

And there's not much transforming a 336 into an all purpose hunting rifle.... it already is. Just add your choice of sights and you're ready to go ;)

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Welcome to MO's forums fellow Hoosier ;). I lived in IN all of my life until about 4-5 years ago, my wife and I decided to make a change and move out west. Like Scott said, you have a fine website.

As far as setting up your Marlin, I set my 336's with low mounted rings and a good 2-7x32mm scope if your eye sight calls for a scoped rifle. I usually use Weaver bases (63B) and medium Weaver Quad Lock rings for a good solid setup. I also prefer Bushnell 3200 elite scopes but there are lots of good choices out there. Others here will chime in and give you their opinions.

A visit to the reloading forum will get you a lot of great info on reloading for your Marlin.

bjm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All!

Here's a bit more info. I traded a very nice 1970's Winchester 94 for this Marlin so I could mount a scope on it. I still have a Winchester that was built in 1897 and purchased new by my archery mentor's family in that same year. It had been in his family ever since and he gave it to me about 10 years ago. The bear in my profile picture was taken with that old 30-30. So... That gun will remain scopeless and will remain in use. It deserves to be out in the field. I never want to be 'retired' from hunting, so I doubt that honorable old firearm wants to be retired either...

The Marlin I am hoping though to become my go-to rifle. I'm hoping for at least as good as 2" groups at 100 yards. Consistently. I'd like to see the scope when I mount the rifle with eyes closed then open them. I'd like the iron sights to be able to stay on the rifle as a back up sighting system, just in case.

That's why I'm torn on the see through mounts. I have a friend from Louisiana who has hunted with a 336 in 30-30 for over 20 years taking many hogs and deer. He ALWAYS uses a 4-power Weaver scope on see through scope mounts. He says, "Sure you have to lift your head up a bit to see through the scope, but it's only there if you need it."

I've always been a fan of peep sights too but I'm not sure I can mount those and a scope at the same time...

30-30 has taken box car loads of critters, I know. But when you study the different rounds available, it's just not that impressive. I WANT to like it. That's why I'm hoping that the folks on this forum will continue to share their stories of what they have done with the old 30-30.

I know it HAS taken lots of game, and that it CAN, but if a guy is going to make the decision to stick with that for his one gun from now on, he'd better be sure that it can do what he needs it to do. Reliably...

I think I even read that a very famous deer hunter by the name of Benoit?? uses a 30-30 but he admitted that he realized it was not the best deer cartridge, but he knew it well, knew its limitations, and worked within those limitations. That's what I'm hoping for. I've been seduced by Ruger's full stocked RSI and have been looking for one in .270, 7mm-08, or 7x57, but if I can get this Marlin tricked out and accurate, why would I buy another rifle. I'm trying to get into the old, "Beware the man with one rifle as he very well may know how to use it."

Thanks All!!! I appreciate the comments. Oh, thanks to for the kind words about my website. I'm no razzle dazzle web-developer, but I can make simple straightforward websites for folks who need one and don't want to spend the big bucks! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome to MO there Ghostring. First off, what makes you think the 30-30 IS NOT a capable round for anything in N.America? It's been killing things as large as moose and as tough as grizzly for many years. Sure it may require more than 1 shot, but DEAD is DEAD. It might not be as speedy as a hot, handloaded 22-250, which you have spent years perfecting, nor as robust as a Weatherby magnum, that cost more than 6 boxes of 30-30 ammo for. I've never purchased Hornady LeverRevolution ammo, and I've heard it's good, but I just can't walk into a Mom/Pop store and purchase it either. I have to drive 70 plus miles to even see a box of it. I keep my ammo from off the shelf, so if I go on a hunt and happen to of forgotten it, it's easy to just walk into just about any store nationwide and get the same ammo that the rifle likes. Just purchase a few different boxes of ammo makes/bullet grains, and let the rifle tell you what it likes. After that, all you have to do is pull the trigger and take your prize home. As to using a scope, don't be ashamed you need one as there's many of us here who's eye sight isn't what it used to be, and how slim/trim or pretty you need to make your rifle. It's your choice in that you need it as your tool---not someone else. Myself, I use 1-piece bases(Weaver and Leupold) with Weaver Quad-Lock rings and Burris(3-9x40) scopes on my 30-30 and 44mag and I don't think they distract from the rifle's appearance one bit. Besides, here in Missouri, if you shoot a buck, IT HAS TO HAVE 4 tines on one antler, so unless it's within 50yds, you need higher power to count real fast before pulling the trigger whether you hunt brush or open fields.
Del

·
Registered
527 Posts
IMHO the best way to set up the .30 WCF is with a good quality 2-7x32mm scope in low rings andzeroed for 150yd. I set up my 336A in this way with a Bushnell 3200 series scope and love it. I generally leave the scope set at 4X but if I'm in thick woods it gets turned dwon to 2X. It is surprisingly quick to get on target when set at 2X, quicker than the un-initiated would think. As for the .30WCF not being an impressive cartridge I'm not so sure about that, just ask those that Tom Horn turned his .30WCF on if you can.

As a youngster I too used to look down my nose at the grand ol' .30WCF. However I eventualy saw the light and have been using my 336A as my primary hunting arm for a long time now. It sure did seem to impress the heck out of the doe I shot a few years back out at 140yd, as well as the other deer I've taken with it. With 150gr Fed Fusion or 150gr Win PP ammo I consistently get 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, and some just under that. My 336A along with my 1894SS .44 have also made me a better well rounded hunter, better than I ever was when I was toting my 7mm RM around the deer woods. The .30WCF will do whatever I ask of it as long as I can live up to my end and put a bullet where it belongs during the moment of truth.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Me I like open sights,but I can still see well at 48. To me they do look better,and carry better. But thats just me. I never put down anybody that does,unless we are kidding around.Ive killed a ton of deer with both sights on levers. If I were useing a scope Id mount it as low as I could get it.I do that with everthing and it works for me. Im old school as they come and like the old scopes like the weaver Ks and such.The 30-30 is a heck of a round,bet that bear thought so ;D I killed 9 deer with 10 shots with a borrowed 30-30 one year.It had the old K3 weaver on it.Dont worry about that rifle being feild ready,she came from the factory,willing and able. Just shoot enough to know it and your all set. Wish ya luck with it and your hunting. Gunrunner,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again all,

This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

I'll start another thread soon about the 30-30 round. I'm very interested in specific experiences folks have had on specific animals.

I was lucky on that bear. Hit it in the neck and it dropped. That made me a believer in the neck shot, but, I had been aiming a bit lower and it was only about 25 yards away. We were both on the ground.

That made me realize that I need to be able to put that bullet right where I want it. If I take the neck shot, I have a very small margin or error. It has to be right on the money...

Before I went on the hunt I read all the books I could find and researched all over the Internet. Hardly anyone who actually had experience shooting big game with 30-30's suggested its use for black bear. I have an old book by Col. Ned Roberts, of .257 Roberts fame, and even he suggested against using the 30-30 for black bear.

So again, I WANT to hear good things about the round. I WANT to have folks share their experiences good and bad.

I'd be happy to post a pic, but since it was built in 2007, it probably looks exactly like all the current pics out there for new ones.

BTW - When did Remington get involved? After 2007 I hope! ;D

todd

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
ghostring, theres a thread,Im pretty sure its on 336. Thats asking for the biggest bucks you have killed with the 30-30. Its pretty cool. Take care Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gunrunner,

That long barreled version looks sweet! I see I have a lot to learn regarding Marlins!

todd

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Lately, I have been liking scopes in the 2 - 7 X 32 flavor, both the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Redfield. Both are excellent, and you just can't beat the Leupold warranty that comes with the Redfield. For mounts I like the Weaver 63B with medium Weaver Quad-Lock rings.

My only experience hunting with a .30-30 came years ago when I used a Winchester 94 with a Williams 5D aperture sight while still hunting. My eyes were a lot sharper then; now a scope is a requirement for me. Several deer fell to that combination, one shot for each in the boiler room. I've hunted with a number of different cartridges, but now I feel most comfortable with a lever gun, only my absolute favorite cartridge these days is the .35 Remington, but I sure wouldn't feel undergunned with a .30-30.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
ghostring,that pic was taken today,I was at Dads checking on his place,and shooting my 35s,getting ready for the postal match. Dont want to let Brian down ;) But if I do,its not going to be from not shooting enough. My shoulders a little sore ;D Theres alot of knowledgeable people on here,And Brians one of em. Gunrunner,, Team 35

·
Registered
71 Posts
ghostring
i have been hunting with a 30-30 for years. until about 8 years ago with a mdl 94 win, now a 336a 30-30 and i catch poop from the same 5 guys i have hunted with for years. they all use 300 win mag, 7mm mag etc. i too had sight changes that would not allow vewing both sights and target at same time. had to get scope.
last year a shot a mule deer at just over 200 yds that took out heart and passed thru--cant ask for anything better. i always have a whole deer to take home also, not 3/4th of one. i also use it to hunt elk in the woods of western oregon. have never lost one yet.
i did buy a 338mx to hunt eastern part of state where shots are usually much longer, but shot one at 40 yds with it.
when used within its limits ( 200 yds in ) and bullet is placed where it belongs, the 30-30 is all the gun you need.
nailer

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
If you want a scope,thats how it should look. Low down and mean,Just like me ;D good job Gunner,, Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1895Gunner,

That front bell looks like it's touching the iron sights.

I like the idea of the scope as low as possible for a more natural mount and shoot process.

Low down and mean... I like it!

todd

1 - 20 of 24 Posts