Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I bought a pre cb 336 in 30-30 for Lever Silhouette but could never get the accuracy out of it that I thought I could. I have done everything that I can think of to improve the accuracy of this rifle. I have re-crowned it, did a complete McPherson job on thr forend and mag tube, glass bedded the butstcock and as a last result pressure lapped the bore. The best I can get is 2.5 to 3" round groups at a 100 yards with the best hand loads it likes. With loads it doesn't like closer 4'5" so I am fairly sure it is the barrel.

I want to have JES rebore it but can not make up my mind if I want go with 38-55 or 35-30. I read a lot of good stuff about the 38-55 but I don't cast my own bullets and don't think I will ever add that art to my life. I have been doing some research and bullet selection does not seem to be very good. With the growing popularity of the 35 legend there seems to be a lot better bullet selection. I would like to go with 32 special but I have heard that there isn't enough steel there to rebore for it.

All opinions welcome thanks.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
.38-55 is a classic, and you can get .377-.378-379-380" cast bullets from various manufacturers. Hawk makes jacketed soft points (.377) in 200, 220, 255, 280 grain weights if you're going to hunt with it. Brass should last forever, it's a low pressure round. Starline makes the brass. Could be a great choice. Or a .375 Win, just a little more modern version.

As for McPherson, I've always considered him a snake oil salesman selling wonder remedies out the back of his horse drawn wagon. And I'm not alone.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
35 Legend uses 355 bullets not 358. For silhouette I would look at a 35 caliber. 35-30 has the disadvantage of any wildcat in that cases all have to be formed and none are available ready to load. However the 35-30 has an excellent reputation with heavier 35 cal cast bullets which might be available for purchase. Its down range performance over a 38 cal should be better. Some use two die sets to load cases as the loading dies for a 35-30 are not cheap. Were I to re-bore my 30-30 Marlin, I would probably go with the 356 option. Dies are available at reasonable cost (358 Winchester dies) and it would be quite versatile for your use. Cases can be made from 307 brass which is now available and sometimes 356 brass shows up.

DEP

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
I was in the same predicament several years ago with my 1980 Glenfield 30A 30-30. It needed to be rebored because the bore was in rough shape.

But what caliber would suit me the best? I had many options because I'm already set up to reload. I didn't want a wildcat cartridge. I didn't want to have to form my own brass. I like the 38-55, but I don't shoot cast bullets. The 375 Winchester sounded like my best option. Brass was available from Starline and Jamison (spelling?), and the 200gr Sierra jacketed flat nose bullets were also available. I studied and compared the case and chamber dimensions of the 38-55 and the 375W. I chose the 375W and JES for the re-bore, and I have absolutely NO regrets about my decision. My Glenfield 375W is a very accurate rifle, and I can load it from mild to wild, using Trail Boss or H4198 powders. Therefore, I recommend the 375 Winchester, based on my own personal experience.

If you want to stay with the 35 caliber (.358 ), then I recommend the 356 Winchester. It's a real powerhouse cartridge, and there are more choices for bullet selection. Again I speak from personal experience, because I also own a 2002 Marlin 336CS that was re-bored to 356W by JES.

Best of luck with your rifle!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I love questions like those from the OP.

They give me the chance to learn. A lot.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one that is rebored to 38-55,and I love it, but the kind of accuracy you are getting already is plenty good enough for lever action silhouette.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I have to disagree, The 30-30 remlin I have that is taking its place will repeatedly put 5 rounds in a little over an inch at 100yds with several loads the one I will send to Jes shoots 3 inch groups. When I am shooting the ram at 200 meters it will be a 6+" group. The extra 4" of accuracy makes quite a difference.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have to disagree, The 30-30 remlin I have that is taking its place will repeatedly put 5 rounds in a little over an inch at 100yds with several loads the one I will send to Jes shoots 3 inch groups. When I am shooting the ram at 200 meters it will be a 6+" group. The extra 4" of accuracy makes quite a difference.
The ram is the size of a large dog, even 6"+ is all over it. Three inches at 100yrds is good enough to have confidence in the rifles ability. It is all shooter and lack of concentration after that.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
The ram is the size of a large dog, even 6"+ is all over it. Three inches at 100yrds is good enough to have confidence in the rifles ability. It is all shooter and lack of concentration after that.

A 3" group from a solid bench rest sure opens up some when shooting off hand on your hind legs, for me anyway.

·
Registered
903 Posts
No, no confidence in a three inch gun nutuhh.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
A 3" group from a solid bench rest sure opens up some when shooting off hand on your hind legs, for me anyway.
Yes, exactly, so why would it matter if the rifle could shoot MOA?

Lets say I wiggle four times as much standing, the 3" turns into 12.
Now if the rifle will shoot 1" off a rest I might just get 4" standing, maybe.
Ain't number fun?

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
I had Jesse rebore my Model 94 in 32 special to 38/55. The bore was trash, total sewer pipe. I was going to go with 35/30-30, but I'm glad I made the choice I did. Jesse cuts his 38/55's with a .375 groove diameter so you can shoot any jacketed bullet out there, using the short brass, so that shouldn't be an issue. My only suggestion though, is if you don't cast at all, why would you bother with either caliber? 38/55 and 35/30-30 really require a cast bullet to take full advantage of everything they have to offer. If you aren't going to cast bullets and load the 35/30-30 with the long heavy bullets that neck allows you to utilize, you're better off selling your rifle and getting a 35 Remington.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Lets say I wiggle four times as much standing, the 3" turns into 12.
Now if the rifle will shoot 1" off a rest I might just get 4" standing, maybe.
Ain't number fun?
A good shooter hits 20/40, so half the targets are missed by us, the way less than perfect shooter, now if you have a rifle shoots three MOA,by the numbers we could get 25% of those misses back from the less than perfect accuracy.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I believe rebore barrels are out in any case. Only original caIber allowed.

I have a distaste for recoil so I would more that likely go with a 38-55 rebore.
I've two 35 Reminton right now.
Lever Jac
back on topic, what kind of rools do you have to follow for your sillywet game? The 35-30 never was a factory chambering that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
I have a 35-30 that JES did several years ago. I don't play the silhouette games anymore so rules are of no concern to me. I like bullets near 250gr at near 2000fps and the 35-30 does that with finesse and a noticeable lack of recoil, at least for me. It is a jewel..brass is super simple and no new dies were needed. I size necks only with a 357 mag carbide sizer and seat and crimp with my 356 Winchester dies. I expand the 30-30's and 32spl's with the 356 Winchester tapered expander that Redding supplied with the die set. A set of 35-30 dies would be redundant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts