Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think a 30-30 would kick much but after 20 rounds through my newly acquired 1979 336 my shoulder started hurting. OK, I'm on the wrong side of 70 and riddled with arthritis and assorted other ills but able to absorb the blows of my SKS without flinching. I figure a 7.62x39 and 30-30 are comparable when it comes to recoil but the 336 kicks quite a bit more. The butt plate on the 336 is hard rubber, not exactly good for cushioning the blow so I suppose I can get a recoil pad. Any recommendations? Meanwhile I'm using a towel. No flaming, please. I'm an old guy with a fairly thick skin but would like to know if anyone else has a similar experience.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Since the sks is gas operated it will have less recoil. I like the looks of the Pachmayr F325 or F250 white line.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got a leather Butt cover made from one of the site sponsers and put a little electronic product shipping foam (thin) between the butt plate and the leather and it help quite a bit. It also seems that 170 gr. do not kick as much as 150 gr. but that may be in my head. Best of luck!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a kick-eez on my 336 and a limbsaver on my son's 336. I put it on mine when my son was using it, before he got his own, and left it on because it lengthened the stock. I'm 6'4" and my son is 6'2" and the additional length really helps.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Recoil is the product of bullet weight, powder weight, velocity, and weight of the gun. SKS are kind of heavy , lighter bullet, plus semi auto gas systems take some of the recoil out of the equation. Marlins are not really light but there is some recoil.

I'm 76 and suffer from some of the same maladies of getting older. Recoil did not used to bother me either, but over the last few years I have sold all my magnum rifles, and the .30-06 bolt guns are next. Truthfully, there is not much that I intend to do that a .243 with modern bullets will not do. So far the .30-30 doesn't bother me, but it could happen down the road.

Millions of Marlins were made. Unless you have a rare model such as a Marauder or OCTAGON, I say have a Pachmayer Decelerator put on it. Limb savers also work well, but I find they have a tendency to "grab" your clothing. Resist pre fit add ons, unless you need the extra length. I don't, and I wear a 35" sleeve in a dress shirt.

Do your best to make your shooting fun. At our age the joys of life become fewer and farther apart. I have just recently discovered fly fishing. The danger there is slipping on the rocks.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
465 Posts
Limbsaver and Pachmayr make nice pads.

Don't feel too bad OP, I agree that my 336 in 30-30 kicked more than I expected it to when I first got it, especially when shooting it from a bench position. I don't have any health issues and the recoil is certainly not painful or anything but simply more than I expected, as I was expecting almost nothing. I also notice that 170's kick a little more than 150's. I have a Browning BAR in 30-06 (heavy sucker, gas operated) and with 150 grain loads, it feels about the same as the 336 to me even though the charts say it kicks way more. Felt recoil is a subjective thing depending on a lot of things....the individual, stock fit, and lots of times people just don't hold the gun good and tight to their shoulders.

One way to reduce felt recoil is to fire off a few 3 inch turkey loads in a 12 gauge shotgun. Everything feels like a 22 compared to those SOB's! :D

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
There are many options including lighter loads, recoil pads, or recoil reducers. I have 13 pins in my right shoulder and was concerned about recoil from my 45-70 with heavy loads. I'm not recoil sensitive, but I really didn't want any more surgeries. I had two recoil reducers embedded in the stock and a permanent recoil pad added. You can't see the reducers and the pad looks much better and is much more stable than the slip-on pads. Good luck!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I didn't think a 30-30 would kick much but after 20 rounds through my newly acquired 1979 336 my shoulder started hurting. OK, I'm on the wrong side of 70 and riddled with arthritis and assorted other ills but able to absorb the blows of my SKS without flinching. I figure a 7.62x39 and 30-30 are comparable when it comes to recoil but the 336 kicks quite a bit more. The butt plate on the 336 is hard rubber, not exactly good for cushioning the blow so I suppose I can get a recoil pad. Any recommendations? Meanwhile I'm using a towel. No flaming, please. I'm an old guy with a fairly thick skin but would like to know if anyone else has a similar experience.
I only made it thru 13 rounds before I quit the 1st time. I bought a Limbsaver small/medium slip on recoil pad on Ebay for $23 shipped. OH, MY!!!!! It still kicks, but the pain is gone! :biggrin:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm 69 and feel the recoil as well. I tried several things, but settled on "The Kick Killer". It is about $40 and can be ordered from Cabelas. It is all leather and has some special medical grade foam in it that really works. It comes in 3 sizes and the X-tra Small just fits the Marlins.
I have 3 of them and really like the way they cushion the recoil, don't grab your clothing like the Limbsaver does, aren't expensive, can be removed easily, and look really good on the Marlin lever guns.
Or if you like do it yourself projects, I bought a used gun that had a homemade leather butt cover with some foam in it also. I took it off and used it to make a template and have since made a couple for other guns. If you are interested in that I can trace it off on paper and mail it to you.
Good luck with whatever you try.

IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0767.JPG IMG_1123.JPG

·
Registered
208 Posts
Limbsaver & Butler Creek both make a fairly inexpensive slip-on recoil pad. You would not have to alter the rifle just slip it on & off when needed! Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
317 Posts
You mentioned a towel but have you tried a shooting shirt/vest with a padded shoulder ? Hope you find something that helps.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Everyone has given some great suggestions for recoil pads so I will just mention that Remington also makes some of the managed recoil loads for the 30-30. They are a seasonal production run so they are hard to find right now but they should be coming out later this summer. I think that Midway expects them in July.
Centerfire Ammunition - Rifle Ammunition - Managed Recoil Ammunition

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts

Sounds like you're ready to step up to a 45-70:biggrin:

I had a 1in Pachmyer pad put on my 336/.35 a few years ago. Makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW I shoot a Zane Grey Century Model. This is a 336 with a 22 inch octagonal barrel and a crescent shaped brass butt plate -(No Recoil Pad !!!). I have noticed quite a difference in felt recoil with different factory loads. The Hornady Lever Evolution 160 grn FTX kicks pretty hard. For me, Federal 170 grn soft point rn is far more comfortable to shoot.

There are lots of factory loads to try. Hornady also makes a custome lite (less recoil) load in .30-30. I haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Hi OP, welcome to the MO Forum, and congrats on your new Marlin 336.

Lemme tell you something kinda weird. The very first time out with my 336, it like to knocked me backwards, and I ended up with a bruise on my shoulder for a coupla weeks. Well, I came inside, started reading MO, and strangely enough someone had started a thread about 30-30 recoil. If I recall correctly, those who thought the 30-30 has a lot of "kick" to it were generally subjected to ridicule, and their manhood was called into question and stuff like that.

Seriously, though, I learned from that thread that I was holding my rifle wrong. Next time out, I made sure that the butt pad was in the right spot on my shoulder, and that I had a good cheek weld. I held onto the forearm and pulled the rifle securely towards my shoulder.

Lo and behold, the felt recoil was almost gone, and was now completely manageable.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
P.A.S.T. Recoil Pad! Just Slip it On your Shoulder.
Really Helps when Shootin Off the Bench.
Shot 50rds of 170s "off the Bench" Last week & Zero Pain!
Plus ...It Doesn't Change the Look of your Rifle!
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
papabear, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but slipping on the rocks is NOT the only danger in fly fishing!!! Fly fishing can become an addiction just like Marlinitis, ask me how I know. I love my fly fishing gear just as much as my Marlins, both bring me much pleasure, just in different ways. Take care, John.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
P.A.S.T. Recoil Pad! Just Slip it On your Shoulder.
Really Helps when Shootin Off the Bench.
Shot 50rds of 170s "off the Bench" Last week & Zero Pain!
Plus ...It Doesn't Change the Look of your Rifle!
UncleSarge58
+1. I use the PAST Recoil Pad for all my shooting at the bench with my Marlins, up to and including my 444S. Works great, no alteration of the gun needed and never a bruise (and I bruise very easily.)

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
Yep, the hard rubber will begin to be felt after 20 rounds. You should try my very old 1894 Winchester in 32 Special that sports the old steel crescent butt plate. After 20 rounds your shoulder will be jello and rainbow colored. Not to mention more than a tad sore.

As mentioned, slip on recoil pads work very well and I use a Limbsaver slip on for a few of my Marlins. They work well and are $35.

For the old Winchester I had a leather butt cuff built for it and purchased some Limbsaver recoil pad sheets that you can cut to size, lined two layers into the leather butt cuff and presto! A fancy leather recoil pad that really works. The limbsaver recoil pad material cost me $20 if I recall correctly.

Below is my daughter shooting the Winchester and note the leather butt cuff. She can shoot it all day with no pain.

Jack

EDIT: You mentioned shooting 170GR. Try Federal Blue Box (Power Shok) 150GR. My 30AS finds it to be the most accurate and it has noticeable less recoil.

338MX Range Report 004_E20%.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts