Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Pre-Remington 336 in .30-30 from a local gun shop here in San Antonio. I noticed that the forend and the buttstock didn't match so I'm looking to replace them. I would like to get original factory replacements for it. I've looked around on the internet and found a couple of options but none of them were factory original. I'm hoping some of you marlin experts can recommend a place to buy some. Also... I'm looking for a scope to put on it and would like some advice as to what power and brand y'all have had luck with. Thanks in advance.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,410 Posts
Welcome From Alabama... I Would Post A Thread In the "Trading Post" forum. Put A (WTB) Want To Buy Add In The "Marlin Parts and Accesories Only"Section.

Beautiful...

·
Premium Member
15,404 Posts
Eli has the right idea on re-finishing what you have,
as far as scopes go, my preference is a good quality 2-7x
as my eyes get worse every year and the 2 to 4 power scopes just don't work for me very well any more

Reactions: Plano and GaCop

·
Registered
969 Posts
Please post some pics without the butt cuff. We can't see the mismatch in the wood. But your best bet is to do your own furniture refinishing. It isn't worth the expense for new stocks just to get back to factory original. But if you want to go "fancy" so that you smile every time you look at it, go here: www.treebonecarving.com/marlin-levergun-stocks.html. You'll need to do some work. And the quality is second to none.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bart, thanks for the advice, I'll check out the parts section. I think I'm gonna try to restore it like some of the other members suggested but if I can't I'll be sure to post a wtb.

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
Bart, thanks for the advice, I'll check out the parts section. I think I'm gonna try to restore it like some of the other members suggested but if I can't I'll be sure to post a wtb.
If you're unsure about taking it on, swing by a local gun shop and/or smith. They almost always have loose gun stocks out for sale and they're typically really cheap. Pick one up and practice on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everyone

Thank you everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. It's apparent that my best decision is to try to refinish it myself. I don't have much experience with wood working so I'm probably going to have to do some research on this site and some others but hopefully I can get it looking like new.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some more pictures without the butt cuff. My camera probably won't do it justice but the butt stock wood is noticeably lighter than the forend.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
betcha that will be a dead on match when you're done with it....

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I really don't mean to be critical, so please don't take it that way. What difference does it make if you leave that giant butt cuff in place. Two things: it hides the wood and sunlight will fade the front, but not the area covered with the cuff. It is just the way things go.

Reactions: Plano

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Nice wood. Retain the stock furniture as suggested above.
I'm in Ft Worth and have resurrected some real fence post stocks. Yours is not bad at all. Shoot me a PM and I'll share my experiences and perhaps steer you around some common pitfalls.... Like sand paper...
Most of the time I never touch it, even on the worst stocks!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't sand too much wood off where the fore-end fits into the receiver or where the barrel band goes around the fore-end. If you do you'll end up with a loose, sloppy, sloppy fitting forend that will tend to break barrel band screws and be a constant annoyance on your favorite rifle. Don't ask me how I know

Also, don't sand so much on the buttstock so that the butt plate doesn't fit flush with the wood.

Someday I hope to buy a factory original set of stock for my 336. Some day when I get some money and find some for sale.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
When I picked up a Model 36 that needed new wood I could have went that route and looked for original.

Then I advertised I needed it here in our trading post and got a nice butt stock.

I'll post some pics of the gun as bought, transition and modified.

Lot to be said for original.

But I prefer to make my Marlins the way I like them, that may not be original. For me it rarely is.

I started with this as a good deal on a chopped stock gun with the extra wood fore end. I like slim and have cut down every one I've had.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with Hill Country, a good quality 2-7x is the way to go, though 1-5/6x scopes are also a good choice. You need to compare a few side by side at your lgs to find the brand you like the best.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
yep strip and refinish. bet she will be better than you think. if your bent on new furniture . Look on ebay.

·
Registered
289 Posts

You will only have to refinish one or the other. I always do the lighter one to match the darker stock. Go carefully.

·
Banned
2,359 Posts
#1,i bet that butt stock is not original to that gun.Your for end could use some work as it has some good dings in it.I would strip using one on The Citric based strippers(Non toxic) and 0000 steel wool.It appears the butt stock is in good shape and I would not sand it at all.I would strip ,bleach and stain.I like to use Minwax stain with wood sealer in it.I use Mahogany as it gives the wood that nice Marlin red tinge.The forearm I would get busy sanding with some 120 grit sand paper on a rubber block down to 360 grit.When you get all the dents and scrapes off strip and bleach like the fore arm and stain.I personally like a Tung oil finish,but that is up to you.Good luck.OB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts