Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I am new to the club but I have something to share. I just bought a 336 sc .35 rem. It was made in 1953 and still has case colours on the extractor. Mint throughout except pachmyer pad added to butt. The job was clean and well done though. Can't wait to shoot it. By the way it cost about 400.00 Canadian. I think I did well.

Darryl Up North

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome to the .35 Rem club. I have had two marlins chambered in it. The first was one of the best shooting rifles I have ever owned. One ragged hole at 50 if I didn't pull off. Sold that one like a fool in a fit of being broke while having a wife and daughter. The second I just bought and have yet to fire. Just cranked out some loads for it today. I have high expectations.

The 35 is a great round. Hope you enjoy yours.

Larry

·
Registered
736 Posts
larry,

Is that your brother, Darryl, or your other brother, Darryl? ;)

(sorry, I just COULD NOT resist)

Live well

·
Registered
356 Posts
BR - could not resist huh? Showing a little "sitcom" age?

You kow what is very interesting? Among the actors that constanlty support other leading actors - William Sanderson has been in at least two of Tom Sellecks flicks - Crossfire Trail and Monte Walsh.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Darryl - Welcome to the ".35 Rem" club. You are going to really enjoy that rifle!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Big Redhead said:
larry,

Is that your brother, Darryl, or your other brother, Darryl? ;)

(sorry, I just COULD NOT resist)

Live well
Thats my brother Darryl. My other brother Darryl has got a bit tetched with age. We don't allow him to play with guns anymore. He mostly just plays strange (even to us) games in the swamp now.

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Larry Darryl and Darryl

Well more Darryl and Darryl comments. Can't complain it does break the ice at social events. My .35 has the serial number stamped on the inner tang area of the stock is that common? I hunted with a .30-30 model 94 for years until my brother ( Duane not Darryl) bought a marlin 336 .35 3 years ago. Watching him have so much fun with that carbine finally convinced me. I kept my 94 though it was a gift from my dad. Our Ministry of Natural Resources (Ontario) is finally releasing extra anterless deer tags this fall. I hope to give the .35 a work out.

Be safe, Darryl Up North

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have never seen so many .35Rem lovers gathered in one place before. We might need to spread out a little in case the roof collapses. :wink:

Knowing that I'm being redundant, I must say again that the .35Rem is one of the best whitetail cartridges ever made, within 200 yards! You can bet that when I work that lever during whitetail rifle season, I'm chambering a .35 Remington cartridge!

I second that: "Welcome to the Club"!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Darryl,

I hope you're not offended by the LDD comment. If so, I apologize. It's just that OUR Larry has a picture of the original Larry from the BN show as his avitar, and...well, enough said.

Can't wait to try my 35 on deer. My grandpa had an old Remington model 41 in 35 Rem, among other cool guns. He sold them before he passed so I didn't have a chance to own the 35. I miss the man a lot.

My 35 is a Marlin 336SC made in 1950. It shoots well.

Speaking of 336SCs, I found another SC made in 1951 in 30-30 caliber. I don't know what year they started drilling the receiver at the factory for scope mounts, but this one has a scope on it. It also has sling swivels in the stocks. I don't have a 30-30...yet. ;)

Live well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.35 rem marlin 336 sc

No offence taken brother, it was nice to be welcomed into the club so fast. My sc was made in 53 and has no scope mount holes. This makes me feel that a previous owner had yours drilled and tapped. I had a .30-30 sc years ago and like a fool I traded off for another gun that I didn't like and traded anyway. I will be hanging onto this one. My partner at work has a 336 rc made in 52 also no scope mount holes. But you never can be sure alot of gun companies in the good old days would build a gun with any options you wanted it only took money. Think I will go shooting tomorrow I got to be back at work on Tuesday. take care Darryl

·
Banned
461 Posts
I recently bought a 336 in 35 Rem too. This is a strange creature though... I know the receiver is a prototype with the West German engraving on it, but the stock configuration is something that I've never seen before. Is this a Bishop stock? Got any clues?

·
Registered
736 Posts
marlin*man,

That's what happens when you let your Marlins fool around with your Weatherbys! ;) Nice looking gun though. Can you get your eye down into the irons with that high comb?

larry,

I used that word, "tetched" on the WIFE (145 LBS) yesterday. When she asked me for an explanation, the best I could do was read her the thread. :)

Live well

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hey Darryl,

I add my welcome to those already extended, we are certainly glad to have you on the board. Larry does a great job as monitor, cook, bottle washer and occasionally some helpful shooting and firearms data. A big thanks to Larry for all he does.

Hope you become a regular, Darryl. If you have knowlege of the 336 please share, if you have a little to learn this is the place to be.

While I have a lot of affection for the 30-30, I share your fondness for the .35. It is a great round, however I advocate keeping your target within 150 yards, especally with factory loads. Beyond this point there are too many "ifs" in my humble opinion.

Stay tuned and offer an opinion. We have a lot of shy guys here on the board, you just about have to pry their opinions out of them, especially Big Redhead (yeah right).

Hope to see you again real soon.

SS

·
Registered
479 Posts
Darryl, welcome, and yes you did just fine.
I have several Marlins in 35Rem and I find them just too nice looking to hunt with.
Certainly a great round right out of the box, but even more devastating when loaded to potential.
Use it well.

Marlin*Man, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you shell out for that Marlin ?

Ranger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts